Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground balance question

SkiWhiz

I have a T2 that I will be using when the snow goes,etc. It is my first detector that I have had that reads out the ground # & I was wondering you's that have a detector that displays the ground #'s do you adjust your sensitivity and discrimination differently as to the ground reading where you are hunting or do you set your sens. as high as possible and your disc. low for all your hunting areas. Just curious.

Hello Ski...I usually hunt for CW relics. I do sens. at 85 sens. 0 disc. BP. My ground readings are in the 70's. When I get into some heavy iron, I'll go with 40 on disc. This is pretty much my overall settings for all my sites but will occasionally bump up the sens. Good luck! Robert

I have the t2 classic too,and I run 51 disc,it is supposed to be deeper at disc over 50.I run send at 90,3 tones ....the only time I rebalance is when that graph goes up or down one bar below when I first started.To my knowledge sense and disc have no affect to that graph reading.

HanoverDigger said:
Hello Ski...I usually hunt for CW relics. I do sens. at 85 sens. 0 disc. BP. My ground readings are in the 70's. When I get into some heavy iron, I'll go with 40 on disc. This is pretty much my overall settings for all my sites but will occasionally bump up the sens. Good luck! Robert

I don't think he has the SE model I think he just has the Classic so he does nt have the BP mode

The higher sensitivity only comes in around 50 if you raise it above that point it goes back to normal sensitivity. How do you notice the graph going up or down?

When I hit iron I usually Bob the coil a little to see how much is in that area,if its alot I find a clean place,or try to,and fastgrab.Not all the time,But some places I hunt ,the ground is just saturated with tiny bits of iron,20 feet away its clean.

When you turn on the unit leave it in the default settings. Then find a clean spot of ground, turn sensitivity down to 45, set disc at 0 leave it in tone 1 and ground balance. It ground balances great with those settings. After that adjust the settings to whatever suits your hunting site. :detecting:

Thanks everyone,appreciate it.

What 2much says is right on, I even go a little further down on sens. at 30 when gb but it does seem to make a difference.

supertraq said:
The 10 - 49 disc settings were quiet, no emi.... Just set the disc where ever you want and then adjust the sensitivity as high as conditions allow.

That's what I do,normally the 21 disc.and run as much gain as possible.

supertraq said:
That's what I do,normally the 21 disc.and run as much gain as possible.

That's exactly how I ran Paul's (Old California) T2 that he loaned me for a while. Nice machine and deep on coins.

When Monte put his T2 Classic up for sale I couldn't resist and had to have it.

Hey all. I will be nosing in on your conversations once in a while. I also need some pointers on the t2se. I bought mine new 3 years ago. I used it for about a half an hour. Then I had some unexpected health problems. The new detector sat in a closet untouched. I have my health back now (hence the user name "rebound") and I'm anxious to get out and dig again. I'm not new to detecting. I bought a new explorer2 when they first came out. I still have it for now. But due to its weight and my health. I decided the T2 would better suit my needs.

Just out of curiosity I tried something with the T2 SE in a junky park yesterday. I turned the unit on, cranked the sensitivity all the way up and the discrimination all the way down,,, then ground balanced,,, then made adjustments for hunting. It seemed to balance quickly and worked fine during the hunt. After a while I pushed the trigger forward and the balance number only dropped one number. What would be the advantage/disadvantages of lowering or raising the settings for ground balancing?

Ya know, I hope Dave J. Reads this post and lets us know if it matters one way or another what settings you are in when you ground balance. When you pull the trigger you're in all metal pin point anyway. Not disc. Seems too me now it's been a crap shoot as far as ground balancing goes. I'd love to finally find out the proper way.

TEKNETICS Comprehensive Operating Manual & Guide to Metal Detecting GROUND CANCELLATION
What is Ground Cancellation? All soils contain minerals. Signals from ground minerals are often tens or hundreds of times as strong as the signal from a buried metal object. The magnetism of iron minerals, found in nearly all soils, causes one type of interfering signal. Dissolved mineral salts, found in some soils, are electrically conductive, causing another type of interfering signal.
Ground Cancellation is the process by which the metal detector cancels the unwanted ground signals while leaving signals from buried metal objects intact. This is accomplished by establishing the detector’s internal Ground Phase setting; this setting is calibrated to the soil and eliminates the ground minerals’ signal.
When the detector is calibrated to the actual soil condition, the result will be deeper target detection, quieter operation, and more accurate target identification. This calibration, or Ground Cancellation, can be accomplished automatically with the detector’s internal computer, by pushing the Trigger Switch forward, or manually in the All Metal menu.
The ground cancellation setting carries through into both All Metal and Discrimination Modes. In Discrimination Mode, the ground signal is generally inaudible unless the discrimination setting is 0.
AUTOMATIC GROUND CANCELLATION PROCEDURE (FASTGRAB™) 1. Find a spot of ground where there is no metal present. 2. Hold the detector with the searchcoil about one foot above the ground. 3. Push the TRIGGER SWITCH forward with your index finger. 4. Physically pump the searchcoil and detector up and down over the ground. Lift it about 6-inches above the ground and lower it to within 1 inch of the ground, about once or twice a second. 5. A 2-digit value will appear on the display. This is the Ground Phase setting. If the detector’s internal computer is unable to cancel the ground signal, the message CAN’T GC will appear; find another spot of ground and try again.
TEKNETICSComprehensive Operating Manual & Guide to Metal Detecting GROUND CANCELLATION (continued)
MANUAL GROUND CANCELLATION In most situations, it is preferable to push the trigger switch to activate FASTGRAB™ automatic ground cancellation. Generally

Thanks for the post Elton,,, it answers a different question I was meaning to look up at some point. I had always assumed that the GB setting carried over between modes,,, now I know.

So if I'm understanding correctly,,, pushing the trigger forward for FASTGRAB puts the detector in it's own all metal "presets" that overrides or ignores any settings that we may have made in discrimination mode prior to GB? Thus the machine doesn't care what settings we make,, the FASTGRAB ground balancing process will always be based on the same preset settings?

That is my assumption..as it carries over to either disc or all metal settings. It also says it is a superior way of GB rather than manual.

Something I learned early on.In really trashy ground where it's impossible or almost impossible to get a ground balance.. Leave it at pre set 90 in disc mode and just detect.
You will be surprised at how well that works. A preset 90 is better than a bad ground balance.....:)