Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS and Treasure Hunting

landman

Is it possible to hunt and track with a GPS. If I have an acre of land in a wooded hilly area. Is it possible to hunt 1/3 and keep track where you where, plot it and then come back to the site and continue the search hunting another 1/3 and plot that to a map and continue doing this till completely done searching a predetermined area? If so what equipment do I need? How accurate and percise can this system provide? Will I be able, just with the GPS, to find the exact spot and begin again within 1 ft. 5 ft or 30ft. from where I left off?

I use mine (Garmin 60CSx ) all the time to track my path, then come home and print the track map out for future reference. You can mark way points and start the next time exactly where you left off. I even mark way points on my targets that way I know where a concentration of targets are.
JOE in MD

Get a hand held Magellan or Go to Delorme and luck at their hand held. The units will allow you to track yourself very closely (withing a meter or so) and lay down ad trail that can be offloaded and printed. The delorme units come with built in US Topo maps and cn have imagery of the area you are in as well. That way you will be able to discern the terrain before you go as well as look for landmarks etc. With a handheld you are able toknow pretty precisley were you are were you'v been and how to get back to a pot if you mark it as a ground point in the unit.

Have an older " GARMIN etrex Legend H ", an ad recently stated that one could input the locations of both active / inactive Gold mines using their software. This would be a great help in location finding as well as warning of claim- jumping. GPS " dumb "..... Thanks !!