Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Had to break through the ice.....

JOE in MD

Met a with the crew at a local watering hole and found ICE(plenty). Had to chop ice then swing, chop ice swing, etc. I did manage to find a few coins, junk jewelry, and plenty of bobby pins.

Well done!

A little bit ago I took a walk down to our community water and the ice looked like yours; but with a group of ducks and a group of sea gulls walking on the ice.

Have you ever had the ice cut the waders? I've had ice edges cut my hands so I figured the waders and gauntlets may be at risk. If the waders and gauntlets hold up to the ice, it would certainly be worth breaking the thiner ice. The low tide this morning was predicted to be a -0.3; about as low a prediction as I've seen here.
Cheers,
tvr

PS ... I may get another set of gauntlets, the February sale is on. Gauntlets on sale These are insulated, the one's I've been using aren't.

I used my scoop to break the ice then swing a little and then break more ice. I was dry so I don't believe I have any cuts in my waders.

JOE in MD said:
Met a with the crew at a local watering hole and found ICE(plenty). Had to chop ice then swing, chop ice swing, etc. I did manage to find a few coins, junk jewelry, and plenty of bobby pins.

I have heard of Ice Fishing ..but not Ice Detecting........... :rofl: Your one tough hunter my friend...:clapping:

Yep, Scott and I have the Mumbles for sure after this....I see myself sinking into the ice after this hunt.. Old and Cold

That makes me cold just from looking at the pictures. I would tell you that it was somewhere up close to 70 here today but I would not want to make you jealous so I wont tell you about spending this afternoon detecting while wearing a short sleeve shirt.

I've broke ice many times to detect fresh water. I have never had an issue with the ice cutting the gloves or waders. One thing I do is to break off large slabs of the ice, slip one edge under the ice that is furthest from the shore and push it under. It helps if two or more detectorist can help break and push the ice toward the center of the pond. I have never done the break/push trick in salt water. I have detected in the ocean's icy slush so thick you could serve it up as a slushie - just add caramel and you would have a caramel and sea salt slushie...7-11 take note! Add a piece of gold and I bet it would be a big seller.

Gold is a cruel Mistress! Woe to anyone that has caught Her fever!:rofl::clapping: Good on ya for getting out in it!:beers:
Mud