Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground balancing problem (I think) V3i

Silverblooded

Hi guys,

I don't know if you all have experianced this or not, when I try to pinpoint a target (in any program, VCO on) and if I lift the coil up off the ground (with the trigger still squeezed) the tone increases as if it were over a target. When I go over a hole (and no metal in it ) it acts like there is a target there. I have tried every which way to balance it, it's not running hot (nice and stable) either. On the ground it's quiet but I lift it a little bit, it "hits" like a target that the VCO pinpointed. All of this is with the trigger squeezed in pinpoint mode.

I hope this isn't confusing.

Silver.

I forgot to add, if anyone has had this problem what was the fix????

It's called "lift-off" and it usually means it is not properly balanced. Are you doing a manual GB when you turn on the unit? (pumping the detector up and down until it smooths out)

Also you may try turning off the auto trac feature. I use lock track because I found that the detectors balance drifts after a while while in auto.

Also have you messed around with the SAT speed? Change it back to the default to make sure that is not the issue.

Neil is correct. I never use auto trac. Especially in trashy areas.
I believe sat speed is only usable if you are running mixed mode and doesn't apply otherwise.

The SAT only applies to the all metal channel. So as Magic said, unless you are running all metal or one of the mixed modes leave it at the default.

Neil is correct about lift off. The drifting of the G/B could mean you need to adjust your tracking speed. Also some people experience drifting while the coil is pointed in the air during digging. You can try pressing the menu button during digging. This will stop this drifting.

If your ground is bad enough you may need to to use locktrac.

I will try turning the autotrack off. I didn't make any adjustments to anything on it other than the all metal, discrimination,VCO and polar plot. So the SAT is at default. When I ground balance it almost never quiets down like everyone says that it should.

I'm going to change loops and see if that will change things back to normal. Is there a video out there showing the proper way to GB this machine? Do you rachet it down or just bob it up and down from the same height? I tried both ways and get the same results. My warrenty is up in May so I will try to get a video on here showing the problem. That way if I'm doing something wrong maybe someone can correct me and save me some time. I will follow up ASAP, tomorrow it's supposed to rain....

Thank you you bunch of treasure hunters! ARRRRGH!!!!
Silver.

Okay, I tried it with the auto trac off and lock trac on. Problem solved! Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Silver.

Problem not solved.......................
Sending it in to Whites and let them kick the tires before the warranty expires. Also, sometimes no sound when pinpointing with VCO.

Silverblooded said:
Problem not solved.......................
Sending it in to Whites and let them kick the tires before the warranty expires. Also, sometimes no sound when pinpointing with VCO.

Iam having the same problem with the no sound while pinpointing, not all the time just sometimes.

Midmodigger, that will happen sometimes if you start pinpointing on top of the target. Always move the coil off to the side of the target, squeeze the trigger and then move the coil back over the target.

Larry (IL) said:
Midmodigger, that will happen sometimes if you start pinpointing on top of the target. Always move the coil off to the side of the target, squeeze the trigger and then move the coil back over the target.

I always start from the side and still have the problem. When you pinpoint AND analyze you have to start from the side and wait for the threshold before you sweep.

Silverblooded, I'm sure your problem is different, that is why I responded to Midmodigger pinpointing comment.

I have no issues with that. Sorry if it sounded as if I did. I should have stated it as a FYI or something of that nature. Sometimes people don't wait for the audible threshold before they pinpoint or analyze and that gives a false reading.

No no no no. No insult implied or taken. We're all good here!:detecting:

Silver.

If you are using the d2 coil because it is large sometimes there are where you pinpointing more than one target. It happens to me but i found that deeper iron near your target probably will not sound in a normal sweep but it will when you are trying to pinpoint. So try to slow your sweeps when you are on a target and concentrate to see if really exist another thing there. This is what i do and i know is not easy when this is happening, it is driving you crazy, but you earn after all things, with patience.