Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help!! Private or Public??

I was checking Google Earth and ran across a pinned site by someone that says it is an old skirmish site from the Civil War and American Revolutionary War. About 500 yards away there is another tagged spot that has a picture of an old slave house. This is surrounded by alot of woods,hundreds and hundred of yards. There is alot of construction going on around these sites.Mostly building new apartments and housing. I want to know how to find out who owns this land or how to go about getting permission to detect it? Now I know there is no way in hell I will get permission to detect it but I figure it is worth a shot.

i would call the city hall in that town and ask,or if not too far away drive there,someone will know who owns it!

you can also see if the county has an online and interactive GIS plat map. The following website may have an old plat map of that area.
Registration is free.

http://www.historicmapworks.com

This isn't probably going to help with your state (not sure where you were) but I know Montana doesn't have Civil War sites (Ha!). This may be another cog in someone else's gear of researching? http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/ is a great tool for searching MT ownership but I have a challenge equating this to what other states have ... but I'm sure they all have something "similar"?

Us Realtors here in NY have a program that lists all property owners. Your local Realtor probably has the same thing so if you know one ask for their help. Most agents will help you because you may be a future customer. If you get a "No", try another.

Another way to do it is to visit the county office. They have maps of the entire county which will show the section/block/lot (SBL) of the property. Once you have that someone there will show you how to find the owner's name.

Good luck and HH, Mac

Yep,the county office is good, i once went there to try to find the owner of where a town was burnt during the civil war.
they told me the owner and even looked up the phone number for me!