Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphones

Well I know I'm probably late to the party on this one but I tried a really good pair of headphones with my Sovereign over the weekend and WOW what a difference! I believe they were the Gray Ghosts. I was just curious what everyone's favorite headphones are. I'm in the market for a good high quality pair.

I have tried many different sets of headphones trying to get the ones that would work the best and found that for me on the Sovereign the Timberwolfs gave me the volume I needed for my bad hearing plus the tones are better for me. On my Explorer the Troy Pros work the best for me and on the Fishers I find the Sun Ray Pro Golds and the Gray Ghost work the best. I feel if you don't need the volume any one of these will work great on the Sovereigns with the Sun Ray Pro Golds being the most comfortable in my opinion.

Rick(ND) said:
I have tried many different sets of headphones trying to get the ones that would work the best and found that for me on the Sovereign the Timberwolfs gave me the volume I needed for my bad hearing plus the tones are better for me. On my Explorer the Troy Pros work the best for me and on the Fishers I find the Sun Ray Pro Golds and the Gray Ghost work the best. I feel if you don't need the volume any one of these will work great on the Sovereigns with the Sun Ray Pro Golds being the most comfortable in my opinion.

Thanks Rick,

I'm going to just have to try them out myself I guess. After trying the Ghosts I can't believe I have gone this long without them.

Hey Joey, The Grey Ghosts are real good, I lean toward the Timberwolves a bit though.....Check out the Timberwolf ''Predator model'' They are plenty loud are nice and cozy

I've only had one pair of detecting headphines, the Sun Ray Gold, (not pro). I've always been happy with them. I sometimes use cheap "on the ear" when it is really hot but I like the SRs much better.

J

What do the Troy Pros do for the Explorer that the others don't? Do you have and E-TRAC, if so is it the same with the phones?

Thanks,

J

Julian,

I need the volume as my ears are not good anymore and with most headphones there just wasn't enough volume for me. I tried many different headphones on the Explorer and even had to add a amplifier to get a decent volume, but after I tried the Troy Pros I got good volume and better tones for me than anything I had tried before. I don't even use a amplifier anymore as the volume and tones are great for me now. I tried them on my new E-Trac and they work good there too while the E-Trac works GREAT for me and one of my hunting buddies. I will be selling my SE Pro and I think he will sell his SE with the Pro coil on too as the E-Trac just works much better for us.

n/t

For years I have been using the Gray Ghost Deep Woods Model headphones and they have worked great with the Sov and the Explorer. Plus they have the added bonus of there being now controls or switches on the outside of the headphone. This is important to me as I hunt the beaches all Winter and on really cold days I have a hood pulled over my head with the headphones inside. With other headphones with controls on the outside everything I turned by head either the volume controls would turn or a switch would get switched. But that problem was eliminated with the Deep Woods plus they have great tone and good volume for the GT.

Interesting that one other very good headphone has not yest been mentioned.....The Gray Ghost Black Widows......They have better noise reduction than most headphones..they are 29db whereas most of the rest are 24db. Until this past week I didn't realize just how big a difference the extra 4db could make until this week when I bought my first set of them. It helps in 2 ways.....first it lowered the background noise (SURF) in doing so it made the Threshold and Target responses seem much louder. I haven't' tried them on my GT yet but I have been using them on my E-Trac and I really like them. Not sure if I will still be saying that this Winter when I have them under the hood of my coat...I maybe cursing them then :) But I can always go back to my Deep Woods on the really cold days. Anyway for now the Back Widows have been moved up to my number 1 preference in headphones. JMHO

HH

Beachcomber

Thank you all, I'm going to see if I can try several models out and see what works best. Thanks for the help narrowing it down to a few models.

Joey

One model of headphones that hasn't been mentioned--the new Ratphones Max--they are nice headphones with very good tone quality.-----The Sunray Pro Golds are also hard to beat (IMO).----Del

Rick,

I have a pair of Timberwolf phones, but they don't work right on my SOV. I have to keep messing with the jack, or I can't get a connection. I just wonder if these phones are for a whites or something. Don't they make these for specific models? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

CQ

Do you know What model they are, most I know of work for any detector as they have a toggle switch for the different detectors. If you have to move the cable at the plug for them to work I would say you have a bad wire in the cable at the connector end. I don't know for sure anymore, but Ron at Dixie detector makes these headphones and repairs them last I knew and I should contact him again too to get another set in case mine go bad as the Timberwolfs for the Sovereign are the loudest and easiest to hear for me and my bad hearing.

CQuarles said:
Rick,

I have a pair of Timberwolf phones, but they don't work right on my SOV. I have to keep messing with the jack, or I can't get a connection. I just wonder if these phones are for a whites or something. Don't they make these for specific models? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

CQ

Minelabs uses mono, could be as Rick says that they are stereo, by puling out the jack a bit they sometimes work but they should have a swich on them to change over, either on the outside or inside one of the cups like the Predetor ML have, others you have to reverse the lead like some MAZ models, if the jack has one black ring on it they are mono and should work if there is no wire broken, if they have 2 black rings on the jack they are stereo but should have a switch somewhere, or have a reversable lead.

I have just recently purchased the Sunray gold pro and i'm impressed so far, even the weak signals can be heard well, makes all the difference in your results

Thanks, Kered. This set has two of the black rings, but it also has two toggle switches. What you described is exactly what I have to do. Push the jack in just right to get a good connection, but then the least wiggle of the cord causes static, or switches back to the external speaker. I'm going to get in touch with Ron, as suggested by Rick, and see what I can do to be able to use this set of phones. When I bought them used, I didn't get a manual, so I have no clue what the little toggles are for. When I messed with them, I couldn't get the right combination of settings that would make any difference.

Hey guys what about the KOSS headphones that are recommended for Minelab detectors? I dont have hearing issues (yet) And since the Sov. has a volume control would you recommend these? Are they comfy on the ears as well, thats a big issue I have with headphones. I have a nice pair of jolly Rodgers by detectorpro but they have an outer volume control which now seems unecessary to me since I now use a Sov. Appreciate any advice as there is a new pair FS on the forum.

@ CQuartes, one of the toggle switches will change stereo to mono, the other is probably a limiter switch to stop those surface blasts on close items, plug them in fully, turn up the volume on the machine and headset then flip the toggles one then the other to find out which is which

@ Treasurechic, I personally have never used the Koss, but almost everyone i have talked to don't, the first thing most do when they get a new machine is to sell them.
I have read reports that they fall off when you bend down too, of the two you have i deffinately, recomend the jollies, turn the volume up full on the Sov and then adjust the volume on the headphones to suit.