Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Helping you stand up when your legs are weak

fjs440

I have never posted to this forum, but maybe this can help someone.

I am in my eighties with arthritis and very weak legs. Getting up from the ground is impossible without some help.

I take along a “sitting-kneeling” bench. The kind used for gardening and can cost less than twenty/thirty dollars. When I find something I want to dig, I mark the spot and go get the bench from wherever I left it. I do the dig, then I can use my arms to help me stand up and move on to my next find. My arms may not be as strong as my legs, but they sure make it easier on my legs. This bench has added many years of fun to my hobby.

Note: Around public parks, basketball courts, socker sidelines, etc. the bench is never far away. :clapping:

I hope you find this useful.

fjs440 said:
I have never posted to this forum, but maybe this can help someone.

I am in my eighties with arthritis and very weak legs. Getting up from the ground is impossible without some help.

I take along a “sitting-kneeling” bench. The kind used for gardening and can cost less than twenty/thirty dollars. When I find something I want to dig, I mark the spot and go get the bench from wherever I left it. I do the dig, then I can use my arms to help me stand up and move on to my next find. My arms may not be as strong as my legs, but they sure make it easier on my legs. This bench has added many years of fun to my hobby.

Note: Around public parks, basketball courts, socker sidelines, etc. the bench is never far away. :clapping:

I hope you find this useful.

I participate in another forum that deals with severe physical handicaps. One of the biggest problems is "what if I fall on the floor, for whatever reason? I'm stuck there." An indoors problem. It's a problem in need of a good solution. Maybe there's something out there, but I don't know what it is. I've entertained the idea of modifying a furniture dolly, you crawl onto the dolly and hopefully can get to someplace in the house where you can get a good grip on something you can pull yourself up with. Of course the dolly has to be close by, otherwise you could spend half an hour trying to crawl 10 feet to get to it.

Another problem is regular wheelchairs. They're designed for sitting in. So far, so good. But they're really difficult to transfer to and from: the wheels and arm rests put up a barrier. I think the solution is 18-20" wheels and a bench seat, but haven't tried it yet.

And, regular wheelchairs are made strictly for flat surfaces. Take 'em outdoors,and you quickly discover they're just plain not made for that. I've field tested a couple of prototype wheelchairs that solve many of the problems and am presently building a "for real" one with a carbon fiber composite frame. Going is slow, it probably won't be rideable any early than September.

Yet another problem with regular wheelchairs: They're powered by the triceps, not the stronger biceps, and the force needed for propulsion shifts the center of gravity in the wrong direction, inviting tipover. The ergonomics are completely backwards. There's an accessory on the market with a built-in planetery gear that reverses the rotation, but it's horribly expensive and "one size fits all" meaning it's usually the wrong size.

And still another problem with regular wheelchairs: no mechanical advantage. 6 degree (10% grade) slopes are not uncommon, and unless you're strong, they're a showstopper. And if you are strong, the force required will likely flip you backward.

And still another problem yet: going downhill, there's no driving brakes. It's just your hands on the rim or tire. You get burned, it takes a lot of effort, and you can't take advantage of a slope to build up a little speed. What's needed is real brakes.

The search term "garden scooter" images will bring up a lot of pix. Huge variety. Some possibly useful for other purposes.

I think it’s great that you are still hunting. You have seemed to overcome your weaknesses and still enjoy the hobby. Kudos to you and just to let you know that you are an inspiration to all.

https://www.ohuhu.com/product/ohuhu-garden-seat I think something like this is what fjs440 is talking about.

brother steve said:
I think it’s great that you are still hunting. You have seemed to overcome your weaknesses and still enjoy the hobby. Kudos to you and just to let you know that you are an inspiration to all.

I'm impressed as well !!!

II have a similar problem but probably not as bad. I mainly relic hunt so I use a long, light shovel to ease down then use it to pull myself up. I crouch on my right knee so I use a knee pad even in soft soil. Old age is hard but it beats the alternative.

Well sir ,,,, I am impressed as well, and hope you have many more productive years of hunting ahead of you. I believe I could use some of your willpower and ambition. You sir , are definetly an inspiration. And thank you for sharing with us how you continue to enjoy the hobby .

Try this. Works well for me.

That's a good idea. You must be in better shape than I am. Maybe if i had two of those each about two foot long it might work.

Keep on digging.
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones
Garrett Z-Lynk