Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone detected Detroit MI?

HendersonHunter

I was born in Detroit in 1946 and was raised in a house near the vicinity of Woodward and State Fair Avenue. It was a middle class neighborhood with the houses being built in the 1930's - 1940's. I remember my dad would give me a dime (mercury) or sometimes a quarter (real silver) to go to the candy store and get myself an ice cream. I'm sure its probably a pretty tough area now. There was the Michigan State Fair location, a bowling alley, local bars, grocery stores, candy stores, butcher shops, grade school, all within blocks. I'm sure I lost coins and stuff on my street and there were a lot of kids like me. I lived in the house for 8 years then moved towards Mound Road and Outer Drive (don't know if that's east or west).

I recently viewed from Google Earth the neighborhood and found that the house I lived in was still standing, but it seems like only 1 of 4 or 5 homes still stand.

It seems to me that the first house area would be a GREAT place to MD.

If you have detected in Detroit, let me know. Who knows, I just may go back there to do my own MD.

HendersonHunter

I live on the West side of Michigan, but I would love to detect in that area of the state as it has historical significance back to the 1690's. Of course nowadays you might need a posse' to protect you while detecting.... Great info.

I lived on the east side south of Grosse Pt in the 60's...I google earthed my old neighborhood too just to see whats up...it was a mixed place when I was a kid, and we spent ALL day outdoors playing baseball and running around...there were Good Humor trucks selling icecream on every block, and I just know theres some pre 64 silver galore in those old now dangerous neighborhoods...curb stripping would be great! I live on the west side of the state now by MKG. I have wanted to make a sortie into my old stomping grounds in Detroit for a while...maybe some of the Gross Point neighborhoods would be better, regardless, it would be best on a really cold and windy, rainy day...and then a fellow would have to be quick and ready to move!
Mud

Sorry, with all the car jackings and murders there I wouldn't even attempt it. I live 60 miles away and I would rather go where I won't find anything instead of Detroit.

t_welcomedetroit_210.jpg

I live only 12 miles away and you won't catch me there. You would need a posse amed with bigger guns than the bad guys. I would say full auto AK's and Uzi's would do the trick, but then, no cops would come help you, if you get shot:stretcher:....nge

Its fun to think about...I have a few urban park totters here that I only hit in late November, very early in the am, when its blowing rain and cold! Even then a fellow has to be quick and head on a swivel! It would be fun to roll into Detroit in some APC's, a big group of us, set up a perimeter at the ends of the block, and just dig that place to Old Glory!:rofl:

I'll bring the "street sweeper"

mudpuppy said:
Its fun to think about...I have a few urban park totters here that I only hit in late November, very early in the am, when its blowing rain and cold! Even then a fellow has to be quick and head on a swivel! It would be fun to roll into Detroit in some APC's, a big group of us, set up a perimeter at the ends of the block, and just dig that place to Old Glory!:rofl: