Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Harness Options

coherent

I know this is a subject that has been covered in depth, but being a new CTX owner had me considering a harness/sling. It's a bit heaver than I'm used to and a way to make it a little more comfortable and decrease the fatigue could only help. I found a number of options from DIY hydration backpack mods to DIY simple straps and bungee cords. As far as buying a dedicated Metal Detector sling, the top end of the spectrum seems to be Minelabs Pro-Swing (around the $130 point) down to to simpler setups in the $25 range. One that got fairly positive feedback was one of the more recent additions to the "sling" arsenal I found was the Limbsaver brand. FWIW they seem to have a fair amount of positive remarks throughout the web. Reports seem to vary depending on each individuals height, what detector, and what part of their body hurts when they swing a detector for hours. If you are thinking of one of these, you may want to look at the harness the same company makes for string trimmers. From my observations there seems to be little if any differences (at least that would affect swinging a detector vs a trimmer), but the ones called "weed eater slings" by the same company are a few dollars cheaper. Under $20 on Amazon. My guess it that folks are willing to spend more for an accessory for their high dollar detector than for their $100 weed wacker. I know this issue has been discussed many times before, but I'd be interested in any specific experiences regarding weed trimmer slings, vs detector slings. Especially this brand/model.

I use my Pro Swing with my Stihl fs130. It’s a PIG and swings with NO effort. Opinions will follow....

I tried several other brands and they were disappointing. I finally broke down and got the pro swing. Great investment. I have my bag and shovel attached ,so gearing up is easy.If you spend two grand for a detector,whats 130 to be comfortable.

I bent some 1" pvc pipe and put it on an old backpacking hip belt; basically copying the ML harness. Puts the pivot point near my shoulder and the weight on my hips. Adjust with bungee for length. Without it, 2 hrs with the 17" coil meant sore for a week- with it, I can go all day with no effect on old shoulder injury. Yeah, I can be a cheap so and so when I think products on the market that actually work are seriously overpriced.

Champ Ferguson said:
I bent some 1" pvc pipe and put it on an old backpacking hip belt; basically copying the ML harness. Puts the pivot point near my shoulder and the weight on my hips. Adjust with bungee for length. Without it, 2 hrs with the 17" coil meant sore for a week- with it, I can go all day with no effect on old shoulder injury. Yeah, I can be a cheap so and so when I think products on the market that actually work are seriously overpriced.

As long as whatever you’re using is to YOUR satisfaction...that’s what counts for me too. And yep,2 hours with that flying saucer is taxing without some kind of support,the 17” is what caused me to say,”Wow! I need some help here!” And I’m not exactly a tiny guy...:)

I got lucky and found mine in the acc for sale forum. Got it for half price. Never used . I see them once in a while. I agree, the 17 will break your shoulder. I’m no young buck anymore , so I need the help.

Champ Ferguson said:

Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to see a photo of how you made yours. Sounds interesting. If detecting was my full time job or a 5 day a week hobby I could see spending what they charge for a pro-swing. If I was retired, lived on the beach and detected 5 days a week, sure. But I'm just a few hours, on weekends hobbyist, and there surely is something cheaper or DIY like you made that can offer "adequate" comfort. I ordered one of the Limbsaver harness's and will see it it works, but agree that something that goes over each shoulder and has a belt (like ML or you made) would offer more support with less rubbing or other issues.

I use a "Detecting Buddy" that I bought some years back for about $25. It's a sling style harness that takes all the weight off the arm and shoulder and distributes it across the upper part of the torso. Comfortable to use, although I only use it with the big coil. These types of harnesses do not eliminate torquing forces on the mid and lower back however, so might not be the right choice for those with back problems.

From there the price goes up as you get into products like the "Ultra Swingy Thingy," which transfers the weight more evenly throughout the upper body.

Then there's the "Hip Stick," which transfers most of the weight from the back and shoulders down to the waistline. Good idea, but looks awkward to use.

The Pro Swing has got to be the Cadillac of detecting harnesses. Looks comfortable and very well built, and appears to distribute the weight about as evenly as possible. If I had any back issues, that's the one I would get.

Ditto on the Pro Swing. I do not have one, but wish I did. I have used three other "sling type" harnesses that range from exceptionally inadequate to moderately tolerable. I had a chance to strap on a Pro Swing at an event in May, and it was fabulous. I haven't bought one yet because of 1) the price and 2) my moderately tolerable sling is functional. The backpack-style of the Pro Swing is the bees knees.

coherent said:
Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to see a photo of how you made yours....

sent you a PM.

If your DIY harness doesn't work out I highly recommend the Pro-Swing. Ive tried a few and the pro-swing was a clear winner for my neck and shoulder comfort.
Besides the normal bungee to detector strap connection I hold the bungee cord with my hand grip thumb which eliminates detector wrist torque; very comfortable and basically a thumb and forefinger grip and swing.

Took the CTX out a bit today to an old ranch. After a couple old beaver tail beer tabs and a couple zinc pennies I decided to quit digging trash... so, after that & because I was only staying a short time, I dug only stuff in the silver & clad range. Dug a couple of dollars worth of dimes and quarters in about an hour and dug nothing else. I realize that I most likely missed some good stuff, but I'll save that for another trip there. I was amazed at the target ID consistency and the ability to dig only what I wanted. The more I use the CTX, the more impressed I am with it's discrimination and target ID capabilities. Also, I tried out a Limbsaver sling today also. I wasn't overly impressed and as soon as I got home I ordered a Pro Swing 45 harness. I simply decided it's not worth all the time and effort trying to find/make something else work well.

coherent said:
Took the CTX out a bit today to an old ranch. After a couple old beaver tail beer tabs and a couple zinc pennies I decided to quit digging trash... so, after that & because I was only staying a short time, I dug only stuff in the silver & clad range. Dug a couple of dollars worth of dimes and quarters in about an hour and dug nothing else. I realize that I most likely missed some good stuff, but I'll save that for another trip there. I was amazed at the target ID consistency and the ability to dig only what I wanted. The more I use the CTX, the more impressed I am with it's discrimination and target ID capabilities. Also, I tried out a Limbsaver sling today also. I wasn't overly impressed and as soon as I got home I ordered a Pro Swing 45 harness. I simply decided it's not worth all the time and effort trying to find/make something else work well.

Coherent...my own take on the CTX is...I know it’s good. GREAT in fact.....I’ve tried to make junk signals into coins but it happened SO rarely that I stopped. It wasn’t worth it. There are places where the junk and iron is so thick that it’s hard to find anything good,but I need two things. I need it to repeat at least half the time at two angles (doesn’t even have to be 90 degrees from each other) and I need the numbers to be somewhat close. That’s it. EVERY time I dig something without those two criteria I dig up junk. That’s ME.
You can trust the machine. It’s just THAT GOOD. You can come back at another time and prove it to yourself that the junk was junk. I’ll do that once in awhile just to be sure...and I wind up with deep bent nails and other stuff I don’t want. You know...there IS a reason it’s so expensive after all...:)

coherent, it isn't about the time making a harness takes, its about having one that actually works. Or at least works for Me. I tried most of the harnesses on the market (except ML, just couldn't see paying that much for one and it looked very confining) and none of them worked for me. By taking the knowledge of whats on the market and combining with what I know I like and don't like in a harness, I made one that is almost perfect.....for me. We're all built differently and have different physical limitations and tolerances.

Hope the one you ordered works great for you!