Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone used the Detech Ultimate on the Mxt

MXTerer

or MXT Pro? In an air test I didn't get any more depth than with the 10"D2. It also seemed to be more unstable.

The lack of user experiences is one of the main reasons I havn't bought one. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer to see if they will help you? I've heard some shady stories about the lack of support but some of those may be repeating a common example. I'd like to find out that they have good customer support because their coils look interesting. Bad news travels faster than good news so it's possible that the good experiences are not told of as often. How does it act on the ground compared to the D2? It's possible that it can run cooler and still get good/better depth. Using too much gain is a very common mistake and I am guilty of it pretty often. Compare it to driving in fog with high beams vs low beams. Brighter is not always better. The ground is so full of minerals that it's surprising you can detect through it at all. That's the main reason for DD coils, they focus a narrow signal that avoids as much mineral as possible. I'm not sure if those Detech coils are considered DD coils or not. DD coil RF and TX coils within do not overlap, but on the Detech coils they do(like 2 ovals overlapping).

I would guess that the 13" detech would find large items deeper but lose depth on really small items, maybe. That concept/theory works on the idea that the coil depends on the target to bounce a percentage of signal back to the coil and the bigger the coil the bigger the target needs to be in order to bounce back the same amount of signal. That is why you need a tiny coil(4x6 shooter) to find tiny gold nuggets. That same gold nugget won't bounce back enough signal to a large coil. Even big coins like a silver dollar is too small for a meteor searching coil dragged behind a fourwheeler. It's possible to go too big for certain targets.

I see that they call it a DD coil but acknowledge that is is different from traditional DD coils. Here are some of the advertized features....
- MORE STABLE OPERATION.

- BETTER SENSITIVITY.

- MORE ACCURATE TARGET IDENTIFICATION.

- MORE STABLE GROUND AND BETTER OVERALL FIELD PERFORMANCE.

SOURCE

I don't have the 13" Ultimate but I have the 6 X 8 Detech SEF which is a similar configuration of overlapping ovals. It works excellently on my MXT Pro. A lot lighter and equal if not better depth than the 6 x 9 Whites DD. I also have the 10 x 12 Detech SEF which is lighter and deeper than the Whites D2.

I have the 13" Ultimate and it has found some nice coins and relics for me. I can tell you one thing....it falses like a son of a gun on bottle caps. For some reason they come up like a quarter? Wierd. They have to be old rusty caps on mine, but I remember one day it drove me nuts in a park digging them.
I wish I had more to offer your. I haven't used it all summer as I purchased the Etrac and have been playing with that new toy all year...and have not use my MXT much. Still I would never get rid of the MXT it is truely an amazing machine. If I can answer any questions let me know.

The D2 and some other DD coils false bottle caps to be quarters too. That part should probably be expected from any large DD coil. I would think the smaller ones would VDI more accurately. I concur, the really rusty bottle caps false much more than the intact ones. Also, a really rusty iron nail that is 6+ inches will also false pretty high with the D2 but once it is out of the hole it reads iron. Rust has something to do with the falsing. I'm not trying to side-track as that isn't much to do with the 13" Ultimate except there should likely be a lot of similarities with the D2 or any large DD coil.

If the falsing was the only issue that would be ok, but since yours is erratic too it compounds the negative experience. I look at the falsing as possibly a good thing. It makes you dig more targets ignored by others, many times it's a negligible target that just barely escaped being dug before and it happens to be a good target. Also, once you get the bottle caps dug, the larger DD coils will find stuff that was impossible to find until you came along and removed the junk, plus the coil has depth advantages. Two really good bonuses to help the modern detector get a slight advantage.

I'm willing to bet that you're just experiencing a different coil, a large DD at that, and it definitely acts much different than you're used to. I know the Super 12", 300mm, is erratic too. It's just a trait that comes with large coils. The really small coils are always much smoother and vdi better.

I had a 13' Ultimate. It did NOT outperform the 10"DD so I sold it. The 10"DD and the 5.3" are my most used coils.
John

I found the 13" DD to be a great coil on my MXT. It didn't necessarily gain a bunch of depth, BUT it did make those deep iffy signals sound more pronounced. That coil reopened a lot of old spots for me. I was finding DEEP coins, buttons, and relics, that the 10" DD didn't even sniff. It won't miss the small stuff either.

I purchased an SEF coil for my F75 and only used it about 4 times over the course of a year and a half and it failed. I contacted the online detector superstore about it and they told me that i would need to deal with the manufacturer Detech in Bulgaria. The vendor couldn't help me but they did provide me with a phone number for Detech as well as an email address All correspondence to them went unanswered. I called several times, no one answered the phone, and I was calling them 4 am est to take into account the time difference, emailed them several times and never received a reply back. So I have a 200$ barely used coil I can't use. I'm not impressed with their customer service or lack of customer service. I understand that everyone loves SEF coils and ravs about them but this experience convinced me to buy White's manufactured coils for my MXT and TDI, because if there is an issue I have someone I can talk to and deal with a vendor that stands behind their products.