Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Great Digging Tool!!

bobinyelm

I'd been thinking about buying a good digging tool like the Lesche Digger, but at $50 or so, it just seemed AWFULLY expensive.

I was at Lowes today and saw a "7-in-1 Planter's Buddy" tool made by True Temper (Lifetime Warranty) for under $12.

roundup_0000000000002239_image_01.jpg

It's super rugged, has two cutting sides (one ideal for sod), and will cut 6" deep. It hands a stout, well-shaped handle and
feels indestructible (time will tell on that, but hey, w/ a lifetime warranty, no big deal).

Look it up here: http://www.amestruetemper.com/plantersbuddy.htm

For 1/4th the price of the "real one," it's maybe worth a try!

Bob

I use to have one of those Ame's planters and it worked great and finally I bought a Lesche digger which I will say is better , but nothing wrong with the Ames ether . I sold my Ame's digger to my hunting buddy as part of a detector package I sold him a year ago and he is still using it and has never broken it .
Its a very good buy for anyone not wanting to spend a big price for a digger .

Harold

That digger works OK as long as you don't use it as a pry bar. I use my Lesche as a pry bar every time I dig and worth every cent to me.

And here I found something different!

Like they say, there is very little "new" under the Sun.

I couldn't resist trying to break it after reading the posts above.

I propped the metal tip up on a stone ledge with the handle on the ground and got most of my 230 pounds on it and no go, then failing that,
I used a 2X2 as a fulcrum with the end under one end of a 250 pound woodstove sitting on my back porch (Please don't ask why I have a 250 pound woodstove sitting on my back
porch-it's a long story.), and it lifted one end without flexing at all.

Maybe I just need to get one of those Lesche Diggers in my hands and I'll JUST have to have one, though I want a second coil before that I think. When dry, the soil in these parts turns to concrete*, so maybe it will do what
my intentional abuse could not.

Bob
*When wet, it is laughingly called "gumbo" that one can only scrape off a shovel or spade due to the very high clay content. Awful stuff.

I've had one of the True-Temper 7 in1 tools for over a year and find it works great.
Very comfortable and cuts the ground well.
In that year, it hasn't bent or broke. It has dulled a little, but still cuts very well.
The only thought I've had to improve it is to take it to the welding shop and have them hard face a tip on it.
Like Bob said at a quarter of the cost, I haven't found anything better.
JMHO

HH

I used to use a variety of diggers many years ago and they all seemed to work ok. Awhile back I decided to try out lesche and I am hooked. I'll never go back to any other brand. I think the lesche will out last me!
Ramon

I'm guilty of that too Larry. The True Temper was the best of the 4 or 5 different ones I destroyed along the way. The blade on it stood up, but the handle split apart.
Now with the Lesche, remarkably better.

Thanks for the field test Bob. I actually use the same digger at the moment although I plan on getting a Lesche.
HH
Scott

You can do a search on the forums, this digger has been discussed MANY times and the cheaper diggers do and will disappoint you at the most inopportune time. A one time test of strength is not the same as repeated stress, but like I said, for digging only it will work fine.

I went to Lowes today and bought the Planters buddy tool. I like it alot. No way this will bend or break easily. Cuts sod nicely. Fits and feels good digging the hard stuff. I'd buy another but from the looks of this thing I dought I'll have to.

I have to go along with the Lesche. Like most of the posters I've used several different diggers that were okay, but the Lesche is my favorite by far.
BB

That looks like a sweet digging tool for the money. Good find at the local hardware store. I got my Lesche for free by getting a gift certificate from Whites that I received for sending in a photo and having the story published on their website. Next time you find something pretty cool just snap a couple photos out on site, write a motivating positive story and email it to Whites and bingo most likely you'll receive a $100 gift certificate to go shopping with.

I been using the ames for 2 years now and it's never let me down yet and I have used it several times to pry with (knocks on wood) but I do keep a couple other diggers in my truck just in case.
Another thing I remember use to be here in TN it was against the law to carry a knife around with a blade over I think it was 6" and I'm sure that law still stands I don't know if they would consider the lesche digger a knife or not.

I tried the tools from lowes and wasted my money. I got a lehcse well worth the money, but to each his on happy hunting.

Well Bob I picked up a Lesche and, yeah, it IS a lot better tool. MHO
HH
Scott

save your money & buy the lesche, after i bought all the other brands & not happy with them , could have bought 2 lesche, hh jay.