Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HEADPHONES . . . do they make a difference?

metman

I want to know if anyone has any thoughts on headphones.

Do they make a difference when detecting?
What should you look for when shopping for a headphone?

Also, I would be interested to know what headphone you are using and any experiences you may have had with various headphones.

Do they make a difference as in detecting with them vs not wearing any? Yes they do. I prefer the noise cancelling ones such as the Grey Ghost that I use with my ctx. The less background noise you have to deal with the better. Especially if your detector gives off whisper signals on deep or on edge coins.

It's a MUST to have headphones when detecting IMHO. You can hear those really faint targets and besides, it doesn't bother others when you're around any public place.

I've use the SunRay ProGold phones for years and wouldn't be without them. They have a limiter and volume controls for both ears. They stay on your head without any problems. The leather ear covers are so very comfortable. I liked mine so much, Larry bought himself a pair. :) I don't have any complaints about ProGold phones at all. 100% satisfied. They're a bit pricey but well worth every penny!

HH,
Nancy

There are several quality headphones made for metal detecting and I would suggest sticking with them as opposed to headphones for music listening. Expect to pay around $100 or more for them but one deep find could easily pay for themselves........:biggrin: Not only do they help you hear the deep faint signals, they block outside noise and equally important they keep the detecting noise between your ears so as to not bother others within hearing distance. SunRay Golds are my favorites.

I am not questioning if you should headphones or not. My question is when using different brands of headphones do some help distinguish signals better then others? My original thought would be, yes. I would also think that to get the best use out of our detectors one should not be too cheap with headphones which may defeat the quality of the detector.

If I am going to spend around $100 for a pair I would like to know what the members have to say about comfort, quality, pricing, etc. I would rather get advice from the members then the metal detecting companies.

Thanks for any advice anyone has!!

None of the people who just tried to answer your question work for detecting companies. They are very good and experienced detectorist. In my opinion all three gave you some good insight as to how you can hear the whisper tones better (if your detector has that feature) and their comfort, quality and price. I'm sure their are many different types and styles still yet to be discussed and sure other members will come in. :):thumbup:

Myself I use a garret ace 350 that has minimal tones and features and so I use headphones mostly to not bother others around me. Although in loud areas they definitely help me hear the tones better. I won them at a club meet and I believe they are from Whites. Not terribly expensive but good enough and have volume on each side which is nice. For my setup they work well. If had a ctx or something nice I would probably go better quality.

Hope you find a nice pair for your needs. HH!

Sorry, I was not trying to suggest that anyone who responded works for any company that sells metal detectors. I know that Larry and Nancy are very experienced as are many other members. My comment was to mean that I would rather ask the members of the forum their opinions rather then getting opinions or reviews from the metal detecting companies.

You seem to be happy with your Whites headphones that you use with your Garrett but suggest that you would probably look for better quality if you were to use them with a CTX or some other machine. I guess my question would be is it advantageous to purchase a better quality headphone set with a better quality machine?

I am using an e-Trac machine, but my headphones are not that expensive (better quality). Would I be able to better distinguish the good sounds from the trash sounds using a better quality headphone? I was just wondering what people are using and if anyone felt that a better quality headphone will allow you to maximize the electronics that are built in the better quality (higher priced) machines. Christmas is coming and I may want to ask Santa for something!!:)

Thanks again for all the comments.

I use pro gold also a sunray product...went through a half dozen pair of " cheapy" headphones finally broke down got a good set and have had no trouble.I believe a good set is the way to go IMHO.

I used the Etrac for a year and I definately would recommend using a good set of headphones. The deep on setting makes everything sound the same depth regardless of whisper tones etc. Grey Ghost, Killer B, Gold Pros all work well. Not to mention they keep your ears warm in the colder months.