Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Have in common

coin hunter

I find this video funny. Besides having a metal detector what do most of the detectorist have in common
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEiE8n2NBlg

Hello!

I have less than 1 year experience in metal detecting and I never been to a silver hunt competition. I suppose the adrenaline is pumping that will go a long way to explain why almost all of the participants show a poor scanning technique. They all walk much too fast. I estimate they only cover less than 1/5 of the surface they are walking on. So my bid would be: poor scanning technique.

I quit watching it half way through. Is that some kind of joke?? lol I can't believe anyone really swings their coil like that on a regular basis. And I think the first 5 people were doing it ,,,very goofy. Like they are swatting mosquitoes. Really?? The one feller had his coil a foot off the ground with the coil on a 45 degree angle to the ground,,while speed walking across the field. lol

Personally I would rather dig a pocket full of clad and tabs than dig one planted silver. I know some hunters like the seeded hunts but it wouldn't be for me.

I agree, maybe they ran out of places to hunt or because of their sweeping stile they on occasions find something by accident. Either way it reminds me of a Eater egg hunt.

If you've ever participated in a seeded hunt you'll see the hunters swing like that.
I attented one in the spring and its a mad rush to get the silver.
There was about 50 hunters in a small area so its a scramble to get the most.

Seeded hunts are not for everyone but they are a lot of fun. You get to meet a lot of people, make new friends, you might win a new detector that is donated by manufactures, not to mention you get good returns on your entry fee for those who are proficient with form and function. We just had our planted club hunt and everyone had a great time regardless of what they found, it helps to be a people person to get the most from the event. When the targets are on the surface or just under, about any kind search technique works.

health insurance. In money some get a lot more than others except it's the young and healthy seem to get the most. I enjoy meeting others and talking about detecting.

i've been to quite a few competition hunts and the cleansweeps are banned from most. The one shown here is in a REALLY big field. They usually stake out about a 300' x 300' area, line up about 60-70 folks around and go!! You've gotta be fast to get the coins and tokens, recovery speed is the key. What you really want are the tokens for prizes. I've won 2 metal detectors, gold coins, silver rounds and various old coins. I've only had one hunt that I came up short of getting my entry fee back. Really a lot of fun and you get to meet some new folks and talk detectors...and spin a few tall tales as well!! It is funny to watch some of the guys swinging wildly around, but they usually come up with just a few finds and wonder why. I'm not gonna tell them!! Big bellies are optional of course!!

I sold a machine to my 30 year old nephew. I showed him how to use it on my test garden. He called me two weeks later and said he couldn't even find trash with it. I told him to bring it back so I could check it. I asked him to sweep over my test garden while I watched. He was swinging the coil a foot off the ground and the coil was angled outward. Very similar to that one guy in the video. Just remember the more hunters that have bad coil techniques means more goodies for us.