Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

has the f70 changed since the beginning?

foxhunter

Hi...thanks to mudpuppy I'm looking into the f70....I did have one years ago and seemed to be real noisy..I got rid of it..Wondering if anything has changed over the years with the f70 as far as emi and stability...Thanks

As far as I know its the same...what is different is some of the new guys here have taken great pains to really learn this rig and posted prolifically their settings and tips and results....

We all seem to be running the 70 in a very wide spectrum of settings, which is good, you can certainly dial it in to what you are hunting and where, and what is comfortable and makes the most sense to your ears..:beers:

Revier has poured out tons of great detailed posts since he got his 70 back in Nov of 2012...he had a '12 gold' year with it in 2013...I would suggest getting the 11"dd Fisher coil, or a similar dd aftermarket if you really want to see this thing shine! That big dd under the hood really Hemi's up this rig!:thumbup:
Mud

That 12 gold target year was mostly accomplished with the F2, but the F70 found the last and most important gold ring on this year long quest and that was only on my third hunt with the thing and I knew nothing about its capabilities at the time.
That has changed and since then I have attempted to educate myself and others when I can and we have learned much in the last year.

The Fishers are way overpowered out of the factory as far as I am concerned, all of them as far as I can tell, and even at factory settings they can be noisy at certain sites.
Many are still into the "more power is better for more depth and accuracy" way of thinking and have tried the F series line but never really learned to understand that in the case of these things this is not really true.
They get really frustrated and just give up and sell them quickly.
That is actually great for us Fisher fans because we get to do them a favor and take these horrible units off their hands for some pretty good prices that barely used detectors usually don't fetch.
I have learned to hunt with high power settings because I am used to it and noise never bothers me and I have discovered there is actually a method to the madness in that language with all the jumpy numbers and tones.
I also did a huge amount of experimentation and found I can also set the thing to be eerily quiet...and still find great targets at almost unbelievable depths if I come across them down deep.
I just recently learned that there are certain pre-set power levels on several of the top line units, the F70 and the F75 for sure and maybe the F5 too.
Lots don't know this but sense settings from 1-29 are in the low end and 30-99 is considered the high end and even on that low end there is still going to be a certain level you won't get past and this caused me some confusion before I read about this and before I understood it.
There are posts and videos out there that show owners hitting targets at 8-9 and even 10" deep with the sense down below 10 even down to 1.
I was flabbergasted one day when I was able to hit a measured dime at 5' deep in my soil with my sense set on 19...and then gained 2 more inches for every 10 numbers I raised the sense.
Now I know why.

I have been setting the thing to be super quiet lately, I have used 1, 1F, 2F and 4H tones and found some great and remarkable things of quality.
Also I have dug some of the smallest targets you might not believe this thing could see and some targets deeper than I thought possible at such low and quiet settings before I knew what I know now about how these things actually work.

I spent a year just getting to know it and some would think wasted a lot of time experimenting and not digging as much as usual.
Not one second was a waste, I eventually settled in with some favorite settings, methods and techniques around August and the great finds started flying out of the ground and made up for all that I missed most of the year as I learned.
I had a stellar year in 2014, and this year I plan on using what I learned and just hunt.
On just a few very rare outings possible this year when a bit of better weather came in with the F70 and the standard elliptical coil I have managed to find lots of clad, silver coins in iron infested sites and 7 silver jewelry targets plus 3 gold rings.
Like I said I wasted no time at all learning the F70 in my slow and totally anal way, what I learned will pay me back 10 fold for that time invested from here on and this year has already proved that to me...and it has barely just begun.
Unbelievably, for all I learned and all I know I suspect I have still only barely scratched the surface of what this thing is actually capable of.
It still surprises me on almost every hunt and my learning curve is just beginning and will never end.
I never stop learning no matter what brand or model detector I happen to have in my hands at the time, never.
There is always something more that will add to your information and experience arsenal that you can learn.

The F70 is one of those sleeper units I believe...the Flagship F75 is fantastic and has features and abilities that make it well worth the price, but if anything the F70 might be an even better value pound for pound for those that can't or don't want to spend the kind of money the new flagships cost.
It has some almost magical and unbelievable abilities that those who take the time to understand how to use them and learn to use those abilities to their great advantage.
We F70 guys are a comparatively small lot when you look at how many use and love their F75's...but we are a loyal, committed and vocal group never the less.
Lots of help here if you decide to test the waters again with an F70.
So many here use the thing in so many different ways with such a varying range of settings I am sure we can help you find some very quiet ones that will serve you well if that is what you want to make you happy when you hunt.
I firmly believe with all the settings possible the sky is the limit with this thing...if that.

Great Post Revier, I am a 40 year relic hunter and have my sights set on trying the 70. Low mineral ground here on the SC coast, I believe it would do well here.

been hunting 3yrs have a minelab explorer xs thats giving me problems after lots of research settled on a f70 so any help with settings to get me started would help thanks

tjb429 said:
been hunting 3yrs have a minelab explorer xs thats giving me problems after lots of research settled on a f70 so any help with settings to get me started would help thanks

Just do a search.
Use the words F70, settings, specify the F series Fisher sub forum and all dates.
Tons should pop up.
Or just go to the F series forum and start searching backwards.
Also the F75 settings advice from many will translate over to the F70 using similar functions available to both.

Here are a few with many hunters setting advice.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,1710979,page=1

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2007684

The F70 has not changed. It is still as awesome as ever but if you learn it the 70 will change you.------IB

Hi..The f75 is out of my price range..I will be pulling the handle on the F70 for sure soon..Not sure if I'm going new or a used one just yet..I know I want the 11" DD to start with...

foxhunter said:
Hi..The f75 is out of my price range..I will be pulling the handle on the F70 for sure soon..Not sure if I'm going new or a used one just yet..I know I want the 11" DD to start with...

It seems to work well with any coil.
Utilizing the possible settings even the large DD can be productive in heavy trash when set up correctly.
I also use a round DD sniper because I hunt some really trash infested sites and this just makes things easy to deal with that situation.
Even though most of my better targets hover around the 6" area a few have come from deeper regions and this thing is actually pretty jaw dropping deep for a small coil if you need that.
I have had great luck with the standard elliptical also.
Effortless, quick and efficient to use in pop top infested sites and the target separation is fantastic for a concentric coil and the depth is nothing g to sneeze at, either.
I have only had my F70 out for about a year's hunting time and I have found gold with all my coils but that elliptical found me 4 rings which even at melt would buy me a new F70 if I cashed them in.
More than one probably if I sold them as jewelry.

Also many have used the other after market configurations available and seem to love them as all around hunting tools.
There are no bad or ineffective coils for the F70, they all do the job once you learn what the settings can do for you.

As far as the noise....
It is not necessary to set these up with max power which is usually noisy to get deep.
These can be set to run pretty darn quiet and still get the depth needed for most any site imaginable.
Again, it is all about learning the machine.