Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphone impedance

skookum

High there,
Just getting back into the hobby, after a break of about two decades.
Scored myself an oldie, a 6000/DI PRO SL.
Now I am wondering, whether it matters what impedance headphones I plug into the unit.
There isn`t anything in the manual regarding any specs to the matter.
And by looking through ebay, I saw headphones with impedances ranging from 8Ohm to way over 600Ohm.
It`ld sure be nice, to get some tips from the pros, cause I know that with loudspeakers on my stereo, this fact sure plays an important role.
HH
skookum
from Germany

Hi Skookum, I also would like to know witch is best for alot of Whites detectors, MXT, DFX, IDX, . Maybe Larry or Monte will jump in and let us know.

It seems that most of the headphones made for metal detecting is 150 ohms or there abouts. I have used others from 8 ohms on up but one of the best wired headphones I have ever used is the SunRay Golds. There are others in that same price range (IE Detector Pro) with similar features that work just as well. My suggestion is stick with headphones made for detecting, they have features that come in real handy like a limiter, separate volume controls and a mode switch for compatibility with most detectors. Comfort, fit and isolation from outside noise are other nice features found on the phones made for detecting.

High,
Thanks Larry, for the answer.
Since I`m located in Germany, the choice of specialty headphones with dual volume controls is quite limited.
I will however order a pair of of Whites Royal GT headphones from the UK.
At a price of 36 UK-Pounds plus postage that seems to fall into a bearable cash outlay.

By the way, this is a very nice and imformative website.

Greetings from Germany
skookum

The Royal GT headphones are low impedance phones. Low impedance will make them sound louder, but their fidelity is nowhere near that of Sun Ray, Grey Ghost, or (if you can find them) Rat Phones. Further, the higher-end headphones have earcups that are made of material more dense than the thin plastic of Royal GT's which cancels outside noise (such as wind). Also, the earmuff material is usually a much more durable and comforatble leather like material rather than plastic.
Rumour has it that White's will be coming out with a high end set of wired headphones in the near future. Having used their wireless headphones with my V3i, I imagine they would be similar, though lighter without batteries and electronics.

Every city has a place where top quality stereo equipment are sold. They will also have a dozen or so top quality headphones. Try each and every one until you have decided which one suits your hearing needs. Bingo, headphone problem solved. Each person's hearing is different and by listening to me or countless others on which one's to buy, if not satisfied before you try, there goes $100.00. Give the stereo shop a try and price's will range from $50.00 thru $300.00. If this is not the way you want to go, good luck window shopping....The cost of my phones, $225.00 and the best $225.00 I have ever spent.