Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello:crazy:

Kahne

I'm new here and to metal detecting itself. I pulled the trigger and ordered a F5 from Big Boys Hobbies (It should be here mid next week and can't wait). I look forward to sharing my finds with you all and I'm sure picking yer brains.
TIA,
Kahne
:starwars:

Where are you at in the World? Someplace warm where the ground and water stays above 32 degrees I hope...We look forward to watching you develop into a great detectorist, and sharing your adventures with us!
Mud

Hello
Welcome I think you made a good choose Have some coins and pull tabs etc to use to get use to your machine

Welcome! Once you fire that F 5 up and recover your first coin, it's all over, you are hooked. But, hooked on one great hobby. I have been doing it for 40 years and each outing is a new adventure. HH jim tn

Many great people here will help you get going. Big Boys was a fine choice for your purchase. Bart will be there with answers, if you have any questions when you get the detector.

Welcome!! Great forum and great people. Bart @ Big Boys Hobbies rocks! I bought the F5 and started detecting a year ago. It is a great coin and jewelry shooter. (I haven't ventured into relic hunting yet) Easy to use, lots of adjustability without scrolling thru menus. I have been very pleased with my results. The guys and gals on this forum will overwhelm you with help and advice. And as you will be advised by all.....search Mike Hillis comments to learn the F5. Good luck and Happy Hunting. You will be hooked in no time.

Welcome Kahne.
The F5 is a very good detector. Just go out there and have fun digging up some coins :clapping: and probably a lot of trash :rant: Looking forward to your posts with all your finds... Happy Trails....Z

Thanks all.
"Mudpuppy" I'm in S. OR. Weather hasn't been too bad yet <--- key word. :)
"Neita SC" not having to scroll thru menus was one of the big selling points for me.

Welcome to the Forum and MDing Great people here and GOOD Info.

Hi Kahne! Welcome and HH! Glad you found Bart and the F5- good combo. As one who has mastered 400 days of MD I'd like to share some advice/wisdom.
First, you claim to be from S OR and I am assuming that is Southern Oregon (I am pretty sharp as you can see). My F2 took a 2 week vacation when I used it on a SLIGHTLY misty day. Get a really good rain hood for your F5 ASAP and be cautious about keeping it dry.
Second, here is a secret that I spent many gray cells discovering and I will tell you what no one else will... Analog vs digital in MDing is uniquely used. Mostly it refers to knobs vs buttons controlling the MD's settings. Hence, the F5 is considered analog while the F4 is referred to as digital, go figure! Then again, it can refer to a needle dial vs a numeric readout. It can also be indicating how the signal is processed, but that is invisible to us so don't worry about that for now. I hope I cleared that up for you well in advance of your being confused.

If I can be of further help, feel free to ask! And if any of you newbies want to ad or differ with my explanation/advice... feel free as well.

Tom the expert :thumbup:

Merry Christmas!

Well since we are giving x-spert advice. :rolleyes:
1. Don't forget to turn your detector on before you go hunting.:detecting:
2. When you need to change your batteries in the detector. Don't throw the new batteries out and put the old batteries back in the detector. :confused:
I know of someone who did that. I will almost pinky swear that it wasn't me.....:rofl:
Go out and have fun....Happy Trails....Z

I'm in the Rogue Valley. My wife's BF lives in Gold Beach so I'll probably try some beach detecting out there. Any advice for beaches?

LOL....I lived in Medford up till 3 years ago. Now living in Idablow. Welcome to the hobby. Ashland has that old park but I don't know if its open to metal detecting. As you know Ashland is Treehugger Capital, USA. And yes I do greatly respect the enviroment....within reason.

Congratulations on your new F5! and welcome to a very addicting hobby :clap:

HH
Mike

hey kahne the beaches around here have alot of black sand most vlf machines do better here in the dry sand some beaches are better than others. i think the f5 has a all metal mode my f70 works much better in all metal mode on the beaches. theres a metal detecting club in grants pass i think its called rogue valley coinshooters i talked to the guy who runs it and he was very nice you might get with them guys on some of there outings you would learn alot that way. have patience and learn your machine dont be afraid to get on here and ask questions also if you dont have a pinpointer you should get one. theres alot of vidios on utube check em out good luck playing over there in gold country hh

hey kahne the beaches around here are tough theres alot of black sand most machines work better in the dry sand where its wet you have to ground balance any time you move closer or farther away from the water try all metal mode on my f70 its called at mode seems to work better on the sand. theres metal detecting club in grants pass i think its called rogue valley coin shooters you might get with them on a few of there outings you would learn alot from them. theres alot of vidios on utube on metal detecting should be a few on your f5 they really helped me when i first started. theres alot of good guys on this site dont be afraid to ask them questions good luck and happy hunting