Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphones... one last time :sadwalk:

I'll start this by saying that this is not a complaint, just a simple report of what happened to me.

A friend of mine loaned me his CTX for the day to do some comparison to my Etrac.... which was awfully nice of him! Anyhow, I got to experience first hand the "headphones will not shut off the speaker" issue... thus my Grey Ghosts were not used and today I just used the speaker.

Later I got to thinking - why not pull out my Koss headphones which came with my Etrac (Bob did not loan me his headphones, or his wireless module) and use them for the day. After all, the Koss headphones are supposed to work just fine.

Much to my surprise, even using those 3 year old Koss headphones I could not shut off the speaker. That was a dissapointment.

I read that the 3030 has a separate voulme control for the speaker. Seems like you could just turn down the volume and be fine. There must be more to it. My 3030 comes tomorrow so I'll see then.

After seeing your post I tried a pair of several year old Koss HP that came with an Explorer and they worked fine and shut down the external speaker of the CTX 3030. That is interesting.

Ralph (Sun Ray)
Sun Ray Detector Electronics
Certified stocking Minelab dealer since 1993
CTX 3030's in stock and ready for shipping!

When I get one, I will get the wireless module so this as a practical matter to me will not be a problem. That and I will keep an adapter around for the times the battery is dead in the wireless module.

Ralph, I will try them again tomorrow but that is interesting that you were able to make it work when I was not... :shrug:

After seeing this post, I tried a pair of Koss UR-30's (stock h.p.'s) that came with my Etrac.---They cut the speaker off fine on my CTX.---Interesting post--I had wondered about the older UR-30's on the CTX, just hadn't gotten around to checking them.--------Del

Well after seeing Ralph and Del's reports - to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid (which would be normal for me! :) ) I went out and tried them again. Still working the same, the headphones work and the speaker does not shut off.

As I stood there I thought of something something else.... to try a second set of Koss UR-30s from my Son's Etrac.

Guess what. They worked normally! :clapping: Sound came through the headphones, and the speaker shut down. :bouncy:

So in my house:

Grey Ghost NDTs do not shut down the speaker
Koss UR30s set #1 do NOT shut down the speaker
Koss UR30s set #2 DO shut down the speaker

And for what its worth, I have thought that it is possible someone could make a unique cord for the NDT to adapt to the CTX....

Hmmm, that's the first I've heard of the Ultimates working (cutting off the speaker).----You must have a good pair of Ultimates Michael---don't sell 'em. :)
mascard1 said:
My grey ghost ultimate headphones work

I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. The Wireless modual does not work with any of the headphones mention above either?
I have tried all the headphones I could muster up and the only one that worked (other than the set that came with it) was a set of ION's from my portable DVD player. I tried with both the detector and wireless.

Reeseb said:
I read that the 3030 has a separate voulme control for the speaker. Seems like you could just turn down the volume and be fine. There must be more to it. My 3030 comes tomorrow so I'll see then.

Hey Reese, you know, that might work!I have to try that. Basically lower the speaker volume - to do so don't have headphones plugged in, it is automatic. In other words you can't view two separate controls. When headphones are plugged in the volume control adjusts them. The CTX keeps the two separate in memory or the like.

Obviously, when I want to video, that won't work as I'll have to up the volume for every shot and then lower it again. Still a good suggstion.

Minelab - Please, if at all possible, correct this with a software upgrade. The pins are all separate as you can see on the waterproof connector, so it should be easy to do. Much safer than using a 2" long adapter and more cost effective and safer than us rewiring our headphones.

Albert

earthmansurfer said:
Reeseb said:

Hey Reese, you know, that might work!I have to try that. Basically lower the speaker volume - to do so don't have headphones plugged in, it is automatic. In other words you can't view two separate controls. When headphones are plugged in the volume control adjusts them. The CTX keeps the two separate in memory or the like.

Obviously, when I want to video, that won't work as I'll have to up the volume for every shot and then lower it again. Still a good suggstion.

Minelab - Please, if at all possible, correct this with a software upgrade. The pins are all separate as you can see on the waterproof connector, so it should be easy to do. Much safer than using a 2" long adapter and more cost effective and safer than us rewiring our headphones.

Albert

I tried it yesterday and, no, it doesn't work. :sad: