Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help! Can't decide between Sovereign and F75 LTD.

Mojave

Hi again,

I think I've narrowed down my choices to the Minelab Sovereign GT and the Fisher F75 LTD.

I currently own an Explorer SE, and after failing to detect a buried 8" mercury dime the other day, I realized that I wanted to get something that has a bit more raw power. I hardly ever use the SE's more advanced settings, so a simpler detector would be a little more up my alley. I've been told the Sovereign is the deepest by some people, and the F75 LTD in boost mode from other people. Both would end up costing me the same, because I'd probably insist on buying a meter and a smaller coil for the Sovereign, and I wouldn't have to do either if I bought the Fisher. The drawback to the Minelab would probably be the weight, and the drawback to the Fisher would be the fact that they are prone to EMI interference.

I primarily relic hunt, but I don't want to give up my ability to coinshoot. The Fisher has a fast recovery speed, whereas the Sovereign has the iron mask ability. The F75 LTD users claim to get a ton of depth, but at the end of the day, it's just a VLF detector operating at 13 khz.... nothing too out of the ordinary. But, they are apparently so sensitive that they get great depth. Fisher just won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the Treasureweek competition, and 1st and 2nd for the seniors. They beat out all the other major brands. Is this detector just hype, or is it really that good?

I know this is a Sovereign forum, but try and be objective. What would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

Personally i think you already have all the Raw power you need, the explorer is one fine machine, deeper than all the sovereigns i've had in most cases(i had a hot elite that would give it a run for its money) I have a normal F75 too, but nowhere i hunt can i use it anywhere near full sense so i can't see the benefit of the boost as it also boosts noise. Maybe a little time getting to know the advanced features of the explorer would benefit more. The Sovereign has a learning curve that takes some time to get anywhere near the top and i think personally you never do as you learn all the time, the F75 is similar. To get the best out of any machine takes time and patience, especially with the top models, to not use all available features is like only using half the gears in a truck, it will work but not to its best ability

i had explorer and F-75, traded for e=trac - nice in the dirt also.............heavy........i ended up trading back for yet another F-75 - not LTD.

F-75 is light, swings good, battery last and last and last................i am truly amazed by this.................deep and response.........SUPER FAST.

I just wished it worked G R E A T - on the beach.............does not..............just ok in the water and damp sand zone.............fine in the dry stuff.

i have newer GT and it works find in the dirt as well..............many of my buddies only use the sovereign for dirt digging.

can't comment on the newer LTD F-75............i hear things that sound to good to believe................if i were a relic hunter 95% of the time, i would have one to use for sure.

f y i

IF you are a relic hunter and sometimes a coin hunter the only way to go is the new F-75 that's coming out in April its black, it should I.D. a dime at 10+ inches with its new (dsp) which helps to identify coins at depth. check out Fisher's new web site, click on news and read about it. HH :detecting:

kered said:
Personally i think you already have all the Raw power you need, the explorer is one fine machine, deeper than all the sovereigns i've had in most cases(i had a hot elite that would give it a run for its money) I have a normal F75 too, but nowhere i hunt can i use it anywhere near full sense so i can't see the benefit of the boost as it also boosts noise. Maybe a little time getting to know the advanced features of the explorer would benefit more. The Sovereign has a learning curve that takes some time to get anywhere near the top and i think personally you never do as you learn all the time, the F75 is similar. To get the best out of any machine takes time and patience, especially with the top models, to not use all available features is like only using half the gears in a truck, it will work but not to its best ability

I agree with kered in his post here and also have near the same detectors(etrac/f75/tejon/excal).

while the f75 doesnt have minelabs beefy build quality, it is feather light, runs forever on batteries, IDs really well even at depth, excellent performance overall and a great warranty to boot.

you seem really interested in the sov, you should just try one. also spend some time on the explorer/etrac forums and maybe they can help you with your explorer. alot of those guys/gals are prior sov users and they can give some good input to you.

you mentioned a buried dime in your post, I would get away from those types of tests and take more notice how your detectors work in actual sites. such as when you get a deep signal play around with it, change detector setting and so forth, see what you can do to get a better reading. its fine to play around but if you wanna learn how your detector will really perform nothing can duplicate actual field conditions.

HH
Neil

Both are good detectors and takes time to get to know them as with your Explorer. Many love the Explorer and some just cant get used to it and understand it with all the differnt adjustments and what they do. I have used all the diferent Explorers and did OK, but always seem to like my Sovereigns when I wanted to get serous as it is more of a turn on and go detector. I now have a E-Trac which I really like better than the Explorer as it seems easier to use, I have a Sovereign GT which is the one I like to use when I get a old yard to detect and dont want to dig a lot of trash and yet get great depth. I got a F-75 LTD also I only had a little use on and do like it a lot better then the older F-75 which I sold. The older F-75 I did dig a lot of trash with, but also with the small coil and 2 tones I got some nice coins and 1 diamond ring out of trash others have missed. The F-75 was a lot lighter and nice to use and I find the LTD runs much smoother even though it has more power and does like rusty nail and other small iron like the older F-75 I do like using it but mostly in area I can dig with a small shovel and not so much in well care for lawns or parks. For coins hunting in yards and some parks the Sovereign is the one I will grab mostly, but many well worked areas I like the new E-Trac which to me is easier for me to use than the Explorers and run much smoother and gets good items closer to iron better too.

Rick

minelabs usually don't do good on freshly buried targets. the guys that won the treasure week competition do that type hunting all the time and it is a speed type competion. not the type suited for minelab.

Relicpro said:

I'd contest that. Fishers always seem to be bugged by the same old flaw....they love iron and the audio/discrimination always seem to be about ten years behind the competition. The reason why the Sovereign is always pegged as a beach machine is because it's the only possible choice in certain conditions without losing performance like other machines can. What works at one beach might not work elsewhere, but with the Sovereign/Excal you can pretty much be assured that it is going to work well regardless of the conditions. I bought one based on it's reputation of finding old coins at worked out parks that have been hammered with all the other makes and models (including other Minelabs). Old coins was my primary reason, rings second, and beach hunting a distant third for me.

The Sovereign isn't for everyone just like the Explorer.The Explorer even used in the quick start program is a very deep detector with great depth.My suggestion get the F75 LTD for a decent price(usually above MSRP) if you can find one.The Sovereign and Explorer aren't for dime store whimp hunters.Good Luck Ron

I had a F75 LTD. It is probably the deepest and lightest machine out there. It is truly a wonderful detector for those that have a high concentration level. The noise was too much for me. I want to relax while hunting. The sovereign lets me do that.

Just an update. I decided to keep my Explorer SE. I bought a 10x12 SEF and 15x12 SEF coil and I'm going to try those out. Hopefully they will give me a bit more depth.

I also bought the F75 LTD. I need to try it out to see if it truly lives up to the hype.

If you can buy another coil I would say the WOT's coil is and outstanding coil well worth the money. You can find a used one every once in a while. They are strong coils and very deep. Also they are 15 inch coils they cover alot ground. Great for small gold rings. Thanks

Now that you have the SEF 15x12 you won't need the Wot, far better alround performance from the SEF

The Sovereign is solid but the F75 LTD is cutting edge and offers much more. Plus, there are times when I don't want creep along to get good recovery. Nobody should be limited to one detector. You should get the F75 LTD then watch for a good deal on a used Sovereign, they never seem to break. I wouldn't worry one bit about buying a used Sovereign.

J

I like detectors!! I'd add a couple more if I could get away with it, laff. The only one that never gets used is the SE, I need to sell it but I don't want to give it away... about the time I started thinking about selling it the prices tumbles.

J