Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS - Revisited, a very very nice feature

earthmansurfer

At first I thought the GPS feature was nice. Not something I or most of us really need but I was looking at it from one perspective - Using it in the field to record spots.

But what I wasn't aware of is that you can use google maps to find a location (which I do) and then go out and try to find the location (e.g. - Section of a field, part of a forest, etc.) (which I do and often unsuccessfully!).
So, the GPS feature in this context is actually very very nice. Scout the net, find a potential location, load it into your CTX3030 and get within a few meters of it (what is the accuracy of the GPS?). Multiple locations, no problem.

Albert

It is on the CTX3030.com site under tech.

It uses a u-blox-NEO 6 with 2 m accuracy and 1 sec hotstart.

http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/NEO-6_ProductSummary_%28GPS.G6-HW-09003%29.pdf

I don't know how many times I get a property look on the satellite see land marks, Big trees, rock walls, depressions, etc, but because the sat pic was old or taken in the fall, you couldn't tell where the heck it was once the summer foliage hit. Looks to be extremely useful...

EXACTLY Evan. I remember finding a spot on Google Maps and when I got there the trees and such had grown differently over the years, I really didn't know where to start.

bfodness - Within 2 meters is really nice for consumer electronics. I mean, that is just two steps. You really could use this feature in a park even.

I get the feeling that many, if not most of us don't care much for GPS on a unit, but I also get the feeling this is going to really grow on us.

I also look forward to using this in the car, with a navigator of course. :crylol:

Albert

earthmansurfer said:
I also look forward to using this in the car, with a navigator of course. :crylol:

Albert
:rofl: just don't put it in the window cops may think you have rocket launcher on your dash....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: