Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Helped Law Enforcement Yesterday...

grumpyolman

A local agency needed to search for metallic evidence and asked for my help. I took two land detectors and one water machine as there maybe was going to be some swamp areas to hit. Didn't need to go there. It would not have been pretty.

You all take note and prepare yourself if you volunteer. The leader of the search asked how many metal detectors I brought. He then started to request volunteers to use the machines. I politely interrupted and pointed out that if someone doesn't have experience running the machines it's useless to stick them on a machine. The law enforcement folks, innocently, have no idea how the machines operate and how much operator skill and experience plays into the equation. Ended up my wife and I each ran a machine.

If you are hunting for metal objects for law enforcement, all the settings we normally use for finding coins and jewelry go out the door. In this case the evidence to be located would have been shallow. And...the type material would not have necessarily responded to a coin/jewelry setting. So I used all metal and lowered the sensitivity. I didn't want to hear the deep stuff.

Something else you might not think about is the size of the object. If they are looking for shell casings, that's totally different than looking for a rifle or shotgun. The point is, you are the expert and know what it will take to best be able to assist... so don't be bashful about asking the search leader any questions you need to max your potential to help.

Be aware of your surroundings. If they have you detecting the shoulder of a road, ask for an assistant to keep you safe. With your head down and your hearing muffled with headphones, and concentrating on a target, you are not going to be in a safe place to dodge vehicles on the road. I once was asked to search a back yard for a weapons cache allegedly in a 55 gal burried drum. This was at night immediately after a double SWAT team raid on a house that was selling major drugs. I thought about that for a bit and asked the briefing officer if somebody could watch my back side when doing that. I pointed out they just went in a swatted a bee's nest and then wanted me to go around the dark back yard, with headphones on and my head on the ground. They aren't stupid. They just don't know what we do and how we do it.

Interestingly enough several months later, after a similar raid in the same area, several of the detectives were involved in a gun fight with several of the dealers. This happened a couple of hours after the raid and when the detectives were doing their crime scene thing. Apparently the druggies to exception to the interruption of their business and attempted to create some damage to the detectives. Bad decision. The druggies lost...but I still wouldn't have wanted to be in that back yard detecting when the shooting started. Jim

When I read the following in a report by the DOJ on the events at Ruby Ridge I became very interested in this aspect of detecting:

"The use of metal detectors by untrained FBI agents and other personnel at the crime scene resulted in incomplete searches. For example, a private metal detection expert, Richard Graham, searched the Y in March 1993 and located the butt plate of Sammy Weaver's rifle. This search was conducted approximately six months after the FBI searches and with snow on the ground. We believe that the inexperience of the agents who used the metal detectors in the initial searches and the apparent lack of organization contributed to the failure to locate this and perhaps other pieces of evidence. "

For crime scene investigators to be certified by the International Association for Identification, taking classes in metal detecting is now mandatory. Nancy and I are both CSI instructors in metal detecting at our local college. It is so sad to see untrained people using metal detectors in something so important as gathering crime scene evidence. Our metal detecting club was asked to help search for jewelry from the victims of a mass murderer after the local, county and state police tried to find the surface targets several years back. The field looked like it had been bombed.

Being a retired Pa. Statepoliceman we never had metal detectors and were helped several times by local detector clubs with experienced operators. Hobby never started for me until I retired..Heck a while back saw FBI agents using them at a scene and one of them had the coil on backwards so indeed law enforcement agencies can certainly use our help whether it be a individual or club for our expertise...

I gotta ask what did u find?

I've seen a few news reports showing cops with metal detectors searching a Scene and NONE of them had a clue (or could find one). Glad to hear they are figuring it out. Lots of contributors here are LE, active or retired,and that probably helps get the word out. Some of the detector work by GI's in Iraq, etc., looks pretty haphazard too but I'm not sure what they are looking for and not sure I can critique that. It is said that dogs are better at finding booby traps etc. anyway. At crime scenes a detector would mainly be useful for addressing a specific problem/question, I imagine .. eg, find the cartridge cases and determine the shooter''s location, etc.

Part of the deal when you work for LEO you can't reveal what it was you were looking for or what you find. Could ruin a trial if it ever became necessary.

Normally search and Rescue folks doing an evidence search are asked to report ANYTHING they find that shouldn't be there. Once found a paperback book out on a beach. It didn't mean anything to me/us. We told the accompanying detectives and they bagged and tagged it. It meant something to them.

Did some detecting on the Green River Killer case and found a set of keys under some brush. Put my digging tool next to them with the tip pointing at the keys and called over the detectives. They bagged, tagged, photographed, and measured exactly where they were found. That case is long passed, but I can say the kind of car the keys belonged to was the same make car of a person of interest. Several years later I did find out the keys did not work on the doors or ignition. Just a parallel find. Jim