Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help! need a tech? Grd setting:goodnight:

ufobbs

In reading "the MXT edge" I am confused about inital setup grd balance.

initial startup is normally a ground setting of 50,as set up by whites factory.
BUT if you start up with lock on position, ground balance becomes 83. As said on page 81 of MXT edge.

My question is" will 83 make the MXT deeper reading and more sensitive than balancing it at 50 for coin shooting?
It also says in low mineral grd. it is maximum sensitivity for small gold jewelry (thats nice)
I know about low mineralization but am curious about depth .Thanks.............John

I have not read The Edge, but where the ground tracking starts from shouldn't make any difference. It is where it ends up after the GB that counts.

You should not run either of those in the locked position UNLESS that is actually what the ground reads. I run mine in the 50 locked a lot only because that is usually what my ground around here reads. If you turn the MXT on and then flip it to lock it will be locked in at 50. (always check to see what the ground reads) Normally you should ground balance on clean ground and let the machine do it's thing.

Shortly after the MXT was out and I started using it I reported on the '50' and '83' "presets", if you will, the MXT has. That is, if you turn it on in either the ground or salt tracking position, it STARTS from a Ground Phase Read-Out of '50.' If you toggle to Lock and then turn the MXT on, it is at a higher 'fixed' Ground Balance/Ground Phase setting of '83'.

There are times when I have found myself in some challenging ground environments where the Ground Phase Read-Out would be from about 79-to-84 and yet there was so much small iron debris that I couldn't find a clean area to Ground Balance. The answer? Toggle to 'Lock' and turn the MXT On and I would have a slightly positive Ground Balance with a phase of '83.'

There have been about four time s when I was hunting in some very, very mellow ground (possibly in the 48-54 GO reading range, but again had too much trash to get a clean spot to GB. Solution? Hold the coil in the air, toggle to Ground or Salt, turn the MXT On and then quickly toggle to 'Lock' to hold that '50
GB setting.

Now, while it is handy to know that you have that capability, and there are some other uses for such "preset settings," it will ALWAYS be best if you bob the coil and get a "proper" Ground Balance setting. Personally, I prefer to NOT use the auto-tracking function and I'll get a good, workable GB and the lock it in. I'll update it as necessary.

Monte

Thanks for the reply MONTE, I see your point. I use the 50 setting mostly after I check the ground around here
Its not to mineralized and run the C&J mode. But I sure dig a lot of pulltabs up.I know I am running my dual field at about 3-1/2 because I dont want to miss out on the gold rings.

It is fustraing that I go over an area with the MXT ,Then I stop ,and get out my IDX PRO ,go over the same area and BAM I find all the coins.
It seems the IDX PRO is a better coingetter than the mXT (in fields). I guess I have to learn the MXT a little better it is a new machine to me.

My buddy and I both have the MXT together ( he uses the relic mode)and it seems the IDX pulls more coins than both MXT together as we hunt.Wierd HUH?
Well thanks for the info......John

more familiar with the IDX Pro. If you're running the same size coils on the IDX Pro and MXT then it might be that you're just "comfortable" with the IDX Pro. It could be that you are not running with the Gain/Sensitivity set high enough, or possibly too high? Maybe the MXT is just a bit noisier for you? It could be that the audio Threshold of the MXT is set too loud, or the raspy audio blends coin hits in to you? I am, and have been, a huge fan of the IDX Pro since it came out. A modified IDX Pro is definitely a detector to be reckoned with. That said, when it gets right down to all-purpose performance, I have to take the MXT.

With either of them I personally prefer a 6

Thanks for the input Monte. Ya the idx pro is sure a machine to be reconed with ,I used it today and found 80 coins totaling $4.79

in 2 hours.No the MXT is not too noisey because I am used to running a threshold sound on my IDX classic.\

could be my gain ,thats possible but a little more time with it will get me used to it I hope.Thanks for the tip.John

well i must not be ground ballancing mine right . when i turn on my mxt in the coin and jewelry mode it does not read anything , in that mode .
how ever if i am in prosping mode i do get a ground reading . that is showing the ground reading . ??????>>>>>> if i understand right you are saying when you turn yours on you can get a ground reading then , if so mine is not working proper .

kneelever

Hi Kneelever,Your machine is probly fine.
what we are talking about is this.Set your switch to groundmode, coin & jewelry mode, turn on the machine, then drop your switch to prospecting mode to view you ground setting.
Then shut it off, go to coin and jewelry mode, this time lock your ground balance sw.to the center position then turn it on ,drop to prospecting mode again to see a different ground reading.
There you go.My question was about getting more Depth with a different ground reading. Hope this helps you... John..............