Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help to get the sand out!!!

stevene2440

I took my ls to the beach and had it in my back pack because I was using my excal due to lots of trash.
I hit a beach that was all cleaned up and decided to bust out the green monster...
My back pack had some sand in it and I did not know and it was taken apart.The coil got sand all up in it's threads and I'm having a hard time cleaning it out.
I have used a tooth brush and an air gun, but the oil or lube that is in the threads has a hold on the sand. Needless to say, I wont be doing that again...
How can I get the rest out? What is that lube? Can I flush it out?

stevene2440 said:
I took my ls to the beach and had it in my back pack because I was using my excal due to lots of trash.
I hit a beach that was all cleaned up and decided to bust out the green monster...
My back pack had some sand in it and I did not know and it was taken apart.The coil got sand all up in it's threads and I'm having a hard time cleaning it out.
I have used a tooth brush and an air gun, but the oil or lube that is in the threads has a hold on the sand. Needless to say, I wont be doing that again...
How can I get the rest out? What is that lube? Can I flush it out?

When you say the coil got sand in the threads, do you mean the coil connector? If that's the case, it's dielectric grease to
seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical parts. I guess you would need to somehow remove and then re-apply the
grease to keep the electrical connections clean to prevent any issues in a salt water environment.

I just did a quick web search and someone posted that you can use 99% Alcohol with Q-tips to remove dielectric grease.

I don't know if this works but it might?

However, you can find dielectric grease at most electronic shops or possibly Radio shack.

Thanks!:detecting:

Where the coil cable connects/screws to the LS box.
I brushed the prong but it is hard to get in the threads..
I guess I could swab a Q-tip in there.
I'm just concerned with what the greasy stuff is and If it needs replacing to make a water tight seal...
Thankx for your help!!!!

Give it a good spray of "inox" then blow easy with air gun, repeat this spray and blow action til clean, then a light spray of "inox"and assemble.
Job done.