Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Happy CTX-iversary!

ironman200081

Chloe, my CTX, arrived 9 years ago today thanks to my pre-order. During that time, she has been my detecting workhorse. She has found me over $3k in clad (I deposit all of my clad in my daughters' bank accounts), over a thousand silver coins, a dozen or so gold rings, pounds of silver jewelry, and thousands of Civil War relics. But for a few weeks when I sent her in for warranty work due to leakage, I have not used any other metal detector. I have put my machine through rain, snow, ice, heat, mud, bugs, and sweat. She has been tossed and jostled around in my car, slammed on the sandstone when I took a bad fall, hit with my digging tool, and keeps right on ticking. She is the best machine I have owned, and I can confidently rely on the audio and VID to tell me if I have a desirable target or iron falsing at depth. We have mapped Civil War sites together, both professionally as part of a site survey study and on my own as an amateur. I have had this detector through two divorces, and my oldest used it to dig her first Civil War bullet. I cannot tell you all how much I enjoy swinging this machine. I found my favorite three finds here in Mid-MO with Chloe: an 1875-S 20-cent piece, a solid 18k gold Missouri Normal School class of 1906 pin, and a Charles III half real with the date worn off. This is a capable all-terrain deep seeking piece of technology that was ahead of its time in 2012. Newer machines may be faster on shallow targets, but I have put my CTX head-to-head with an Equinox, Deus, AT-MAX, and the like, and mnone of them are better at accurately identifying targets at depth than Chloe.

Happy CTX-iversary to Chloe! We have a summer full of planned hunts ahead, and I am excited to see what turns up in the holes next.

The above is a man who knows his machine and isn’t afraid to use it! I’ve had mine exactly 5 years and can’t conceive of using anything in its place as a primary. A lot of it is how well does the machine and operator “get along”? Obviously Iron Man and Chloe have a “thing” going...though I’m not sure how Chloe got her name....and it’s none of my damn business I suppose...
Hey Iron Man...thanks for subscribing to the one and only MONSTERTUBE! It’s fun to go out and dig and film, even more fun to have people realize what this machine can do. But you know. I KNOW you know! What a BEAST of a machine for those who choose to use all it has, and to realize it’s potential. Here’s to hoping you and Chloe have many more years together with many more great finds!

:love: Now that's a love story with the makings of a movie ! There is a lot to be said for sticking with 1 machine and learning about all the sweet spots and nuances. The CTX has so much technology packed in to, it was really disheartening to see Minelab not pass it on to the next generation. Thanks for sharing your anniversary announcement Ironman!
HH Jeff

though I’m not sure how Chloe got her name
Good question! I just picked a name I liked that started with "C." My E-Trac was named Eleanor. When I first told my wife that I was taking Chloe out back when we were dating, I had some explaining to do.

There is a lot to be said for sticking with 1 machine and learning about all the sweet spots and nuances.
This!!! You are completely right. The best detector any person can use is one they know inside and out. It took me a while to feel like I truly knew the CTX because of all of the different possible settings. Lots of trial and error and editing modes in the field. I came from the E-trac, so I had experience with Minelab FBS and creating patterns, but that didn't prepare me for all of the exciting possibilities of different separation modes and settings. For example, did you know that using seawater with Ground Coin separation makes the CTX more stable in the highly-mineralized ground of southern Missouri? I didn't until I was out in Ironton searching for Civil War artifacts and I gave it a try.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Good question! I just picked a name I liked that started with "C." My E-Trac was named Eleanor. When I first told my wife that I was taking Chloe out back when we were dating, I had some explaining to do.

This!!! You are completely right. The best detector any person can use is one they know inside and out. It took me a while to feel like I truly knew the CTX because of all of the different possible settings. Lots of trial and error and editing modes in the field. I came from the E-trac, so I had experience with Minelab FBS and creating patterns, but that didn't prepare me for all of the exciting possibilities of different separation modes and settings. For example, did you know that using seawater with Ground Coin separation makes the CTX more stable in the highly-mineralized ground of southern Missouri? I didn't until I was out in Ironton searching for Civil War artifacts and I gave it a try.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Ironman200081--Our ST. Louis County Midwest Coinshooters Club used to get permission & hunt the hillsides where the fighting was done! Lots of bulledts, mini-balls, grape shots, larger iron balls & even coins--we stayed overnight by renting motel rooms--those who went & hunted together sure enjoyed our Club gatherings & outings! Was near Ironton, MO but can't remember right now the small town we stayed in & I should as my daughter, Tami, & grandsons lived there in a trailer for awhile ---her two sons still live near there! We used to drive the narrow road near the Royal Gorge which was scary at night when meeting someone coming from the opposite direction! So many memories before & after my divorce! God Bless you with good finds & GO FOR THE GOLD! There is a song about the iRON MOUNTAIN baby thrown from a train in a suitcase?? Been so many years & too much sicknesses, so MEMORY not so good these days! Stay well & stay happy life is good when you help make it so for yourself & otners! Ma

Ironman200081--Our ST. Louis County Midwest Coinshooters Club used to get permission & hunt the hillsides where the fighting was done! Lots of bulledts, mini-balls, grape shots, larger iron balls & even coins--we stayed overnight by renting motel rooms--those who went & hunted together sure enjoyed our Club gatherings & outings! Was near Ironton, MO but can't remember right now the small town we stayed in & I should as my daughter, Tami, & grandsons lived there in a trailer for awhile ---her two sons still live near there! We used to drive the narrow road near the Royal Gorge which was scary at night when meeting someone coming from the opposite direction! So many memories before & after my divorce! God Bless you with good finds & GO FOR THE GOLD! There is a song about the iRON MOUNTAIN baby thrown from a train in a suitcase?? Been so many years & too much sicknesses, so MEMORY not so good these days! Stay well & stay happy life is good when you help make it so for yourself & otners! Ma
The Acadia Valley is such a beautiful part of our state. I usually stay in Pilot Knob when I go down. Finds are getting hard to come by down there these days. I would have loved to have hunted it back when you all did. They say that there was so much grape shot dug up.

I was going to take a trip down there a week ago, but the wet spring made the hillside explode with vegetation earlier than expected this spring.

I can just see this being a two hour movie on the Hallmark Channel!!! Neat story, jkline runs one so guess I’m gonna have to plug the Y connector into his so I hear all the nuances and go take a walk with him (unless he thinks I’m trying to be his caddy....)😉

The Acadia Valley is such a beautiful part of our state. I usually stay in Pilot Knob when I go down. Finds are getting hard to come by down there these days. I would have loved to have hunted it back when you all did. They say that there was so much grape shot dug up.

I was going to take a trip down there a week ago, but the wet spring made the hillside explode with vegetation earlier than expected this spring.
Yes Pilot Knob--just couldn't recall--The president of our Club was the one who gained permission for our club hunt there! He had hunted the area for Civil War Relics way before the Club members did! He was an avid hunter & when he married his new wife. they invited me to go with them to FL.! Had fun but also time of hurting. as my mother passed away with a sudden heat attack! My brother, wife & son lived in Hollywood, Florida & they drove me from FT Pierce to his place & we flew from there in the first & only airplane ride I ever had to St. Louis, MO & then on to Salem, MO where mom & dad lived! Hard to enjoy the flight because of the grief I had for my mom's passing! While in FL. we saw our Clubs CEO, Roy Volker, seeking treasure off the bottom of the ocean but nothing found while I was there watching him & his crew blow up sand onto the beach! I did get to visit with the Whites of Sweet Home. Oregon when Bill & Judy were on thir fancy boat! Nice but then Roy & Whites parted their ways & Roy no longer sold detectors for them! WOW!! Dad passed away three months later from his sicknesses & missing mom! Then my ex moved out of our home in 1986 & filed for divorce--found out he is a LIAR & lied to me during our marriage & still lies about me! Now--I had fun but also difficult & hard times, hurts but blessed with grandchildren I am okay --just miss TH'ing so much~ But time flies & our aging & health even fades faster so enjoy & live a good life while you can as time & mankind waits for no one! Ma

It was mostly hot weather when the Club Group were there & everything would be grown like poison Ivies, shumac & Oak & I am very allergic & wore long sleeves, gloves & etc to protect from being exposed, for I blister & get vey sick from the itchy stuff--(Miserable) First time there I found an 1864 (if I remember correctly) Quarter in dirt on top of a large Flat Rock--only coin found that day! I was hot. tired, dirty & sweaty when I came down off the mountain--rest of the folks were happy with their Civil War Finds--it was strange as I said, I wanted to find Silver & I did! Can't detect any more but still have my memories--well most of them anyway! Happy Hunting & safe travelling! Ma

It is a dandy machine, and my first choice... just wish I could tell when I was swinging over silver. Although the last Merc I found broke the trend-- she was ringing up 12 47/ 12 48 and a few 12 49s. Never had a dime ring up that high-- I usually use ground coin with AndyS, but play around with all the usual settings and programs.

I've had a silver Barber quarter ring 1241 and memorials at 1244. I sure dig less trash with the ctx but I get annoyed that I really can't cherry pick with it, as compared to my etrac.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but as we are discussing its merits, this is something that has been bugging me since its purchase 10 mos ago.

@iron-- sometimes I use the saltwater settings when EMI is a challenge.

9 years already !

I got mine in the summer of that year
no regrets, well thats not true.
after a few months I gave up, sold it to a friend.
then after a few more months bought another 1 and persevered with the programs.
It took me a year to design my own sea hunting program which is in use every few days.
found a "shed" load with it :)

Chloe, my CTX, arrived 9 years ago today thanks to my pre-order. During that time, she has been my detecting workhorse. She has found me over $3k in clad (I deposit all of my clad in my daughters' bank accounts), over a thousand silver coins, a dozen or so gold rings, pounds of silver jewelry, and thousands of Civil War relics. But for a few weeks when I sent her in for warranty work due to leakage, I have not used any other metal detector. I have put my machine through rain, snow, ice, heat, mud, bugs, and sweat. She has been tossed and jostled around in my car, slammed on the sandstone when I took a bad fall, hit with my digging tool, and keeps right on ticking. She is the best machine I have owned, and I can confidently rely on the audio and VID to tell me if I have a desirable target or iron falsing at depth. We have mapped Civil War sites together, both professionally as part of a site survey study and on my own as an amateur. I have had this detector through two divorces, and my oldest used it to dig her first Civil War bullet. I cannot tell you all how much I enjoy swinging this machine. I found my favorite three finds here in Mid-MO with Chloe: an 1875-S 20-cent piece, a solid 18k gold Missouri Normal School class of 1906 pin, and a Charles III half real with the date worn off. This is a capable all-terrain deep seeking piece of technology that was ahead of its time in 2012. Newer machines may be faster on shallow targets, but I have put my CTX head-to-head with an Equinox, Deus, AT-MAX, and the like, and mnone of them are better at accurately identifying targets at depth than Chloe.

Happy CTX-iversary to Chloe! We have a summer full of planned hunts ahead, and I am excited to see what turns up in the holes next.
That is great to hear. For two reasons. All the great times you and your CTX had together. Second reason is I sold my 800 and am buying a CTX3030. You are not the only one still using that remarkable machine. I have gotten some good advice from forum members who are still very happy with their CTX3030 and still finding deep silver.

I got mine september that year.

It was a painful few months, utter confusion.
In the end sold it.

Then after a few months bought another.

Went in for repair many many many time to minelab due to water leaks.

Eventually they sent me a new replacement.
I got over the learning curve. Designed my own sea program.

Love the detector.