Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with two buttons Please

u2robert

I don't know much about buttons but here is two
I found in an area the 2nd Dragoons bivouac
during the Seminole Indian Wars.
The small button says something about Fatti nason BLAH BLAH I can't read?
The small button id 29, Eagle at 13
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    864.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    829.2 KB · Views: 121
Nice buttons for sure but I’m no help.

Pretty sure you have a Civil War era Union Navy there. You might post your pics on the civil war forum if you haven't already. There's some real expertise there!

Attachments

• 20210428_171951.jpg
    20210428_171951.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 81
Sorry to tell you but your buttons are both civilian fashion ones. A couple clues to your eagle button are the rusted away back and the rope does not go through the anchor ring. And, the lack of detail in the eagle is another clue. There is only one Navy eagle over anchor button that had a tin or iron back and it was a small one from a kepi.
And, while I am at it, the button posted by UTMike is also a fashion one for the same reasons.

Sorry to tell you but your buttons are both civilian fashion ones. A couple clues to your eagle button are the rusted away back and the rope does not go through the anchor ring. And, the lack of detail in the eagle is another clue. There is only one Navy eagle over anchor button that had a tin or iron back and it was a small one from a kepi.
And, while I am at it, the button posted by UTMike is also a fashion one for the same reasons.
I'm glad you answered the thread with authority and expertise. I'm always learning in this hobby and your post is a good example of good people sharing knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm glad you answered the thread with authority and expertise. I'm always learning in this hobby and your post is a good example of good people sharing knowledge.
I think the first button I found down here in south Georgia at a new site was one like you posted. I thought I had found a true bucket lister and was showing it to anybody that stopped long enough to see it. Then I posted it on another website and was informed of its true origins. Since then I have been watching and learning anything I could about relics and buttons in particular. I have a few reference books and I use the Waterbury Button website. it is a large site and may take some time loading but once you learn your way around it it isn't too bad.If you don't have it here is a link: https://waterburybutton.com/

Thanks for the link! Around Utah we get our share of buttons dropped by Johnston's Army on their march to the "Mormon War" and subsequent establishment of Camps Floyd and Douglas. Many stuck around to work the mines after their service. General service, "C's, I's, and Dragoons sometimes pop up. They're usually Waterbury or Horstmnan and have back marks that can be researched. I took a swing and missed on this Navy for sure! Thanks again.

Thanks for the link! Around Utah we get our share of buttons dropped by Johnston's Army on their march to the "Mormon War" and subsequent establishment of Camps Floyd and Douglas. Many stuck around to work the mines after their service. General service, "C's, I's, and Dragoons sometimes pop up. They're usually Waterbury or Horstmnan and have back marks that can be researched. I took a swing and missed on this Navy for sure! Thanks again.
I have a "C" and an "I" but sure would love to find a "D".