Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Had a Good Last Couple of Days

AngelicStorm

Hey everyone. I have been flying under the radar for a little bit. These are the finds from my last two hunts which includes today. The first hunt yielded a 10k gold ring, what looks to be a silver or gold flower with no markings, a Civil War Naval button, and a few wheats. Today's hunt yielded several wheats, a police button, a mercury dime, a silver piece of jewelry that appears to have some initials on it, an indian head penny, and what looks to be a brooch or decoration piece made of what I'm sure to be gold. The dates from the wheat pennies are 1909 x2, 1913, 1918, 1919s, 1920s, 1930, 1934, and several wheats from the 40s/50s. The mercury dime is a 1927 with no mint mark. The Indian Head Penny is a 1900. The police button is from the 1870s and silver plated if I am correct on my research. The gold ring almost fits me perfectly "not that I am ready for marriage" :lol:. The silver piece of jewelry with what looks to be initials appears to maybe come off a thin necklace or bracelet with the initials being C.A. or G.A.. I would love to know exactly what the gold "brooch/decoration" thing is. It has no markings, but I am abesolutely sure it has to be solid gold the way it looks and how the dirt effortlessly wiped off. If this is early 1800s or pre-1800s gold, I would be stoked. I know a lot of really old jewelry wasn't marked. Here are the pictures.....

IMG_0484_zpsb3e35118.jpg
IMG_0487_zps9b047395.jpg

IMG_0488_zps281e22d3.jpg
IMG_0490_zpsc2e35177.jpg

a671e88c-9c19-4d1e-8cb8-15947f8e6b4d_zps9bac42a8.jpg

Looks like you did pretty good. Those are some good dates on the wheats. I'm sure you checked those '09's. Interesting jewelry finds as well.

Nice finds. Your ratio of nickel to silver is the opposite of what I normally see - you must really be going slow and paying attention to each deep signal. I'm the same way, so appreciate the diligence...I just don't have the great finds that you do this year! Congrats and eventually one of those nickel signals will be gold!

Thanks

surfman said:
Looks like you did pretty good. Those are some good dates on the wheats. I'm sure you checked those '09's. Interesting jewelry finds as well.

I checked them for mint marks, but have not gotten them clean enough to see if they have a VDB on them or not. I will get around to it and update you on it.

MNetrac said:
Nice finds. Your ratio of nickel to silver is the opposite of what I normally see - you must really be going slow and paying attention to each deep signal. I'm the same way, so appreciate the diligence...I just don't have the great finds that you do this year! Congrats and eventually one of those nickel signals will be gold!

It is an odd ratio indeed. Last year my nickel count was more balanced with the silver count. This year it is dominating with the silver count lacking. A couple of weeks ago I found a gold ring that was giving off a perfect nickel signal. Imagine how surprised I was. I was recording on top of it. Maybe I need to go ahead and work on some videos. :thumbup:

Cool finds. The brooch-ish piece looks to be brass or plated from the pictures. In the reverse picture of it where the pin is welded to the frame, you can see a grayish base metal, at least from the pictures. Good luck thou, get it tested.

nolanation said:
Cool finds. The brooch-ish piece looks to be brass or plated from the pictures. In the reverse picture of it where the pin is welded to the frame, you can see a grayish base metal, at least from the pictures. Good luck thou, get it tested.

I doubt it is brass since it wiped off clean with no trouble when I found it. On top of that the property where I found it dates back to the 1740s with very little new activity. Now as far as it being gold plated.....I'm not sure. I sure hope it isn't. I have since cleaned it with some baking soda and a lot of the darker looking areas disappeared all except for in the more receded areas. As of right now I am leaning more towards the darker areas being gold tarnish as like I said, a lot of it came off. I'm not to sure about removing all of it because the tarnish gives away that it is probably old. I will get it tested like you said though and update this thread on it. I have a good bit more jewelry I need tested anyway and a buddy of mine who owns a local jewelry store happily agreed to test anything I have.

Thanks.

Great job swinging that coil over some nice stuff - hope that brooch turns out to be god - that would be a spectacular find buddy!

doc1964 said:
Great job swinging that coil over some nice stuff - hope that brooch turns out to be god - that would be a spectacular find buddy!

"God" :lol:

I got it tested and it turned out to be gold plated. The jeweler who tested it, said he thought it is a gold plated shoe buckle from the mid-late 1800s. I am still happy with the results. It is another addition to my ongoing gold/Indian Head streak of 4 consecutive detecting days in a row now. Thanks.

Dang Storm, you have it going on over there on the eastern side of the state. :clapping: Looks like you have been hitting it hard both hunting and getting permission to hunt old properties. Great Job!

Thanks Overvoltage. I have been focusing on finding some of the oldest property and maybe get some quality out of them instead of quantity. I am getting turned down to a lot of the oldest properties and also the opposite on other properties. It really depends on the person. Unfortunately a ton of women around here are protective over their property although their husbands do not really care. Though, all it takes is a few good properties. :thumbup: There are still a lot of things on my bucket list including meeting up with you one day and see what we could come up with.