Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance vs. Noise Cancel

masterjedi

Ground Balance vs. Noise Cancel

I Noise cancel everytime I go out with my CTX or change locations, but I never ground balance. Somewhere I read not to ground balance but cant remember where? How many of you use the ground balance feature and why?
Thanks

Gary from Oregon

I also noise cancel every time I go out and every time I change locations. However, I've never manually used the ground balance option.

I noise cancel quite often especially if my sensitivity numbers are jumping around. I was taught that ground balance robs you of depth and should only be used in cases of extremely mineralized ground. I don't know but would consider sensitivity of 6 or lower a place I would ground balance. I think you might reach out to Sube with this question as he is well versed on the CTX.

I noise cancel frequently , especially around other Minelab detectors.
As Carolina says , GB is for bad ground and even though I run into a lot of it , I seldom GB. One of the things that makes the ground here bad is it's constantly changing mineralization and I think the tracking ability of the CTX probably keeps the machine closer to the ideal GB , even on bad ground , than I would by constantly having to adjust it on my own. If I was detecting in small areas of bad ground where every bit of depth was critical , like maybe curb strips , I might do the GB thing more often.

sprchng said:
I noise cancel frequently , especially around other Minelab detectors.
As Carolina says , GB is for bad ground and even though I run into a lot of it , I seldom GB. One of the things that makes the ground here bad is it's constantly changing mineralization and I think the tracking ability of the CTX probably keeps the machine closer to the ideal GB , even on bad ground , than I would by constantly having to adjust it on my own. If I was detecting in small areas of bad ground where every bit of depth was critical , like maybe curb strips , I might do the GB thing more often.

Seriously,the above is correct. Noise cancel and GB don’t necessarily have a direct relationship,but like Carolina said, if you have noise cancelled and the screen is still unstable at your current Sensitivity setting,then you have choices. You can try a smaller coil,walk away from that area,try to re-noise cancel automatically,try to choose a noise cancel channel manually,OR...turn down the Sensitivity. Dialing back Sensitivity should be the “last gasp” option,as it’s going to affect your operational depth the most.
The machine is designed to track the ground conditions very precisely and does it really well. You’d have to be a hell of a CTX guru to set the GB better than it can by itself,UNLESS,as stated,the ground conditions are SO bad that there is nothing left to try. I’ve only ever seen my green “Suggested Sensitivity” number go below 12 once or twice. You CAN have pretty high running numbers and an unstable machine due to EMI. To me it’s about running as stable a machine as I can,so I can capitalize on the CTXs superior ID information.
I don’t know if this made it better or worse...:lol:

Thanks IDXM and everyone for your responses... I recently saw a guy post that he ground balances all of the time and I was like WT? I dont... LOL I want to be sure I do not miss anything with this super Detector!!

Gary from Oregon

quote="\"Carolina\""]
I noise cancel quite often especially if my sensitivity numbers are jumping around.​

Correct, sensible action Tom, and if that doesn't resolve or reduce your problem, the you go AUTO,and plus or minus for optimum stability and associated depth; Or its MANUAL-SENS equivalent.

>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<​

I was taught that ground balance robs you of depth and should only be used in cases of extremely minerallized ground

Was it bad teaching Tom?....or did you misconstrue what was said?

It was meant to be;- BAD GROUND robs you of depth.....not... BAD GROUND-BALANCE robs you of depth. .Bad GB can cause unstable and inaccurate VDI's.

FERRITE soils, 'UNBALANCES' your search-coil's INTRINSIC INDUCTION-BALANCE; i.e. The manufacturer's 'fixed' induction-balance at time of manufacture, of the search-coil.

Subsequently, they then can provide you, with the facility to ELECTRONICALLY balance out the unbalancing effect of FERRITE mineralisation in the ground. i.e. You use GB.

******************************************​

I don't know but would consider sensitivity of 6 or lower a place I would ground balance. .[/quote]

I think you mean :- I don't know but would consider AN AUTO-sensitivity of 6 or lower, indicates. a place I would ground balance.

Which is rational, Tom; together with the realisation that depth of detectability will suffer, which is inevitable; but at least you will detect in a more stable manner......matt.

Hi Matt: Thanks for dissecting my comments. Bad teaching or not, I stand by what I said. As for my comment on sensitivity it goes without saying I'm discussing Auto sensitivity.
By the way, I'm at 87 gold rings this year, how bout you? Thanks again for your brilliance!!!

I'm curious as to what your junk jewelry ratio to gold ratio is. Around here, there has been a major decline in wearers of gold jewelry. Most are opting for silicone rings or tungsten/stainless rings. I hunt freshwater so I don't have as many depositors as the salt beach sites; my ratio this yr is 20 to 1 on junk rings vs gold.

My junk ring to gold ring drastically changed when I started researching old beaches of the past. If I stay with the present day beaches 20 to 1 is within reason for a ratio. This is what sent me on a hunt for a better way. A lot of my beaches now, are not beaches anymore. Just rip rap to save the land, now accessible by water only. Living in the bay area, there are many " private" beaches accessible by water, that my maritime rights allow me to hunt. Many times a site may look terrible yet ring after ring come out over and over. At the risk of sounding racist, beaches that attract, Mexican, Indian, and African American patrons produce more gold for me. Caucasians seem to wear the junk rings you have mentioned.
You must and I can't stress this enough, go out chest deep in the water to increase your finds. Damp and dry sand do produce some gold, but the water is most productive. I would suggest over the winter months that you take off, to google your area and old photo's looking for a patch of dry sand. It does not have to be a lot, just old. When in the water, I use my Excaliburs and I almost always hunt in PP mode. Just a slight ramp up ramp down of the threshold is what I listen for. Another trick I use on occasion is to hunt in PP with threshold only, no volume. I turn the volume off and only listen ever so closely to my threshold. Well, I hope your gold take increases and give some of this a try. Good luck to you.