Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with Hot rocks

ahunter

I live in Nebraska, which in most areas has milder soil. A Friend and I were hunting a field we had researched and finally got permission to hunt it. I was using a Vaquero and my friend had a Cibola, we both hit hot rocks these rocks were a good 8inches to a foot down. Our pinpointers would not react to the rocks. I took several samples home none of my other detectors reacted to the rocks. Anyone know how to recognize a hot rock and pass it up?

I have had the same problem in relatively mild NC soil. there are a lot of iron laden rocks. I even took them to a lab to have them analyzed--it was just mostly iron and my pinpointer did not react to them. I have heard you can ground balance to the rocks so that doesn't happen, but I do not know how that affects the detection in the the non-rock-laden soil.

Andy from Hillsborough

Make sure you identify what you found before throwing out! What ya'll probably found if that area has some history are coal clinkers and yes they can give off good sounding signals. Just curious as to which other detectors you have that would not read them? As for ground balancing to the hot rock to ignore them...that is not recommended because then you are not properly balanced to the ground which makes up the larger picture. Hot rocks at times can be aggravating (especially worthless coal clinkers) but I've heard ole prospectors say more than once that you want to check out more closely those hot rock signals for possible precious metals/meteorite.? HH!

ahunter said:
....Anyone know how to recognize a hot rock and pass it up?

Just curious; have you read "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors"? There's a bit about hot rocks in chapter 8.3. Good read if you have a Tejon or Vaquero, or really, any Tesoro.

No, these rocks are not coal clinkers, or cinders. These rocks would cause no response from my AT Pro in pro mode 0, no response Minelab 705 5x10 dd 18 KHz coil, no response Fisher F 70.
I was running the Vaquero at 10 sens, 2 marks below Nickle on the disk and a neutral ground balance.
No I have not read "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors"

ahunter said:
...No I have not read "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors"

Good read; check it out.
I was surprised when my Vaquero beeped one about 8" down... Thought I had something interesting...nothing but a rock!

Ate these books available for free or buy to download or hardcover?

ahunter said:
No, these rocks are not coal clinkers, or cinders. These rocks would cause no response from my AT Pro in pro mode 0, no response Minelab 705 5x10 dd 18 KHz coil, no response Fisher F 70.
I was running the Vaquero at 10 sens, 2 marks below Nickle on the disk and a neutral ground balance.
No I have not read "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors"

I'm not familiar with the Garrett, Minelab or the Fisher detectors you mention...do they use automatic ground balancing/tracking? When using a manual ground balance detector properly adjusted to the ground your hunting... only the rocks with a different mineral content than the ground your hunting will cause the detector to sound off as a hot or cold rock. A cold rock will null out your threshold in all-metal where a hot rock can sound metallic and needs to be further checked out for possible metal versus mineral content.

Stoof-tabsallday said:
Ate these books available for free or buy to download or hardcover?
Sadly, it's only an e-book for Kindle, available from Amazon. $9.95, I think, but a good read, nevertheless. A friend bought my copy for me, and I'm glad to have read it.

seriously what can be so hard I need a book to learn to twiddle a few knobs :ranting: people always think cause you paid for it its somehow better than what I might read here or learn myself.

really just go detecting my peeps save your cash for a feed on the way home :bouncy:

AJ

amberjack said:
seriously what can be so hard I need a book to learn to twiddle a few knobs :ranting: people always think cause you paid for it its somehow better than what I might read here or learn myself.

really just go detecting my peeps save your cash for a feed on the way home :bouncy:

AJ

I suppose you'll never know what you're not learning and it won't matter; at least you'll have that burger... :wiggle:
The book is absolutely not needed to operate these Tesoros.
It does however, speed up learning and understanding of Tejon and Vaquero for other folks, though. It may save some time getting to know your machine a bit better. Think of it as an advanced supplement to the factory manual. Nothing wrong with learning from someone who's obviously had plenty of time using both machines.
For anyone curious, Amazon will show you a sample of it that goes on for several pages. I'm reading through my copy for a second time. BTW - there's some good info about hot rocks here: HOT ROCKS

pinenut said:
amberjack said:

AJ

I suppose you'll never know what you're not learning and it won't matter; at least you'll have that burger... :wiggle:
The book is absolutely not needed to operate these Tesoros.
It does however, speed up learning and understanding of Tejon and Vaquero for other folks, though. It may save some time getting to know your machine a bit better. Think of it as an advanced supplement to the factory manual. Nothing wrong with learning from someone who's obviously had plenty of time using both machines.
For anyone curious, Amazon will show you a sample of it that goes on for several pages. I'm reading through my copy for a second time. BTW - there's some good info about hot rocks here: HOT ROCKS

I read a lot of people buy books and say they are great but I never seen anyone post one tip from one book and I have read 100's of posts about people buying books, so either they are lazy and cant be bothered posting one tip from the book, or there are no tips in the book that people who read a lot of forums posts don't already know, or the tips are that good they want to keep them all for themselves.

anyways which ever the case :biggrin: and like I got an Andy book with my etrac never even read it and found heaps of great stuff so would I found more if I read the book ??

my point is if I ask around in here and read a lot pretty much all the info I need is here somewhere.

so books are for people who don't want to or don't have time so they pay someone for their time to put it all in one spot, I get that !!

but there is nothing in a book I can not get for some of my time.

AJ