Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPSMAP 60C

capnron

Just got a smokin deal on a used Garmin GPSMAP 60C at a local pawn shop. I immediately ordered Metroguide North America V6 and on arrival found that it does not work on the 60C. BUMMER but totally my fault. I did not realize there were incompatible units and software in the Garmin line. Sooooooo..I ordered Canada Topo which has good street coverage plus what seems like good topo coverage. Anyone else had this experience? I know that on the Garmin site they detail compatibility between GPSR's and software but on the site I bought my software from, it was mentioned but I somehow missed it. Oh well, expensive lesson learned.

capnron

AFAIK Metroguide should work just fine on 60C except, it will not autoroute.
I'm not sure but, you may have to get unlock code for MetroGuide to work on your receiver. Call Garmin.

MapSource Topo Canada is fine but if you want a really, really good Qubec or Ontario topo maps on a Garmin receiver, have a look at my www.canadianmaps.ca website. Just recently we introduced Garmin compatible topos based on 1:10K and 1:20K scale provincial coverage. Garmin is based on 1:50K federal...

Andrew Kalinowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> AFAIK Metroguide should work just fine on 60C
> except, it will not autoroute.
> I'm not sure but, you may have to get unlock code
> for MetroGuide to work on your receiver. Call
> Garmin.
>
> MapSource Topo Canada is fine but if you want a
> really, really good Qubec or Ontario topo maps on
> a Garmin receiver, have a look at my
> www.canadianmaps.ca website. Just recently we
> introduced Garmin compatible topos based on 1:10K
> and 1:20K scale provincial coverage. Garmin is
> based on 1:50K federal...
>
> Andrew Kalinowski

Thanks Andrew.
Metroguide is not locked and from what I read on the Garmin site, it does not list GPSMAP 60C as a compatible unit.
Your maps sound great.
Do you mean that they will load to the receiver? I thought only Garmin maps would load to a Garmin receiver.

capnron

On Garmin website, it's not really a list of compatible maps but a list of Garmin Recommended maps for the unit. Try loading MetroGuide maps with the "include routing detail" unchecked. AFAIK, it should work.

Yes, our maps load into Garmin receivers. Just to make sure that it works on yours, try a free sample of Ontario or Quebec. Note that if you load Garmin Topo Canada and our maps at the same time, you need to manually select in the receiver which ones to display. Anyway, try it and you will know how a topo maps SHOULD look like :yikes:

WOW:yikes: I downloaded as you suggested and the difference is, to say the least, breathtaking. To serious outdoors people, having that kind of detail in the palm of your hand would be amazing. Nice work.

capnron

Andrew Kalinowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On Garmin website, it's not really a list of
> compatible maps but a list of Garmin Recommended
> maps for the unit. Try loading MetroGuide maps
> with the "include routing detail" unchecked.
> AFAIK, it should work.
>
> Yes, our maps load into Garmin receivers. Just to
> make sure that it works on yours, try a free
> sample of Ontario or Quebec. Note that if you load
> Garmin Topo Canada and our maps at the same time,
> you need to manually select in the receiver which
> ones to display. Anyway, try it and you will know
> how a topo maps SHOULD look like
>
> Andrew Kalinowski

I've tried it on 3 different computers Andrew. I installed the drivers for the 60C and it links up (even upgraded the OS) but Metroguide NA will not talk to it. Metroguide Canada will, as will the Canada enhanced basemap, but MG NA V6 is a no go. Guess its time to E-bay the MG NA. Then I can buy one of your topos.

:thumbup:

capnron