Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS reviews

mcb613

Hello, hunted with a forum member last weekend. He showed me his GPS and recent tracks he had saved. Very obvious of the spots that have been missed while hunting. As a result, I have put one on my list for Santa. Would appreciate comments on models and particular uses for MD'ing. Thanks for the comments.
Regards,
Mike

I look up places on google earth,then put the co-ordinates on my gps and go right to them.

That sounds like a great plan. I have looked a little bit too but just not sure which places would be promising and which are just open areas. I would love to pick the brains of some of you veteran TH'ers. Maybe at the December meeting?

I use mine with google maps and google earth. I have a garmin and you can find a spot on google earth and then hit the map button on top and it goes to google maps and then you can send that spot right to your gps device(at least on garmin). Also they are good if you drive past a promising spot like I have with the family a few times and you can just hit a button and it will put that spot in so you can go right back to it. Also alot of them will give you a alternate route around traffic jams so you do not use valueble detecting time:laugh: No but serous they are a great all around tool not just for detecting but nice for traveling and finding where you are going.

Which Garmin are you using? I've got my eye on an Oregon 450, but hoping for another good sale like REI had a while back (249 and a $50 rebate) around Christmas...

Yes i like the Garmins!
I currently use a Nuvi most of the time!

LabradorBob

Thank you, Silvereagle and LabradorBob! I appreciate it.

P.S. Do you know the depth they can go in the water? Oh, & my husband just asked me if you use it (them) to mark your finds. We live near the beach and would like to mark where we've found items as well as use it on our boat to mark good fishing spots.

Delorme Units are rated to IPX7 waterproof standard .

Most handheld GPS units are rated to the IPX7 waterproofing standard; a pretty good standard that keeps the unit sound in the face of whatever a typical hike bike, run or other outing can throw at it. Some handhelds are rated to the IPX6 standard; which is a lower standard that doesn't offer the immersion capability that the IPX7 does...... Immersion capability? Yes, see below:

IPX6 Waterproof Standard

Heavy splashing and rain - This test sends water at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a rate of 100 liters/min at a pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters. Must not fail or show water seepage.

IPX-7 Waterproof Standard

Puddle, stream, beer cooler and splash rated - Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

That is they can be used in the rain/wet with no harm. This means momentary immersion. GPS Signals will not penetrate into water. You can buy sealable waterprrof bags for gear,
But they are not designed for diving...

Will work great fishing sailing and will handle a dunking and splash with no problems.

Great forum. I have a Magellan RoadMate and have discovered since I started using this forum that it only displays whole seconds where as Google Earth displays hundreths of Seconds. I'm not sure what a hundreth of a second translates to in feet but figured the more accurate the better. So, I thought I'd update. Stopped at Target last night and was looking at the display models and found some that display degrees to 5 decimal places; no minutes or seconds. I think I could do the math but don't want to unless I have to.
So please tell me folks, What're using and why do you like it?
Thanks, mac

mac,

I don't know what you mean by whole numbers but if you go to the "tool" screen on Google Earth and select "options" you will be able to select between 4 different ways that lat/long are displayed.

Hope this helps.