Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone ever seen a Tesoro coil break like this?

Bleaver

This broken coil is Not a Tesoro.
I saw this picture somewhere else and got the thinking that I've never seen a Tesoro coil break like this.
Several months ago I had a Fisher F5 for a few weeks and noticed the plastic coil "ears?" seemed very thin and possibly on the delicate side. Now I see this Minelab with the attachments broken off. Granted it probably suffered some severe abuse to get in this condition but I think the Tesoro coil material is much tougher stuff.

Funny this thread came up, I broke a Tesoro Coil trying to install it on my LST yesterday.

Coils are made of plastic. Without care they will break no matter who makes them.
I had a detector fall off a shelf from 15' one day about 15 years ago, and although I broke it's fall, it broke the ears off of it.
And this coil was not built like the new ones, it had moxy to it.
You always have to be careful with your equipment no matter what company provides it.
The heat and the cold can reek havoc on most anything in unwanted ways, not to mention a fluke flaw in the manufacture of it.

Bleaver said:
This broken coil is Not a Tesoro.
I saw this picture somewhere else and got the thinking that I've never seen a Tesoro coil break like this.
Several months ago I had a Fisher F5 for a few weeks and noticed the plastic coil "ears?" seemed very thin and possibly on the delicate side. Now I see this Minelab with the attachments broken off. Granted it probably suffered some severe abuse to get in this condition but I think the Tesoro coil material is much tougher stuff.

This Bowen guy sure knows how to fix them better than new. Look under the Google search 'Minelab X Terra 705 Coil Fix' https://www.google.com/search?q=+Minelab+X+Terra+705+Coil+Fix&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

tabman

I've yet to see it, but it's certainly possible under the right conditions.
BB

I can see it happening by swinging it into rocks, trees and bushes and other debris and human head LOL

I haven't broken a Tesoro coil (yet) but I recall it was VERY difficult to install my coil on the Vaquero which was a new unit right out of the box.

Had an X-Terra 50 that broke like that..only used it a few times, an Minelab sent me a new coil even though it was out of warranty.

I figured out the easiest way to put coils on without the risk of breaking the ears off. Just take and put a thin coat of dawn dish detergent on the rubber washers it makes it a lot easier to change coils out with out applying a ton of pressure.

An even easier method is to invest the $10-12 and buy a second (third, fourth, etc) lower shaft and attach each to a different coil. All that is required to change out a coil then is to disconnect the coil at the controls and push the spring buttons in. Soooooo easy!

How come it's got two holes in it? I don't recall any of my xterra coils having more than one hole.

Looks like its been drilled and that may have weakened it. :shrug:

HH
Mike