Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Helping Swansea Metal Detecting Club in Wales UK

E-TREC-Virginia

The Swansea Metal Detecting Club located in Wales UK and the Virginia Historical Preservation Society and Metal Detecting Club located in Sterling Va are teaming up to find the families of two WW2 vets who lost their dog tags during the invasion of Normandy on D-Day in an attempt to return them. So far, I have located the family of one of the soldiers (Carl M. Price) and I'm hoping that I get a return call with some good news. I found out through the local church that Carl's wife (Susan Quist) is still alive and attends church every Sunday. She is now 92 years old. Carl passed away in 2009.

The other WW2 vet is David Ochoa. He has passed away as well in 2005. I'm in the process of tracking down his family.

EAST CARBON/WEST VALLEY - Our loving father, grandfather, brother and dear friend, David Ochoa, age 85, passed away May 19, 2005, at his daughter's home. He was born March 1, 1920, in Tokay, N.M., to Leandro and Helen Cortez Ochoa. Married Beatrice Laycock, June 12, 1943, in Santa Fe, N.M.; she died July 17, 1997. Member of Good Shepherd Catholic Church where he was in the Knights of Columbus and a active supporter of all church activities. David was a longtime resident of Carbon County where he was a retired member of the United Mine Workers of America, Kaiser Steel Local 9958. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. David will be dearly missed by his family and a community of friends.
Survived by three daughters, Edna Magwood, Evelyn Hickman, Helen Jaimez; sister, Eva Lovato, all of Salt Lake City; sister-in-law, Lucy Casias, Gallup, N.M.; nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Preceded in death by parents; and son, Bobby Ochoa. The family would like to extend a special thanks to C.N.S. Home Health for the loving care shown towards our father. Funeral Mass was Monday, May 23, at St. Anthony Catholic Church. Vigil service, was Sunday evening at the church in Helper. Committal service, Mountain View Cemetery under the direction of Mitchel Funeral Home.

It would be so rewarding to be able to return these dog tags to the families of these brave men who put their lives on the line in defense of our country. I cannot imagine the horror they went through during that historic day and the courage it must have taken to keep pushing forward through what must have been pure hell.

See below for additional details.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

David,

Carl's wife (Susan Quist) is still alive. I contacted the church that she belows to and they are going to call her to see if she would like to have the dog tags returned. Just waiting for them to get back to me.

Thanks,

Steven C. Reigel
(703) 450-1876 (Home)
E-mail: sreigel@us.ibm.com

To: David Hughes <sec_swanseamdc@hotmail.co.uk>
Cc: "eric mitchell (USA)" <eric.mitchell1@gmail.com>, "Gary Gajewski (USA)" <garygajewski@gmail.com>, "LeVault, Matthew" <mlevault@fdic.gov>
Date: 08/01/2012 02:14 PM
Subject: Re: Found US Army Dog Tags in the UK.

David,

This is the Carl you're looking for. I'm trying to track down a relative now.

Carl M. Price, 88, of Roanoke, Va., transcended this world on Wednesday, October 28, 2009. He was preceded in death by his mother, Mary Catherine McLear; and father, Walter Carl Price. He was a 1939 graduate of Jefferson High School. He served in the Army during World War II and was among those who stormed Normandy Beach on D-Day. Mr. Price was the recipient of a Purple Heart, Silver Star, and an Oak Leaf Cluster. For many years he worked as a salesman in menswear. He was an active member of Unity of Roanoke Valley. Surviving are his wife, Susan Quist; children, Cyndy Jenkins, of Williamsburg, David C. Price, of Hiawasse, Ga., and Scott Price, of Roanoke; four daughters of a blended family; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. The family requests that gifts in Carl's memory be made to Unity of Roanoke Valley, 3300 Green Ridge Road, Roanoke, Va. 24019. A celebration of Carl's life will be held 2 p.m. on Saturday, October 31, 2009 at Unity of Roanoke Valley with the Rev. Diane Scribner Clevenger officiating. "Everyone please honor Carl by learning and growing in love." Arrangements by Simpson Funeral Home & Crematory, 540-366-0707.

Thanks,

Steven C. Reigel
(703) 450-1876 (Home)

To: "Gary Gajewski (USA)" <garygajewski@gmail.com>, "eric mitchell (USA)" <eric.mitchell1@gmail.com>, "LeVault, Matthew" <mlevault@fdic.gov>, Steven Reigel/McLean/IBM@IBMUS
Date: 08/01/2012 01:06 PM
Subject: Found US Army Dog Tags in the UK.

A Big Hello to Steven Reigel. Gary Gajewski & Mathew LeVault.

Thank you very much for responding to my request for help.

Attached are pictures of the Dog Tags and Google Earth pictures of the finds location, for interest if nothing more.

Dog Tag 1. Reads.....Carl M Price
55212824 T43 0
Mrs Carl M. Price
1415 Greenbrier SE
Roanoke VA P

There is a Greenbrier Ave SE on the Internet.

Dog Tag 2. Reads....David ochoa
18016669 T41-43
Beatrice Ochoa
Gen Del
Gallup New Mex

Had to use a strong magnifying glass on this one and read it from the reverse. Am wondering if he is of Native American Origin as when I looked up Gen Del on the Internet it appears to have something to do with a Trading Post.

The finder is Ron Sanders, a very good friend of mine..In the same field he has found US army badges, ammunition (small arms) etc. Plus a number of small silver 3d coins, which we understand the troops liked to collect to make jewellery from, for their loved ones. (3d = threepence, or as we call them 'Thrupenny bits')

Anyway Gentlemen, thank you again for your offers of help, perhaps you might like to sort it between yourselves as to who does it, or do it as a joint venture.

I have American connections, 2 brothers living in Las Vegas..one a Priest and the other married to an American ...I have a nephew in the US Navy (Subs)..I believe he is based at a Naval Base in Virginia.

Hope to hear from you in due course.

(Copy to Eric Mitchell for his information & my thanks to him)

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting.
David Hughes
Secretary..Swansea Metal Detecting Club.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Subject: US Military Dog Tags found in the UK.
To: eric.mitchell1@gmail.com

Hello Eric.

Now that is awesome! I'd think that would be exciting to see the fullfillment of "two" searches! Thanks for sharing.

NebTrac

Update - I may have located the sister-in-law of the other soldier (David Ochoa) who lost his dog tags during the invasion of Normandy on D-Day. I have sent her a message in Facebook and hoping for a reply.

See below for details.

To: sec_swanseamdc@hotmail.co.uk
CC: eric.mitchell1@gmail.com; garygajewski@gmail.com; MLeVault@fdic.gov
Subject: RE: Found US Army Dog Tags in the UK.
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 13:57:02 -0400

Hi David,

I believe I have tracked down the sister-in-law of David Ochoa in Facebook. I have sent the following message to her (Lucy Casias) and just waiting on a reply.

Hi Lucy, my name is Steven Reigel. I'm trying to track down any relatives of David Ochoa who passed away on 5/19/2005. The reason I'm trying to locate a relative is, David's WW2 dog tags were found by a Metal Detecting Club in a farmers field on the Gower Peninsular in South Wales, UK. I was contacted by a club member to try and help find a relative to return the dog tag to. I believe the David Ochoa that I found is the person who lost them. Based on what information I could gather, David was part of the Normandy D-Day invasion and was there in that field back in 1944. If I'm correct, you are David's sister-in-law. Please get back to me and let me know if I'm correct and if so, would one of his relatives be interested in having the dog tags returned. You can send a message back through Facebook or e-mail me at "sreigel@us.ibm.com".

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Thanks,

Steven C. Reigel

Good luck in the search, I hope it comes up positive! It's a great thing you folks are doing.

Update - Got some help from fellow forum member (Jason in ID) who provided the address and telephone numbers for 2 of David Ochoa's daughters. One of the numbers (Evelyn Hickman) was no longer in service, but, I was able to get through and leave a message on the answering machine for the other daughter (Edna Magwood). Wouldn't you'd know it that I would get an answering machine.:ranting::rage: Just hoping that this is the right Edna.

So, here's where I'm at with David Ochoa - Waiting for a call back from Edna Magwood (daughter) or a Facebook message from Lucy Casias (sister-in-law).

Here's where I'm at with Carl Price - Contacted the church that Carl belonged to and found out that Carl's wife (Susan Quist) is still alive and attends church every Sunday. They are going to give her a call and/or talk to her at the next service she attends.

I'm getting really close now.:super:

Big thanks to fellow forum member Jason in ID for the help.

Update - I talked to Edna Magwood and she is indeed the daughter of David Ochoa. She was just overwhelmed and could not thank everyone involved enough.

David Hughes of the Swansea Metal Detecting Club in Wales is writing an article that he is going to submit to several Detecting Magazines ('Searcher' and 'Treasure Hunting') in an attempt to get the story published.

Hi Steven.

I am astounded by the amount of information you guys have been able to access in such a short space of time. It is really pleasing to know that these two ex soldiers survived the D Day landings and the rest of the war, and live to a ripe old age.

If there are no objections, I plan to write an article on the finds, and the work that was done (is being done) by yourself and Club Members to trace the families. I will submit the article to one or both of our Detecting Magazines, 'Searcher' and 'Treasure Hunting' in the hope that they will publish.

I am well impressed, thank you.
Looking forward to (hopefully) more updates

Regards
David.

Note to David about contacting Edna Magwood

Hi David,

One down and one to go!!

I talked with Edna Magwood (David Ochoa Daughter) and told her that her fathers dog tags from WW2 were found by your metal detecting club. I explained to her where the tags were found and that David and his company were camped there shortly after the invasion. She was so excited and could not believe after 68 years that someone would find something like that and was really grateful that we cared enough to spend the time and effort to locate her family. She mentioned that she was not aware that her father had lost them since he never mentioned it to the family. She did confirm that David was part of the invasion force on D-Day and that he made it home safe and sound without any injuries. She also mentioned to me that all of David's sisters and brothers are now deceased, but all of his children (Edna Magwood, Evelyn Hickman, Helen Jaimez) are still alive and will be very excited as well to have something as personal as his dog tags returned. She said that they would cherish them and pass them along to David's grandchildren.

Here is Edna's address.

Edna M. Magwood
8534 Mardi Gras Ln
West Jordan, UT 84088-2762

I told her that I would call her back and let her know when the tags were mailed and approximately when they would arrive. You may want to write her a little note with it to explain how and where you found them and the steps you took to pull this group together to find her family. Might help get you started on your story for the Detecting Magazines. Knowing what you've done already, you were probably planning on doing that without me suggesting it.

A BIG thanks needs to go out to Jason (Jason in ID is his user name) of the Finds Treasure Forums for providing Edna's address and phone number. I posted the story on the forum and Jason took it upon himself to do some research and find her contact information. I will let Jason know that his hard work paid off and try to get his full name so you can give him credit in your article.

I want to thank you for the opportunity to get in involved. It's been a very satisfying experience and I enjoyed talking with Edna. I could tell by the inflection in her voice that she was just overwhelmed.

Now, I just need to close the loop on Carl Price. The way I feel right now, I may have to just jump in the car and drive to Roanoke and find his wife.

Thanks,

Steven C. Reigel

Update - Talked with Carl Price's wife (Susan) this morning.

See below for details. This is the end of the story. Thanks for reading.

Note to David about contacting Susan Quist.

David,

Good news, I just talked to Susan Quist (Carl's wife, she's 91). She had received the message from her church about the dog tags and was very excited to talk to me. She said that her husband had told her that he lost his dog tags but he did not know where. Now she knows. She said that Carl was part of the D-Day invasion and he was there on D-Hour. I'm assuming that meant he was part of the initial force that hit the beach on D-Day. She told me about the medals (Purple Heart, Silver Star, and an Oak Leaf Cluster) that Carl received for his service during the war. She was very proud of him. I asked her if Carl knew David Ochoa? She said that Carl was not very good at remembering names of all the people that he served with during the invasion (there were so many), but he did mention to her that their were many Spanish looking guys in his unit, so they may have been in the same unit.

Here is Susan's address.

Susan R Quist
7311 Scarlet Oak Ct.
Roanoke, Va 24019-2148

Another thanks needs to go out to Jason (Jason in ID is his user name) of the Finds Treasure Forums for helping find Susan's contact information.

Well, my work is done. Please get back in touch with me when you mail the dog tags off, so I can give the families a heads up.

It's been a pleasure working with you and everyone involved. Please let me know if I can help again in the future. Who knows, maybe we'll get a chance to detect together sometime.

Take care,

Steven C. Reigel

I was just on BBC Radio in Wales giving an interview about the story behind locating the relatives for the WW2 dog tags that were found by the Swansea Metal Detecting Club, Wales, UK. I was on with Ron Sanders (the gentlemen who found the tags). I was on air at 1740 BST this evening. You can listen to the broadcast at bbc.co.uk/radiowales

Wow, and you still talk to us common folk! :wave:

What a guy!

Sailorman said:
Wow, and you still talk to us common folk! :wave:

What a guy!

I am just a common folk who was excited about being recognized for my part in returning the lost dog tags to the family of these brave WW2 veterans. Talking to the families and hearing the stories about what Carl and David did for their country and their struggles to stay alive during the D-Day invasion was the real reward.

No problem, I completely understand! Just trying to be funny.

Today's young generation are losing any understanding of what happened and we need anything that will get them to learn and remember. My father survived 5 amphib operations in the South Pacific. He couldn't really talk much about it until he cracked the door a little at the end of his life. The price of freedom is high, thanks for what you did.

I'm a vet myself.