Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

great lakes hunting

mike k.

ALWAYS hearing about ocean metal detecting . What about great lakes U.S and Canada ? These lakes are almost ocean like , but on a smaller scale . Were talking about lakes Erie , Huron, Michigan Ontario , Superior, and Ontario . Ive Found hundreds of gold and silver items in these lakes. No one ever reports of they,re hunting at these great bodies of water on this forum .

I used to hunt Lake erie probably 10 times a yr some yrs back... Due to recent health issues haven't been there in 3-4 seasons now... I do remember in particular one trip up there, my hunting buddy and myself arrived at the lake shore and there wasn't a ripple in the water..( which is a never occurring thing ). water was crystal clear, standing in hip deep water you could see the bottom remarkably well... Just walked along picking up a chain here, large earings there. and even scored a larger 10kt ring.. Never seen those conditions ever again.!!

Mark ( ohio )

Yes I always check wind charts and try to go detecting at the great lakes when the wind is blowing against the water . ,that way you can get out farther with less turbulance . If you get a windy against the beach condition , you could surf these waves . They are the same as any ocean , and have swamped many ships. - mike

I have wondered if folks were detecting lake Erie as I have never seen anyone post finds and say that they came out of the lake. Did a bit of fishing up there a few years back but was not detecting back then. I have detected a number of lakes in SE Ohio but found nothing.

Just had a 2hr hunt at a very popular beach in North West ,Pennsylvania. (A bust) I've only hunted it maybe a dozen times through the yrs. The hunters who are handy pound it hard. Than guys like me hit it once in awhile. And your right Mike there's plenty of hunting around these Great Lakes. There are still detecting clubs uppere, probably more than I think. The Ring Finders are active. No doubt the old wise policy of. "Tell No One" is being practiced. And I don't blame them.

If it was closer I would hit Lake M. a lot!!!

I have hunted the Lakes and done well for the time I was there but like the rest of the country the trend away from gold is taking it's toll........

I do know several hunters who hunt the lakes and seems the gold has been declining over the last 5 years. Then you add on the Higher water level of 5 to 6 more feet and It's bad. From a few hunters I know In the Chicago area I think they may have 10 gold rings each for the year, one reason they have started looking else where, now the Hot spots are the rivers and lakes, on the older gold.

Detroit Free Press said:
Some Great Lakes water levels hit record highs in June and are only expected to keep climbing, prompting concern from Michigan officials for waterfront communities already flooded.

Lake Superior, Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario set record high monthly mean water levels in June, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reported this week. Lake Michigan-Huron was less than 1 inch short of its June record.

“Water levels continued to rise in June and have reached some of the highest levels in our recorded history, which dates back to 1918,” said Keith Kompoltowicz, chief of watershed hydrology for the Corps’ Detroit district.
ater levels on Lakes Erie, Superior and St. Clair broke records in May, too.

The situation has prompted emergency response measures from the local and state levels as communities deal with the consequences of simply having too much water.

Overflowing lakes have flooded lakefront properties, eroded shoreline and erased beaches, officials with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources said. High waves, strong currents and hidden debris create hazards for recreational boaters

I've spent quite a bit of time hunting the beaches ... northern Lake Ontario and Erie occasionally. I don't do water though. A steady supply of gold chains, watches, earrings and coins can be found up along where the bushes meet the sand - where couples go just after dark and bump uglies in the dark. They roll around and things break or just come off. The sand is by far THE easiest to hunt in - well except for winter because then the beaches are frozen solid and any hits would need explosives to get to. I find it extremely relaxing and every once in a while I'm rewarded with a little ankle bracelet or a ring that has popped off some part of her bod ...:clapping:

I’ve wondered about detecting Lake Superior but the water is so cold year round can’t imagine many people swim it. If they did though their fingers would surely shrink & possibility for lost rings would be great