Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello im brand new wanna no if you got any tips

raynsford

Hello im brand new to metal detecting
the only metal detecter ive ever had was 1 i got when i was around 7 from tandys
im picking up a minelab e-trac tommorow
just wondering if anyone has any tips
also does anyone no if there much difference between se / e-trac
many thanks
lee

i am getting my e trac tomorrow also and i am planning to commit the manual to memory(ha,ha) and read every post about the e trac and how everyone else is running it at least twice or a hundred times,good luck to us all.

I will get mine soon aswell, one thing that is good to have is a test garden. This way you can relate everything you watch and read and put it to the real world. Its alot better than going in blind.

I just got mine this week and have run it about 12 hrs. and have dug 8 silvers and 20 wheats at places I have hunted to the point of not finding anything else with other detectors. My advice GO SLOW and listen.

You neeed to know the manual and the basic concepts, but don't rob yourself of major fun. Many recommend 40 hours hunting with the factory preset coin pattern and end up leaving it there. Just relax and have fun and you'll read the manual and understand the part you are curious about when you really need to know about that part. Get a good digging tool like the Predator or Lesche. Get a good probe. Previously I thought the only probe to consider was the Sunray but have read some nice thing about the new Pistol Probe and the Garrett probe. The nice thing about the X-1 is that it is a 1" coil that is hooked up right through the electronics in the DTer. You can hear it in the headphones when you are using and it works deep. The only bad thing is it is more weight attached to the detector and it's carried on the detector. I use a swingy thingy so that's not and issue with me. Look up that attachment and consider it as a good helping tool, also. Glad to see you all aboard the train. I am not the expert. A relative newby but I am in an excellent position to know what helped me when I began using a ML. Regards to all...Jim
Please support the forum sponsors. I got mine from Lynn at Detector Depot and you can't beat his quality 'extras' that many add to their package prices. I got mine from him. Later!

Have fun !!!

Second, try to not get frustrated. If there is nothing worth finding in the place you are hunting... you will make no good finds. A good site is very important. Ask business acquaintances for permission to hunt places, ask your friends. Look for good places and if you get in one ask if they have any other places. Parks are good for practice and old parks are good for some decent finds but most will have already been hunted. However the ET will find targets that the others missed. Old ballfields and new ones are good for practice. The strips between the sidewalk and the road are public property. Vacant lots in town are usually good and i've never been run off one. In fact i've never been run off the lawn at a vacant house. Older homes that are being marketed now as a place of business are good and there is usually no one around who cares as long as you are careful with the lawn. Never cut all four sides of a hole, Three sides will still leave abrown spot but it will green up again. In lawns where it really matters you can get a knife, cut a slit and then widen it a bit and use a coin popper or a large screwdriver to keep the place looking nice.

You do not have to have a test garden to learn to use the ET. Just throw some coins out in the yard and go find them. Buried is better but just in the grass works too for learning.

Conductive sounds and multi tones may be a little overwhelming at first. If it is too much for you switch to ferrous and 2 tones. Especially if you are hunting relics or if there is not a huge ammount of trash. The ET and the SE both will give you a bunch of tones, at once, on a shallow target if you are in conductive and multi tones, a slightly deeper target is more likely to give just one tone. 2 tones will not do that. Shchho yards are good places to hunt on a Sunday or a holiday.

Remember, it is going to take some time to learn. Read the manual more than once and practice, practice, practice... the more you use it the sooner it will "click" and when it does... then you'll really love it. I'm not saying that you wont love it from the start but usually it takes some time before you really understand a machine like the Explorer or the E-TRAC.

Remember the first point... have fun, and the second goes along with it because if you don't have a decent place to hunt it isn't going to be near as much fun.

The best potyential for a good place anymore is private property... old yards. Parks are good but they have all been hunted and the easy stuff is gone. The ET will find the hard stuff but it will be easier for you to find it once you have learned the machine and have experience on it, so go find some old yards and you'll both have fun and learn your machine.

I expect to see some pictures of the great stuff you are going to find !!!

Julien

n/t