Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Have you ever read this? It is really interesting...

jbow

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/behindthemask.htm

Julien

Just did! Thanks for the heads up. Interesting to see what others on the ML forum will have to say about the physics of detection and multiple frequencies. The gentleman bases a lot if his conclusions on a few basic premises that may or may not be true. I'm not saying I know or if they are or are not true. I'd just like to hear some of our engineers and electronic techies determine if his logic is accurate. What a beautiful time comsuming study. I suspect if one did the same thing again, some of the events are repeatable, creating silent masking conditions, but wonder if they happen for the reasons he says they do. Regards...Jim

I do agree with what he is saying though, and even at closer distances there will be some averaging.. shallow targets will hide the deeper ones, whether its iron or a disced out piece of trash, the less disc you use the better chance you have at hearing any subtle difference... but generally ones that are close enough will average a bit of both

its the main why I like iron mask set at lowest setting and ferrous audio in fact.. nothing masked out that is non ferrous at all, while still not hearing high tone falses from iron, and most nails and other iron are quiet..
But yep the only true way to get it all is to dig every single piece of trash and iron out of the way.. I prefer just to get as much as I can.. save that insanity for when I have no more sites with those targets :)

its easily provable, I hunted inside a small shallow foundation many many times, it was only about 12 by 8 feet.. , one day decided to just dig some nails cause there were some nice old ones in there, and low and behold I took a shovel of dirt out stuck in the x1 probe and to my surprise I got a blast in the coin range and pulled up a large cent.. the bottom to the clay in the foundation was no more than 8 inches deep.
So I scraped off a small part a little by little, in this small area I got 4 or 5 more large cents many buttons and other targets and a 1740 Bavarian silver coin.. all of this hidden by the nails that were shallower.. most places its not possible to do that though... sure cant do it in a park.. at least if you want to keep hunting it :)

had another similar small foundation with same results.. lots of stuff hiding we cant hear.. I often wonder just all of what we put our coils over and never will find.. I bet we been over some mighty fine stuff..

It is important to remember this test was over 8 years ago and all brands of detectors have improved.

I've often said---I don't ever want to know the good targets I've missed because of target masking--(silient masking being the real killer)--I'd spend the rest of my days WEEPING!!!---Like Ty Brooks once said "we just have to do the best we can with the equip. we have on hand".----There's NO SUBSTITUTE for a small coil in heavy trash--I don't care how they part their hair or what the name of the thing is their swingin.---You just keep trying (in heavy trash) till you find a way to pull a few more "goodies" out of there. It just involves "wading thru" or somehow getting the "junk" out of there. Even at that-as Jim says-in some areas that just isn't feasable or possible.--So at this point (with todays technology)-I guess we just fight it the best we can.--Although I don't hunt that way--I've gotta admit--the (Explorer) ferrous sounds, all metal (or close to it) hunters have put up a VERY good argument.

The best I have seen:thumbup: It doesn't specifically address ML's but really explains masking and mineralisation effects. If he put out one on ML's, forget about it, Very knowledgeable guy.

Hello all,
Some interesting comments on this article are over on the tesoro forum at:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,806579

This silent masking thing is really incredible. I used to think that the removal of a few inches of dirt made a place productive again but now I think it's more a removal of junk.. not the few inches of dirt but what's in the few inches of dirt.

Hmmmmm.

J