Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help Etrac display question

eek

I just sent my 5 month old Etrac for repair and hope that I did not jump the gun..My problem is that I can swing the coil over a solid target and not get a display reading until I stop the swing and move away
from the target...I know that the Etrac did not do this new, but do not know if I am doing something different or wrong...all that I know is that it sure is a real pain to get a number off the display if I have
to stop every time I get a signal...anyone else have this problem???? If so, what did you do to fix it???

Thanks,

eek (Elton)

Seems mine would have a pretty long delay on the display when I used it last winter when it was really cold out. I think that is just a normal problem with lcd displays.

I dont think I,ve ever had that problem but just wondering, did you check all the connections to make sure
they were tight? Maybe someone else might know what causes it to act that way. HH

I am in Mobile, Alabama and the temp during the day has not been to cold, so don't think that is the problem.

eek

Yes I did, and also changed the 6x8 sef to the factory coil to make sure that not the problem.

eek

Check your "display timeout" in the preferences section of the menu. I can't remember where I have mine sent, but remember if set one way it will do what you are experiencing. Try that.

NebTrac

it does that if there are a lot of targets in the ground, did it do this at multiple locations or just once?

I did this at several locations....I put a quarter,dime,nickel,and penny down on the ground and did not get a meter reading on any on them until I moved the coil away from the coin and let it sit idle over nothing.
At that time I would get a meter reading.

eek

I've been having that problem ever since I got my machine (have about 45hrs on it now) and it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm in conductive or TTF........

I have had my Etrac for about 6 months and it started out great and as the months rolled by I got to noticing the delay in the display...i thought it was me for a while and then it got
totally out of control...well I have it at Minelabs repair facility (KellyCo)...they should have received it today and hopefully in a week or so I will have it back...I don't know how many
hours I have on it but I use about 4 times a week from 2 hours min. to a 6 to 8 hour hunt, so it has been used and well liked.
Thanks for the reply and HH.

eek(Elton) Mobile, Alabama

there is always some delay whether its etrac or explorer and the more targets the longer it takes. its never instaneous.

I understand that there will some delay, but with that said, to swing the coil over the target 10 to 12 times and get no display reading on that target until I quit the swing and
hold the coil off to the side of the target and wait for a readout. That is a little slow, but we will see if Kellyco can find a problem with the Etrac. Do you know if Kellyco
has always been the repair site for Minelab in the US???

HH
eek

Kellyco? That's not where I sent mine when I had a problem. let us know what they tell you. good luck.

eek said:
I understand that there will some delay, but with that said, to swing the coil over the target 10 to 12 times and get no display reading on that target until I quit the swing and
hold the coil off to the side of the target and wait for a readout.

HH
eek
That is exactly what mine has been doing and it seems worse than when I first got the machine? I have been hunting some very trashy areas tho.... I'll check into the timeout thing and try some different settings, hunting areas,etc. and see what happens........

Does the thresh hold noise go silent too when this happens? Just trying to understand in case it happens to my E-Trac.

Roy

roygpa said:
Does the thresh hold noise go silent too when this happens? Just trying to understand in case it happens to my E-Trac.

Roy
On mine it does....kinda like a null on steroids? Yesterday was the worst it's done it and I also had to stop, hold coil still way off the ground, wait for threshold to return and as soon as I started to sweep maybe one quick readout/signal then stop, raise coil, etc., etc. I personally think it may have been a combo of too many targets, pipes, electric lines underground/overhead...???? Kinda like an overload....too much for the machine all at once? I was getting audio with no readout at times? Raining/snowing lately so not sure when I can get back out. I'm not gonna get excited until I play with it some more.......

Happens to me when the machine nulls. Get over the target you are interested in with a very tight wiggle and raise the coil straight up and wait for the threshold to return and the ID will usually come up on the screen. Often times if I get good audio, I don't bother with the visual reading. Just go ahead and dig it up.

Glad this thread got dug up..... UPDATE: My problem that was similar the the OP's was basically my lack of experience with the E. The area I was hunting was definately "overloading" the machine with targets, pipes, waterlines, electrical stuff underground, etc. Machine has been used in less trashy areas and working fine.....