Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help ! ! Probe Delema............

Grumpyolddiver

Well There is a New Gunfighter coming to town. ;) (CTX) He's water proof and is supposed to go Deep And just about every thing else. My problem is that I Love my Etrac. And The sunray Probe. This New Guy won't be able to have a Sunray probe. I went out today with Old Gimpy Jim for acouple hrs and picked out two Merc's 1926D and 1939P Plus a copper coin??? that is bigger than a nickle but smaller than a quarter. Will post a picture when I can.I guess My question is if your not using a Sunray probe........What are you using? Thanks Grumpy

I use the Garrett, the Sunray an excellent PP but I like the small size of the Garrett and it doesn't add any more weight to the Etrac.

Jeff

I use a SunRay with my E-Trac....but use the Garrett with my XP Deus. The Garrett in my opinion is the 2nd best option to the SunRay.

Grumpy----I've thought about that (plenty) what with this new "Gunfighter" that's coming to town.---I've used & loved the Sunray in-lines for years & I know I'm going to sorely miss them on the CTX.---Ralph (Sunray) said the CTX does not lend itself to the Sunray in-lines & that Sunray will not be making an in-line probe for it.-----What am I going to be using for a probe?---I'll be using the Garrett Pro Pointer (which I carry with me anyhow when using the Etrac with the X-1 mounted on it.-----If Minelab ever gets that hand held pin pointer on the market that they are supposed to be coming out with, I'll probably give it a try.-----Yeah, I am DEFINITELY going to miss the X-1.-----------Del

Garrett ProPointer.... all the way....

Another Garret ProPointer fan here as well.

I like the SunRay X-1 because it runs right through the machine and will give you different target reading making it easier to pinpoint the good from the "bad" in the hole. Less chance of coin damage with it.

Grumpyolddiver said:
Well There is a New Gunfighter coming to town. ;) (CTX) He's water proof and is supposed to go Deep And just about every thing else. My problem is that I Love my Etrac. And The sunray Probe. This New Guy won't be able to have a Sunray probe. I went out today with Old Gimpy Jim for acouple hrs and picked out two Merc's 1926D and 1939P Plus a copper coin??? that is bigger than a nickle but smaller than a quarter. Will post a picture when I can.I guess My question is if your not using a Sunray probe........What are you using? Thanks Grumpy

Is the copper coin a 2 cent piece? I believe they are the same metal composition as the 1909-58 Wheaties.

Man that's one I really liked to, Ray.----I had ear buds under my h.p.'s with the cord running down thru the inside of my shirt to the 1/8" jack on the unit.---A VERY precise pin pointer, I wish I still had one.----(IMO) not as durable as the Pro Pointer but it was just an excellent pin pointer.--------Del
Ray-Mo. said:
To bad they quit making them :thumbdown:

Hey C&Rhunter I think your right I can just barely see the top of the number 2 but not much else I could do electrolisis (?) on as it isn't going to be anything great anyway.Will see what comes out Grumpy

Grumpyolddiver said:
Hey C&Rhunter I think your right I can just barely see the top of the number 2 but not much else I could do electrolisis (?) on as it isn't going to be anything great anyway.Will see what comes out Grumpy

I do something sometimes on coins (that will not have any significant value) to try to see more of the raised detail. I take a piece of 800 or 1000 grit wet-dry sand paper (available at a car parts store), and gently rub the area I am trying to read, while holding it under some running water. It will often remove some of the deposit off of the highlighted areas of the item , letting you see what it is. Doesn't always help, but might be worth a try....And to clarify for people having a stroke about an old coin and sandpaper, even extremly fine grit: I did say "not on a coin with any significant value"....Good luck with your results...

BarberDan said:
I use a SunRay with my E-Trac....but use the Garrett with my XP Deus. The Garrett in my opinion is the 2nd best option to the SunRay.

:thumbup:

I just got a propointer this week..Used a bullseye for ten years..one thing I like about the garret is the distance it works..But it is harder to pinpoint the exact location of a coin compared to the bullseye.. I'm still working with it but over all I think it is a well built unit.