Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Grumpy Old Man's Rant

BarberBill

I can't help but wonder what(or if) people are thinking when they post the question - "I have the chance ot hunt such and such a property or location what can I expect to find there?" Seems to me the only really valid or accurate answer to this is detect it and find out. How can anybody give a definite answer? There's enough randomness in this hobby that it's common to find a true goody anywhere and none in what would seem like an ideal location or a lot in one hunt and little or nothing in the next. This randomness is why I suggest never turning off your detector until you arrive back at your vehicle. Okay, I've gotten it off my chest. Happy hunting in 2014 everyone.
BB

Well said...I "feel" and agree with your sentiment as well. One of the many reasons I love this hobby is the UNKNOWN and the SEARCH for it...........not a lazy persons endeavor.

Thats the problem with people today is'nt it,a lot of people are always looking for the easy way out........results without effort.It's human nature i'm afraid and why a lot of detectorists are relying more on vdi and tone id.Let them carry on I say as it means that a lot of treasures will remain for those that don't mind putting in the extra effort.

Nauti Neil said:
Thats the problem with people today is'nt it,a lot of people are always looking for the easy way out........results without effort.It's human nature i'm afraid and why a lot of detectorists are relying more on vdi and tone id.Let them carry on I say as it means that a lot of treasures will remain for those that don't mind putting in the extra effort.
I second that. Just go and hunt it.... KEN

You just gotta wonder who dresses these people in the morning after reading some of the questions they ask.
I have been in retail sales for 48 years. Some of these people, if they worked for me, would be standing in the soup line in no time.

I have the chance to hunt a school tot lot today. Can I expect to find a zinc penny there? If not, where can I find zinc pennies? Thanks in advance.

That's what this forum is for .Posting finds, asking questions,

and communication with others of like mind..

It's their way of blending in, and making contact. I think that is an ok thing to do........ Some people just dread trying to communicate with new people, and don't really know where to start.
So..They ask hoping someone with a little experience hunting that type site will respond back and a line of communication will open up. I think that is ok too.. Shoot I have hunted similar sites and found similar items.. I could pass that info on to a newbie or less experienced hunter... True they may not find exactly what I did..or you, a really experienced awesome detectorist. But they would sorta know where to start looking in the number range for some of the same stuff..

I have learned a ton of how too's from you over the years Bill ............ and you always had the answer..even though I bet some of my question were really stupid ones from some point of views..but were brilliant from the stand point of less experienced people who read these forums and want to learn.. ( Well Maybe not Brilliant- considering it was me asking.:rofl:) but you know what I mean.

I guess I kind of agree with Elton on this. We all started some place in this hobby. Not knowing what to do. How to do it. Where to hunt.
What will I find and so on. I started new a little over 30 years ago. I did not have anyone to ask these questions too. Maybe to many of us they are a little silly.
To a newbie they are all new questions that they don't know.
So, maybe we need to try and just answer the best we can.
Some day they will be able to answer that same question to another newbie.
You have to start someplace... I still ask questions some times, I think we all do... KEN

Well.....(One) of the best places to find zincs is in a persons piggy bank.---You will be AMAZED at the number of zincs that end up there!-----Another good area(s) is to follow me around where I pull my car keys out of my pocket--that's ALWAYS a good area to hunt zincs.---Might even be a clad or two there also (after my paydays, of course)!!------Hope this helps some & h.h.
Pastor bob said:
I have the chance to hunt a school tot lot today. Can I expect to find a zinc penny there? If not, where can I find zinc pennies? Thanks in advance.

Look in your pocket for zinc cents, the chances are most if not all the pennies are the zincs. If you strike out at the school or your pocket, go to your bank, they have them by the zillions. :biggrin:

Larry (IL) said:
Look in your pocket for zinc cents, the chances are most if not all the pennies are the zincs. If you strike out at the school or your pocket, go to your bank, they have them by the zillions. :biggrin:

.............................:rofl:......................:clapping:..............:lol:

Banks too easy Larry!----It's "the challenge of the hunt" for those allusive zincs! :lmfao:
Larry (IL) said:

Well, i'll tell you what, some of my best researched-promising sites produced nothing of value.
On the other hand, some of the impromptu sites i searched by just passing by were a treasure trove.

Having said that, i can't fault a newbie detectorist with no learn'ed clue to ask questions even if those questions seem dumb to some of us who've been around the block. I've been there, done that too!

One never knows until the coil is swept!

I guess we all ask what seem to be dumb questions to some. I will probably ask a dumb one before long........:confused:

Well, for the most part I think any question that a person doesn't know is a good question and lord knows I've asked some over the years. What I was getting at are the ones whose logic is equivalent to - Do you think I can throw a ball X yards? The logical response is throw it and see. How could any one know till you try it? I have lots of patience with the questions that don't understand grounjd balance, which coil is the better choice etc. My experience to date is never assume any location isn't worth a try. Some times it really pays off and sometimes you get exercise and maybe a little more experience. But like I posted, I'm getting to be a grumpy old man, but at least I'm still swinging the coil on this side of the turf.
BB

My lord, I have been answering questions far too long on this forum.....:stars: I think I have graduated to the grumpy old men's club too Bill. :crazy:

There's a big pile of grump to pick from and plenty to go around. I try to stay away from it but my tongue gets sore....so what do ya do...

Well, thanks all. You've helped me get grumped out. Have a great year detecting in 14.
BB