Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help-How do I prevent deselected VDI's from displaying in a search?

w4uvvjw

Hi Everybody,

I've had my V3i for several weeks and have a setup situation so far I cannot resolve. I just did a global search in this forum for the topic and received no returns so I am posting a "help" type message.

Problem: No matter what setting combinations I select impacting VDIs using a slightly modified Coins and Jewelry program running in the Discriminator mode I cannot prevent deselected (i.e., unwanted) VDI numbers from displaying. I do NOT want VDI numbers 0 to -95 (i.e., iron) to display when I am doing a search. I want only the VDI numbers I selected to display. I selected VDI numbers +1 to +95 to display and assigned individual audio tones for selected VDI ranges (i.e., 125 cps for +1 to +15, etc.). For 0 to -95 I muted (i.e. assigned 0) for VDIs 0 to -95. For some reason all 0 to -95 individual VDIs still may display as the V3i determines when doing a search. It is annoying and distracting to view deselected -VDI number displays. So far I cannot prevent -VDIs from displaying and am coming to the conclusion I cannot prevent them from displaying. If that is the case then why give the user the option of deselecting them? Any help would be appreciated as to what settings to change, if any, to prevent deselected -VDI numbers from displaying when searching. Tnx.

1. Program Used: A slightly modified version of Coins and Jewelry.
2. Using Discriminator mode... not mixed mode or all metal mode
3. Sensitivity: Usually 7
4. Discriminator Settings: 0 to -95 DESELECTED. +1 to +95 SELECTED.
5. Coil size: White's Super 12/300
6. Area of country: central Va. low mineralized soil to hard pan clay...varies
7 Sensitivity probe: varies with numbers selected.
8 Ground probe: varies with numbers selected
9. Ground Track: Autotrac

John

[No message]

Tnx. I made the change and verified my discrimination VDI selections. "Visual reject" is checked. VDI numbers 0 through -95 are not checked in each VDI edit box selection. The change did not work. I don't know why it should have. Negative VDI numbers still display with audio tone when doing a search.. I must be doing something else wrong. If so I don't know what it is.

John

Are you talking about the spectragraph graph, or the VDI number that gets displayed? Checking Visual Reject should keep the rejected VDI #'s from displaying. The spectragraph will still show the bars for the rejected VDIs though.

I am referring to VDI number display in the upper left corner of the search screen with accompanying audio tone. I want + VDIs with selected audio tone to display and reject all -VDI numbers. I have checked "Visual Reject" under "Discrimination" and unchecked all -VDI numbers but they still display with audio tone.

I do not have "Spectragraph" selected for any of my viewing options. All search graphic viewing options are 'Sizing" excluding Pinpoint which displays a single black horizontal dynamic bar for depth with accompanying audio tone.

I have saved the program changes and reloaded the program but still have the same problem with deselected negative VDIs displaying.

I'm not there John, but I just tried it on mine. With visual reject checked the VDI number does not show. If the tones are set to zero I don't here them either.

It's hard to troubleshoot why you aren't getting it right.

You might want to start with a fresh factory program (reset/restore) I'm not sure what it is called. It sounds like something is over riding the Visual Reject but I can't imagine what it is.

The visual reject only works when the Spectragraph is on. The audio should still be off for rejected VDI's though. Sometimes your target can change phase while the coil is getting closer to the target (ground will have an effect on the phase coming into the detector as the phase is not able to change instantaneously - physics) so the signal can trick the detector into making an audio indication if it sees it as a good VDI before it shifts to being a rejected VDI. Especially if the iron is giving multiple lumps in its phase readings. Might want to adjust your sensitivity settings to remove those falses. Some turn off the audio for the VDIs they don't want to hear rather than using the discrimination settings. The discrimination settings decrease or increase the audio depending on the target being rejected or accepted. It's on a curve - not a sudden off or on. By adjusting the audio tone for the rejected targets to zero, there won't be that lag for the audio to turn off like you'd see with the discrimination settings.

Tnx. for trying to help. I called for Mary at Whites Tech help to tell me how to do a master reset. Possibly the software has become corrupted. Not a problem. I know the settings I want to reenter.

John

Keep us posted John, good luck.

Well now, that's really nice to know after 8 hours of mostly wasted time today. I don't recall reading anywhere in the V3i documentation, disjointed as it is, and even after downloading the additional documentation from White's website, that Visual Reject works only with the Spectragraph selection option. I previously owned a Spectrum XLT and went through many learning curve months attempting to optimize various programs using various 100+ user setting entry combinations. I finally had some success thanks to various forum posts. I think the V3i has about 170 different user settings combinations. A user should not have to depend on forum user posts to know of this restricting option information. It should be documented in a comprehensive explicit component/feature discussion user's manual because unfortunately not everyone, including myself, is an expert user who can relate to the more esoteric aspects of the technology "out of the box".

So now I must use the Spectragraph display option when searching although I prefer the Sizing display option. If you had not responded I would have done a master reset thinking I had corrupted the software and still had the same problem. Since this constraint is not documented that I could find in the user's manual, other V3i users will have the same problem only they probably will not know to read this post on this forum addressing that problem..

Whites should not have introduced this model until a comprehensive detailed user's manual also was ready.

That sucks.

I appreciate your's and Rob's timely helpful responses. Tnx.

John

Success! Thank you sir(ak 1234)! I also called White's and left a voice mail of the problem and made a recommendation regarding this deficiency of the user's manual.

John

So now I must use the Spectragraph display option when searching although I prefer the Sizing display option.

This sizing screen is not really a search screen. To work properly a pause, 1000 -1, 1000-2, should be made before each pass. I never even thought you weren't using the spectrograph.

If manufactures could produce a book like you want there would be no forums. But there is a forum for each brand and model of detector, so that tells you something. Sorry you are not happy..

I do not think it is unreasonable to request the owner's manual under "Discrimination" discussion have "Visual Reject" documented in part with words to the effect: "Note: Functions only with the Spectragraph display search option".

Reference Spectra V3i Owner's Guide, page 44 under "Discrimination - Choose features that are used in the rejection of unwanted targets." "Visual Reject - "X" prevents rejected VDI numbers and their associated icons from appearing on display". There is no additional notation that it functions only with the Spectragraph search display option.

The operative word is "display". The user has four choices under "Search display" on the V3i "live search screen" "Search": "Spectragraph, Sizing, Polar plot and Prosp.scan" . Unless the constraint to Spectragraph is otherwise documented in the owner's manual the user could, as I did, have reason to believe it could be used with any one of the four search display options.

Interesting that this situation was not documented in beta testing.

Now that I know of the constraint in the future if I select another screen display option I will expect to get negative VDI displays.

John

She is a lady and a nice one.

I think people learn from there mistakes. with that being said that is probably why the vx3 manual is more thorough then the v3i, so i have been told on the other forums. Glade to hear you got your problem fixed... HH Tex

The reason the VX3 manual is more complete is because the VX3 has no on board manual. I keep a copy of each on my desktop and use the search feature.

Hello fellow V3i users. I have a question regarding number of programs vs processor memory vs processor speed. I have my V3i maxed out on custom programs. Is it possible,that the more programs you have in memory,the slower the processor speed of the detector ? In other words,would the processor work faster,with less programs in memory ? I know this to be the case with computers ( the more files you have,the slower the processor speed). Just wondering if I should eliminate some of the programs I don't use very much to gain better performance ?

Thanks for clearing up a perplexing problem that I would never have figured out by myself. After modifying a program, I couldn't get the rejected numbers to be quiet. I tried to get some help to no avail. The program works fine now.