Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Had a GREAT day with my AT Pro at the old fairgrounds!

INVASCdigger

I revisited an old fairgrounds that has been a corn / soybean field for the past 130 years. It was an Agricultural Fairground from shortly after the Civil War until about 1882. The newest coin that I've ever found there was dated 1882. I first started detecting there in 1981, and it continues to give up great coins to this day. The only problem is the condition of the coins. Since it's been farmland, there has been a great deal of plowing, disking and chemical spreading...and it has taken its toll on the coins. I don't mind, though, because I'm not in this hobby for the profit...I'm in it for the enjoyment and preservation of historic items. I hope that most of you share that same feeling. The find of the day, and the find of a lifetime for most of us, was the twenty cent piece. If you've detected for coins for very long, you already know how rare they are to find. The small scratches on the face weren't caused by me, but rather the disking of the field. I haven't cleaned any of them yet, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get some of the green "crud" off the nickels and lone "fatty" Indian Head. The date on it will be 1860 to 1864, though. It's good to know that my old fairgrounds is still producing!

Hot Peroxide should remove the green crud from the pennies and leave the patina. If the silver isn't rare, water/baking soda rubbed with fingers will shine them right up.

those are some great finds.that is the first twenty cent I have ever seen nice.did you find them at the same time with the ATPro?:coastgaurd::yikes:

What can I say, except mmmmmmmmmmmm :drool:

:yikes: WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Hot Peroxide should remove the green crud from the pennies and leave the patina. If the silver isn't rare, water/baking soda rubbed with fingers will shine them right up.

The hot peroxide technique sounds interesting. Do you bring it to a boil? How long do you leave the coins in the peroxide bath?
Thanks for your input!

INVASCdigger

Great finds, congrats.:detecting:

You put the peroxide in a microwave safe container and nuke it until it bubbles, then put the coin in for a minute or two. Some people like to rub the cleaned coin with parafin wax and buff to prevent further oxidation. Let us know your results if you try it!

Wow, you hit the motherload! I'd love to find anything seated and you got 3 different denominations! I personally would consider that a grand slam any day of the week. You got a great spot there and I would pound it and pound it and pound it for all its worth. Great job and congrats on the beautiful coins :clapping:

William-NM said:
You put the peroxide in a microwave safe container and nuke it until it bubbles, then put the coin in for a minute or two. Some people like to rub the cleaned coin with parafin wax and buff to prevent further oxidation. Let us know your results if you try it!

I have a few cooper coins in very poor condition with green and I will test this system and I will tell you.
kind regards
un saludo