Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

H.L. Hunley ( New Information) what may have happened ???

Elton

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C.

Not too long after she was raised and brought ashore I was able to go see her. I am a retired U S Navy Submariner and I had a hard time keeping my composure as I stood there looking at that boat knowing that the crew was still entombed in her. There is a kinship between submariners that is hard to describe. We mourn the loss of each submariner regardless of what time or Nation one served.

There was a picture of it on Yahoo news recently. 8 men crammed into that thing? wow. Also hand cranked propeller. Totally amazing. They died for what they believed in.

So what we now speculate is that the spar mounted torpedoe did get rammed to the hull of the target ship but rather than harpooned to the side and allowing the Hunley to back away a safe distance the torpedoe detonated while Hunley drove the spar home.. Thus the Hunley sank her target and herself at the same time.

Sad... Dont get the impression that a skeleton crew was sitting at their seats when the Hunley was rcovered. The remains had setled to the floor of the vessel but each area for a crewman exhibited bones so only minimal sorting was needed and the placement was such that they appeared to all have died at "stations" Hunley was silted up good. Personal artifacts including a gold coin aided in the identifications. The crew was removed from the vessel and interred in cemetary with full military honors..