Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gray ghost headphone

I use the gray ghost NDT headphones with my etrac, and I've had them for 4 months. Today while hunting, the left side headphone stop working. I know they have a lifetime warranty, but does anyone know how long it will take for them to be repaired? I'm sure it's probably a simple fix, but I just hate to be without them for a long time. I can probably have them repaired locally pretty cheap, and in one day, but I'm afraid it will void the warranty, just in case I need a major repair on them.

Mike

I also use the NDT's. I lost the use of both my headphone cords. So when the snows came, I got cabin fever, and unscrewed the plastic from the plug that attaches to the phones. There are 4 very tiny wires soldered to the plug in there, in one cord there was a cold solder joint and the wire came loose, so I just re-soldered it, then checked with a continuity tester to make sure they worked, they did. Then I opened the other cord the same way and found 3 wires that separated from the pins, soldered those back, tested, they worked. Took me about an hour to do both. WARNING! Use a low wattage soldering iron 15 or 25 watts and some fine solder......Good luck and HH...........NGE

Thanks for the information on the headphones. I will let one of the biomed guys take a look at them, I know they can solder much better than I can.

YVW. Another good reason to keep the Koss headphones that came with your Etrac, for when your NDT's break, you have ones to use till you fix them.....NGE

I have the Gray Ghosts Woods & NDT, and the 4 or more years of use have never had a problem with them, and I am not very easy on
my stuff.

I let the Biomed guy at work take a look at my headphones. The wire that runs from the left side to the right, was broken, about a inch from the earpiece. The wire was long enough to cut and solder back, they're working fine now.

Mike

I'm almost sorry I read this post. I ordered a pair 3 weeks ago and finally got them yesterday. The left side headphone doesn't work at all. :veryangry: I heard they were supposed to be good.
Doc

DigginDoc said:
I'm almost sorry I read this post. I ordered a pair 3 weeks ago and finally got them yesterday. The left side headphone doesn't work at all. :veryangry: I heard they were supposed to be good.
Doc

I'm sorry to hear that, what a drag. I love these headphones, but mine were only four months old when I had the problem with them, and I'm very easy on all my equipment.

Mike

That is sad to read of cold solder joint's in a product, there is no excuse for that. I don't have them and now never will, and glad I chose the SunRays. Normal wear problems are expected but not poor assembly.

Rick

That only happened with one cord. It was on the one with the 1/8th. inch plug, for my old Explorer XS, and I used that cord for over 2 years. My other cord is a 1/4" that I used for my Fisher 1266-X (now being used on my ET) But now that I have repaired both, I once again have faith in my NDT's. Also, I carry a butane powered soldering iron in my detecting kit bag for in the field repairs, duct tape, first aid kit, extra water, insulin, gluco tabs, Epi-Pen, Koss headphones, etc, etc...........NGE

I haven't had any problems with mine yet but their pretty new. Has anyone notified their customer service department? If it was my company, I would want to know if and why I was getting negative reviews.

My son has a set of Grey Ghosts I bought for him for Christmas 4 years ago and he has had no problems what so ever. I bought a new set two years ago for me but it has the replaceable cord as that is what normally goes bad on them. So far no problems with it as well.

I have sever hearing loss in both ears and have found the Grey Ghost phones to work well with my hearing assist devices. I Like the sound quality much better then the Koss UR-30's that came with my new E-trac.

I have used the E-Trac Emulator to see how well I can hear different pitches of sound for different targets and have found I can not always hear the changes in pitch with the Muti Tones setting so I just use the 4 tone setting and do pretty well. Just glad to be able to hear that well. I can't tell the difference between a silver coin and a clad but I do hear the higher pitch , and can tell when I hit a nickle, so I am happy. Rick : IL