Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help :)

Lisa T

Hi everybody..was out with my V3i today.I am doing something wrong.Had it in C&J program was getting signaks but finding nothing :( will be back at it tomorrow.I have watched the DVD and read the manual.Anybody have any helpful suggestions? Thank You!

First try propping the detector up at home so the coil is away from any metal. Wave a few objects in front of the coil to see if the unit is working properly. Try a nail and some coils and jewelry.
If that works, then review your pinpointing technique. You may be detecting targets, but not pinpointing them correctly to find them.

George
Aloha, Oregon

Lisa, do you have a good pinpointer? I use a Garretts and believe me it would be hard to find things without one. I have tossed a quarter on my towel without knowing it because it is covered with the same dirt that I am digging in. If you have one, then dig to within an inch or two of the depth your detector says and then put the pinpointer in the hole and see if there is a good signal. Other then my V3i the Garrett's pinpointer is the best purchase i have made.

Tim

I don`t know if you are using the factory C&J prog. but if you are for some reason on this prog VCO is turned off. Go into expert menu, -pick audio, -pick pinpoint audio, put x in VCO box. This will give you VCO which gives an easier and more accurate pinpoint. The target should be just in front of where the stem joins the coil.

You are not clear on why you are not finding targets or how new to the hobby you are. You might need to turn down the RX and disc a bit, the machine can be pretty hot running in some areas right out of the box. You might be getting falsing. Take some test targets and put them on the ground and see if it see's them or you can pinpoint them. Check back someone on here will get you going for sure. Welcome to the site and the hobby. Happy Hunting Yazoo

You really have not given enough information to solve your problem. At this point people are just guessing.

As Mike asked, how new are you to detecting?

First, we need to know if you really are seeing targets but just can't find them, or you aren't really seeing targets (falsing).

This is where a good dealer or experienced friend who detects could solve your problem. IMHO, this was a reason in the beginning, Whites didn't want the V3i sold unless in was a face to face transaction with dealer. The dealers also were expected to include hands on training. For experienced users it doesn't make much difference.

"Hello" to you, Lisa, and please don't be offended if some of the 'tests' appears 'basic'.

There are several possible reasons for what you are experiencing.

Your brief post is a little vague, and so our offerings of advice will vary.

Try this simple test.

Place a coin on the ground, and with your V3i in an 'unaltered' factory program (like C&J), try this simple pin-pointing check on the visible target.

Scan...sweep the detector over the coin, which should generate an audio response.

Observe the displayed data on the screen.

Now, lifting the search-head a few inches above the target, move it several inches to the side.

Then pull the trigger to pin-point [size=large]WHILST AWAY FROM THE TARGET[/size].....[size=x-large]NOT OVER IT..!!!!![/size]

With the trigger still 'engaged'..sweep over target...

This should again produce an audio tone ( of type determined by programmed settings), and prove the normal working of your unit.

Hope your problem is soon resolved, and you don't get overwhelmed by the rush to assist............Tex

Lisa, Welcome to the forum! I noticed this was your first post and just want to say alot of the guys knows how to help you with your V3i.
Dont be afraid to ask,know matter what your having trouble with and they,ll be someone here to help you. Good Luck!:)

Thanks everybody...yes my description was vague because I don't know what to say because I am new to hunting. I looked at what everybody said and I believe its a pinpointing issue.I get strong solid signal but cant find the coin. I put a quarter in the ground the detector did its thing but the place it I dug was off from where the coin was.So I believe its the operator who needs more experience.. :)

Lisa,

The best way is to pinpoint in one direction and when you think it is right on ( getting the best depth number and signal in pinpoint mode ) let go of the trigger and set the coil down on the ground. Turn your body 90 degrees to one side or the other, leaving your coil on the exact spot but having it rotate with you of course. now pinpoint again until you get your best signal again. Your object should be right below where the pole connects to the coil. I some times dig a small hole to check if i am good at pinpointing and low and behold it is sometimes back a little bit. My way is to take exactly center of where the target should be and dig a 4" square around it so i get 2" to all sides. Having a good Garrett's pro pointer ( or any other brand doesn't hurt either ) If i cant pinpoint with that in the hole, I will recheck with the whites to make sure i was good with pinpointing and start again.

I hope this helps in any way,

Tim
Ventura CA.

That is one way but the best way is to turn on the VCO in C&J or use the Hi Pro program which the VCO is already on for you. The Hi Pro program is a very nice program that goes deep without any changes and if it is a little too noisy, turn down the Gain and or the Discrimination Sensitivity and you are set to hunt to your hearts content. You can then make small changes to the program as you learn. Good luck.

Hi, don't know if this is the right forum to post this.....yaayyy I found some coins..:) I have seen articles about cleaning coins with a rock tumbler. What kind of tumbler and what do you need to clean the coins? Am new to all this so thanks for the help. :)

Welcome Lisa. A rock tumbler is great for cleaning up modern clad coins,bad for modern pennies (If ran too long) but totally wrong for older coins. With old coins, it's best to leave them alone and post pics of better dates. (There are ways.....but only for some discolorations and corrosion types.) I don't tumble coins but hear Harbor Freight has a decent one for not too much money?

I got my tumbler at Harbor Freight many years back so you may want to try there.

Now when it comes to the detector false indications:
What part of the country are you in? I am in Southern California and would be willing to help, but it is quite a long shot that we are in the same area.

If you are in the Western States the need for a manual ground balance cannot be overstated. The western soil tends to be quite mineralized.

If you are detecting with other people you could be experiencing detector cross talk. I went to a club hunt in the area and was shocked at all the noise I heard on my machines when I first turned them on. The false signals were there every time someone got near my coil. If that is the case try offsetting the frequency a tad and it should fix that right up.

Another thing that can impact this is where you are hunting. If you are going to the same location to hunt try another location. Terrestrial influences can impact your detector. For example, power lines over head often make detectors behave erratically and I have noticed operating near airports will also cause interference.

Hope this helps,
The Shark

I use fish aquarium rock and dish soap and water to clean coins I fell the tumbler up 3/4 full of rock and I add the coins then water to cover coins give it a table spoon or so of ligued dish soap leave some room for tumbling then run them I usely go 3 or 4 hours I use one barrel for Penney's and one for clad never clean old coins it degrade them by 50 % or more. Just clean your newer coins ones you plan on taking to the bank So people can re lose them for you to find again. I love this hobby

Since the topic has moved to a new subject just start a new post and go to it.