Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Had an interesting day...silver and Civil War (in town)

Tenspeed

Our metal detecting club lost its meeting place because the facility was sold, so we had to find another one for next month's meeting. Well, we found a great building for our 60+ member club to meet at a Catholic affiliated facility that has multiple buildings including three older homes. I have been wanting to hunt this property for years, just didn't know who to ask.

Well, I couldn't not ask for permission to hunt when I paid to rent the facilities for the rest of the year, so I did, and they said yes. Today was the first hunt of this area of about 2 acres with a fair amount of lawn. Due to iron in the soil, I hunted TTF almost all day.

First find was a no date Buffalo. Then a single wheatie. Next was a three wheatie pocket spill followed by a four wheatie pocket spill (and this was in one front yard). It was looking good and I figured silver was coming.

I wandered over towards the oldest homes front yard (which is unfortunately 40% paved) and got a consistent 12-32. I dug it just to see what it was, expecting a Zincoln. I was really surprised to find a Civil War three ringer at 4 inches. I followed the beds around without many targets until I got a constant 12-46 at 2-3 inches. Expecting a clad quarter, I flipped the plug only to see SILVER! A 1909 Barber quarter which is only the second Barber quarter I have found. YAY!

Well, I then wandered over to the last house to start in the front yard. Not much there except for a clad quarter and three Wheaties by the driveway. I wandered around back hoping to find a clothes line or something. No sign of one and a lot of iron. Initially I found a clad quarter and wasn't expecting too much else. Well, I was in for a surprise. First came a 1937 Mercury at 6 inches that I thought was going to be a penny (12-44 in TTF). Next was two Jefferson nickels in the same hole. Then two pieces of aluminum I tried to make into nickels (12-12/12-13 but they were bouncing and I shouldn't have fallen for it).

The next hole was the best of the day. I was getting an 8-42 ID and I thought I was getting another wheatie. To my surprise, out popped a no date S Standing Liberty at 8 inches (boy was I surprised). I replaced the plug and swept again only to get a consistent 12-20 in the same hole. I reopened the hole and found a crusty silver nickel on edge in the side of the hole. That was a pleasant surprise!

I ended by working the yard a little more and got one more wheatie and a 1936 Buffalo to end my day.

I had to go home to watch the Bulldogs (MSU) beat Oregon State to make it to the College World Series finals (1st time in 9 tries). YAY!!

So, the final count is: 1909 Barber Quarter, No date S SLQ, 1937 Mercury, ?? Silver nickel (haven't broken black crust off yet), No date and 1936 Buffalo's, 1918, 1929, 1933, 1939, 4x1941, 4x1944, 1948, 1949 Wheaties, and a Civil War three ringer.

This was my best hunt in a long time and tomorrow I am meeting a buddy or two to share.

I hope everyone has a productive weekend!!

Wow what a day! Sounds like there might be plenty more too! GL and HH!!

That is some very nice finds! Way to go on the silver, buffalo and the Minnie. You have a nice spot there, I hope it produces a lot more for you and your buddies :thumbup: