Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hauling the detector(s) and gear

Looking for some ideas. Please help. I just purchased a new to me 2012 Jeep and would like to keep the interior as clean as possible. So my thoughts, use the receiver hitch to tote my machines using a Trailer Hitch Carrier and then some other form of container. Here is where I am at a loss. Do I build a wooden box, buy and expensive Rubbermaid storage container, buy a large cooler, etc. Do any of use something similar? I would like to fit all my gear inside. Two machines at least, two shovels (3-4 ft long) pouches, probes, headphones, etc. I also want it easily removable because when I am not detecting I am going to keep it locked in the garage. Show me what you use please. Thank you

Why not put the gear in plastic bags and haul it in your vehicle. Bags are cheap. No one knows what is in them and you do not get dirt in your vehicle. They make some huge contractor grade plastic bags that will last for quite a number of detecting trips.

What model Jeep do you have?

I just throw the detector gear in the back of my 2000 Jeep Cherokee my main detecting vehicle and call it a day.
With the rear seats folded down there's more than enough length space in the cargo area so the detector shafts don't even need to be collapsed.
After detecting, i clean and wipe down the coil and digging tools best i can.
I put the dirtier stuff like digging tools, gloves, pouch, etc. in a sturdy duct tape'd re-enforced cardboard box with a notch cut out for the shovel handles to protrude out of.
Not the greatest looking but it keeps the cargo area clean.
I keep other things like extra batteries, small digging spades, backup PPers, etc. in a small canvas workman's tool bag i picked up at a home improvement store for $12.

I also have a 2014 Jeep Patriot which i've used a few times out detecting. It has even more cargo room than the Cherokee. With the rear and passenger front seat folded down i've easily hauled 8 foot lumber in it.

Not sure, but if you've got a Jeep Wrangler with its smaller cargo area you might have to collapse the detector shafts.
I myself would never haul my detecting gear on the outside with a hitch type carrier.

i lined my trunk with a tarp, I admit the detector i just put in the trunk. But also in the trunk i have a tupper ware like big box maybe 2 feet long by 20 inches maybe 6 inches deep with lid. I throw in there dirty gloves, dirty propointer, digger, screw driver, bagged wipes, batteries bug spray and even an emergency roll of toilet paper in a zip lock bag. (never needed that yet). I put the lid back on. It really helps contain the dirt and dust CO