Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Greatest oldest finds of my 20 years of metal detecting

ramer

I was given permission to hunt an area where the 2nd largest Seneca Indian tribe in New York State lived. In 1630, several Jesuit priests from France visited this area and brought with them rings (known now as Jesuit Rings), tiny bells (known as French Trade Bells), and copper cooking pots. The priests lived amongst these Indians from 1630 to about 1660 when after the Indians became increasingly hostile towards them, they got out of dodge....in a hurry.
I believe these items brought by these French priests were an attempt to bribe the Indians into becoming Catholics. Indians had never seen ANYTHING made out of metal. Indians had never used metal because they never knew about metals. These priests were the first whites they had ever encountered.
These finds may be some of the oldest finds ever uncovered in the US. They are the greatest finds of my 20 years of metal detecting. Amongst the pics you will see musket balls fired by the French army when they invaded this area in 1667 and wiped out this Seneca tribe, burning their lodges and crops.
As icing on the cake I also found a large cent and an 1864 Indian head penny.
And also, not sure of their dates, but two buttons.

Whlich rings are the early ones, the 2 black and smaller one? Also, are the bells on the right, the early bells you mentiionef?

It looks like the played and corroded crucifix ring is alot newer than 1600s and the three bells looks to be common crotal bells?
Ive found several of those bells and most people call them crotals.

Please redirect me to the correct pieces, as Im interested in the early stuff.

Thx and looks like a great spot regardless of what is what.

The 3 rings, the French Trade Bells, and the musket balls are all from the 1600's. In doing my research, I've learned that the French Jesuits brought these rings and bells with them from France to give to the Indians.
My research showed pics where archeologists unearthed several Indian graves. The skeletons all had these rings on their fingers. The French Trade Bells were known as Hawk Bells in France because they attached them to
the legs of hawks that were being trained by the French. As you can see, the
bells are really small. I've found plenty of Croata bells in the past, but none were as small as the ones pictured.
Since the Jesuits took up residence for 30 years beginning in 1615, in the field I found these rings at, I am convinced the rings and bells are from the 1600's.
The French army invaded and destroyed this Seneca camp in 1667, thus, the musket balls are likely from guns fired by the French army. The diameter of the musket balls are
the exact diameters used back then by the French. The smaller musket ball may have come from a flint lock pistol.

How far from Candaigua are you hunting?
No exacts, just curious... I built a jail there about 15 yrs ago and spent alot of time up there. Unfortunately, that time period was one which I was out of detecting,

Good luck there! Sounds like that site may be one of cery early use that activity shut off at some point? Is there 1800s coins there, from later use?

Take care and enjoy your hunts there!

You had a very good hunt. Very nice finds!!
Congratulations!

Ramer, congratulations on those great finds! NY has some prime detecting ground for certain. Whenever I visit western NY, I always leave with a few goodies! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Very cool finds...if those rings are what you think they are they are truly something very special, they look very old too..congrats. .