Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hayfield Relics

61chip

Went out yesterday with my detecting buddy to hunt a hay field at the site of a long gone Missouri town. It was around during the war between the states, but I dont know of any specific activity there. Found some camp lead, rivets, part of a harmonica reed, a small strap type buckle, a toe tap, and I think part of a J hook. Once we started finding the camp lead, we were hoping for some buttons or bullets, but none were found on this hunt. On a previous hunt at the site, we did find 3 small caliber musket balls, approx .36 caliber. Figured they were just from hunting or target practice. Also found a neat flower with star suspender buckle and my best find was a 1890 Seated Liberty Dime -- obviously post war. What do you think? Possible that the site was used as a short time camp? Thanks for looking and HH Chip

Nice seated. If your finding camp lead there should be some bullets close by. Just have to keep plugging away at that site. What part of MO. are you? I am in Springfield. Mark

Hey, Mark. I'm up by Harrisonville. I spend quite a bit of time in the Springfield area for my work. I work in the farm equip finance business. Maybe sometime I'm down there, we could meet up and talk CW relic hunting. I'm kind of a newbie at it, and having a hard time with research If you'd be willing to share some tips, I'd really appreciate it. Also I have a site down there I've only hit once for a short time. No definite CW stuff found but its in great area and I think has some promise. Chip

Love the seated !! Head toward the water from where you are finding the camp lead and you should run into more goodies. Good Luck. CCH

CCH, thanks for the tip. That makes good sense. I will have to do some scouting around -- I'm not sure what direction the closest creek is. Back in the day, this area was a townsite, so I'm sure there were probably wells present too. Do to the small amounts of possible CW finds there, I was thinking that maybe some troops just had a short rest there while on the move. However, finding the closest creek might lead me to an overnight or longer camp. The search will continue!

Good tip there CCH. Natural water ways were like a magnet back then and are still traveled to this day. If you have a water machine get in those creeks and shallow rivers. Check out all old crossings and areas with big OLD shade trees. Good luck and HH :minelab::fisher::teknetics:

61 Chip,

Have you tried putting that location, or, a town near it in GOOGLE MAPS and then traversing over to that area to see if there are water ways?

I have TOPO MAPS for Missouri by National Geographic on DVD. I am far away in southeast Missouri near the Arkansas line, near Poplar Bluff, and with a 15 mpg (at best) Ford F150 as my means of transportation, you DON'T have to worry about me poaching your site. I, also, have some topo maps, old maps on dvd that I bought off of feeBay. Delorme makes a nice TOPO product, too.

You don't have to tell me the town, just something near it for me to get a map and either mail to you, or, try to email so that you can look it up.

In your travels, if you run across an ALLIS CHALMERS 303 or ROTO BALER, let me know. I almost bought one from a guy up at MACKS CREEK, but am building a barn on cash as I go, and didn't have the $500 to outlay then. Misssed a 303 up at Lonedell near St. Louis for the same reason. I have a 1957 ALLIS CHALMERS WD-45 that I realy do love to death. Trying to buy ALLIS implements to go with it, but, again, having to put most cash into the barn project.

Depends on when your town was delisted, but it may show up on some of the older TOPO maps that I have on disk. Haven't gotten do to my research for this area, as I haven't been detecting but once this year and that was the old home place near hear where I grew up in the '60's.

PM me if you are intersted and I will look in that area for what I have on disk. Old TOPO maps should have creeks, springs, etc. on them.

Checking Google Maps should give you some of the larger bodies of water. Probably not spring names, etc. On this National Geographic program that I have for Missouri, it gives "Hollers", caves, hills, campgounds, old resort areas, etc.

I have the National Geographic Topo program installed for Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma. NOW... if I just can find the data disk that lets me get down to the level that shows all those features that I mentioned above. Everytime that I try to load it into the program, rather than by disk, I have a problem. :confused:

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Nestor

Chip...

Type in "TOPO MISSOURI" on feeBay. There is a guy who has many old Missouri topo maps in reprints. They are not excellent, by any means, but they are often times readable. If you know the USGS designation for the area that you are searching, he may have a topo map reprint for you. I have several for this area in southern Missouri. Like I said. NOT perfect, but often readable. $10 each.

For instance, here is what his 1886 map of the Verasilles Missouri area looks like on feeBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERSAILLES-MISSOURI-1886-TOPO-MAP-/360717557539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc711f23

Again, good luck and let me know if I can help you.

Nes

....another thought...

Go to GOOGLE and type in Campbells Gazetteer of Missouri. Look for the link for the book that has "books.google.com" in the link.

Click on it. This is a free download in several formats, often in a book reader like Kindle format, and PDF. I get the PDF's. Save th em to your computer. Then, once on that link, look for other books, like the JESSE JAMES, lots will pop up. HISTORY OF MISSOURI, lots will pop up. OFTEN... these are FREE downloads. Especially, if the book was released before the early 1900's.

Campbells Gazetteer was in the late 1800's. Should mention the town that your hunting.. Put in the HISTORY of (whatever county that you are hunting) Missouri in that books.google.com site. YOU may get lucky and a FREE history of that county was written prior to the early 1900 teens.

I have tons of them on my computer. If you like, I could put what I have on a dvd and mail it to you. Would need your mailing address.

Anyway, hope all this helps.

Best,

Nes