Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Great Idea- "Show Off" Trash In Clear Plastic Bag As You Hunt To Help Improve Perceptions/Help Work Against Bans.

Critterhunter

Ran across this in the Tesoro forum and must say I think it's a killer idea...

mike5853 said:
Show off your Trash!! That's right, show it off! I always keep my trash in a plastic see-through zip bag and when I'm in a new park or a park I hunt regularly, I always present it to anyone who stops by to see how I'm doing. Whether it's a park employee or someone out for a walk, show them the trash and let them know you're helping to keep the park both clean, and safe. You'd be amazed how their eyes light up when you show them and I've always receive a "Thank you". One day I recovered a 30/06 live round and when the park employee saw that they responded with "HOLY S###"! Now when they see me hunting they always wave or say hi, and of course when they ask how I'm doing, I always make sure to show them the good finds and the trash.

Now THAT's a great idea there! Never heard that before, and I think it's a fantastic way to improve perceptions of this hobby in the public's eye. Too many "detectorists" using shovels in public parks, not filling holes, or not doing a good job by using 3 sided flap plugs and such to act as a hinge and fall back into the hole right to hide them better. Stuff like that and people not carting out the trash they find and so on. Even at the beaches it's important to fill holes. I say video people from a distance who are doing that sort of thing and let them know they are going to be a youtube sensation because of it. Might shame a few into submission, never wondering who's watching down the road. Should be a youtube "Wall Of Shame" channel for people to throw such stuff up on.

Bans popping up all over the net due to people pulling stunts like that, and it's only going to get worse with these TV shows with an influx of newbies thinking they are going to strike it rich every day out there, so any little thing to improve the image of this hobby might help fight the momentum of ban city in some places.

I liked that idea so much of using a clear bag to improve perceptions that I'm going to try it myself here. Maybe a zip lock bag hung off the front of my cheap Home Depot apron. That'll also then free up the two pouches it has for clads on one side and silver or other good keepers on the other that I don't want mixing around with the clads. Any ideas on how to hang a zip lock off a pouch that will hold up to some weight being put into it? Not talking a super large ziplock here, just one big enough to do the job between emptying at garbage cans.

If the bag can be hung off the front of an apron some how you won't have to pull the trash out to show people as it will be right there for anybody walking by or "spying" on you to see. Kind'a like a walking advertisement for one reason why detecting shouldn't be banned at such places being hunted.

Some parks you'd need several large trash bags. I don't get the mindset of people who who leave trash behind.

One time I saw trash come out a car window, a couple soda cups and sandwhich wrappers. I pulled up next to the car and said "yo! why don't you take your trash home a throw it on your front lawn you f-ing a$$hole"
Reflex action kicks in before thinking things through sometimes. They looked at me and sped off, throwing more trash out the window...Punks.