Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone used the giant 15" coil yet?

On my last trip to England I hunted with almost exclusively for 10 days. With it being only an inch wider depth was only improved slightly but the coverage of the extra length it was a game changer. The 15 inch coil was sensitive enough to pick up the tiniest of target as well. I wouldn't recommend it in target rich environments. Running the sensitivity at 25 was no problem in the open fields just backed it down to the low 20's under the high tension lines. I will definitely be trying it on more sites in the states.
HH Jeff

The 15'' coil has its time and place but i dont use it as say a everyday coil,its heavy and unwieldy and not really enjoyable as my main coil here in the UK.It does give you some depth advantage but not as much as folks think it does infact very little,but what it does offer is better ground coverage.

If i am say on a club dig or rally and have 'x' amount of time like say just 8 hours to detect a site then the advantages of a larger coil are welcome and also on pasture sites it also earns its keep,if i am after say deeper larger targets then once again the large coil earns it keep and i will even drop it down into 5khz as well.

John, I bought it and the around the shoulder harness. I used it daily for about four months. I loved it, got plenty of targets deep and shallow but then I hurt my shoulder in a fall.
I switched to the 11 and now the six. I plan to go back to it soon. I use all of my coils for both dirt and sand.

Tony

I went with an 18", third party coil (used at a great price). It works wonders on the low tide, miles of sand I do not search often. I needed a vest swingy thing to counter the extra weight of the coil.
When you want to cover ground, it is my coil of choice. When in use I am not concerned with nit-picking extreme depth or small size I.e. stud earring targets. Every tool has its own niche to fit.
YES! It works for me in my environment.

I bought the 6 inch and 15...with the thought I'd probably use the heck out of the 6 inch and the 15 get very little use. I figured it for an open field or beach coil and not much else. It actually was flip flopped from my initial thoughts. I ended up selling the 6 inch due to very little use and keeping the 15 on most all the time. The only times I take it off is if I'm in water for the majority of my hunt or if I am in an iron infested area.

SORRY FOR THE INFO POSTED. The 18" coil I use is on my ATPro, not the Equinox.
However, the information is correct.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
WaterWalker

All the time, all sorts of sites. Great coverage, separation and depth...

s2k said:
Are the coil ears on the 15" as thin as the 11" ?[/quote)
The 6” is different than the 11” and the 15”.
Reason I know is I have the ear supports on mine and the there are two different ones.
The 11 and 15 are the same and take a different support bracket than the 6”

Doug.

Doug, aren’t the coil brackets aftermarket and made by a 3D printing program?
If so I can see not changing the program that is loaded on the printer.

Now my eyes thought the 15 inch brackets are a tiny bit thicker but not really by much, in my opinion.

Tony

BigTony said:

Now my eyes thought the 15 inch brackets are a tiny bit thicker but not really by much, in my opinion.

Tony
when I got mine they were lazer done and they were marked different for the 6” and the 11”

BigTony
Not sure why I I couldn’t edit my post so I’ll repost my answer.

Tony[/quote]when I got mine they were lazer done and they were marked different for the 6” and the 11”

BigTony said:
Donut, looking at my six and eleven coils - the coil ears look the same to me.
When I ordered mine they came with markings 6” and 11” on them and the site I bought them you could buy the 6”
And then 11 and 15 “ . So I’m guessing there is a difference in size and how they fit on the coil so I don’t think they are the same.

The 11" and 15" are the same. The 6" is different because the coil has a different shape. There is a step on one side of the coil because of the internal winding path. The 3D printed strengthener has a step to fill in the drop in the coil.

Jason in Enid said:
The 11" and 15" are the same. The 6" is different because the coil has a different shape. There is a step on one side of the coil because of the internal winding path. The 3D printed strengthener has a step to fill in the drop in the coil.
Jason I haven’t looked at mine but the surface below where the strengthener rest may be different on the 6” and the 11 and 15”.
The strengthener slips down over both ears and slides down over the ears to the coil surface and the distance may be different from the pivot point to the surface of the 6” compared to the 11 and 15” coils.
Just guessing.

Doug

Donut said:
Jason I haven’t looked at mine but the surface below where the strengthener rest may be different on the 6” and the 11 and 15”.
The strengthener slips down over both ears and slides down over the ears to the coil surface and the distance may be different from the pivot point to the surface of the 6” compared to the 11 and 15” coils.
Just guessing.

Doug

Interesting thought. I never bothered to measure the bolt hole distance off the face of the coil. But I can tell you for sure that the 6" model has a step that fits the coil and the 11/15" model is flat based.