Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here, Here or Here

buckeeeee

I hunt the beach 99% of the time with my Nox 600 and during my hunts I have noticed that quarters are ringing up just fine (28, 29, 30) but scooping them up is sometimes confusing, they don't seem to be where the sound is, it sometimes takes me 3 to 4 scopes to find it. I like to use the wiggle method until the sound ends and then scoop at the end of the coil. I don't usually use the pin point, but I find myself using it more when digging quarters now. I have also noticed on U Tube videos that this happens also. Maybe its my Nox or maybe its operator head space, does anybody else experience this?

I hunt the beach 99% of the time with my Nox 600 and during my hunts I have noticed that quarters are ringing up just fine (28, 29, 30) but scooping them up is sometimes confusing, they don't seem to be where the sound is, it sometimes takes me 3 to 4 scopes to find it. I like to use the wiggle method until the sound ends and then scoop at the end of the coil. I don't usually use the pin point, but I find myself using it more when digging quarters now. I have also noticed on U Tube videos that this happens also. Maybe its my Nox or maybe its operator head space, does anybody else experience this?
Make sure the coil cable is tighten and not loose.Also try put the coil over the coin right in the
middle of the coil,see if this works for you.Another thing you might try is going from the 15"
coil to the 11" and try all these things first and see if this helps you..

What size coil and recovery speed are you using ?

I'd increase the recovery speed. The faster the recovery, the smaller the target sound. Sort of like retuning over the target using the pin point button. Recovery 4 is the lowest I use but most of the time I have it at 5 -6.

Standard coil and recovery speed of 3.
I was talking to another detectorist (fwcrawford) about your situation and he suggested that coins could be deeper then you think and you may not be digging deep enough. With your setup you are going to go deep!

I'd increase the recovery speed. The faster the recovery, the smaller the target sound. Sort of like retuning over the target using the pin point button. Recovery 4 is the lowest I use but most of the time I have it at 5 -6.
I see you use the Nox 800, I have the 600, 3 is the highest for the 600. The 3 setting on the 600 is equal to 6 on the 800. I have always used 3 maybe I will try the lower recovery speed to see if that works.

I missed this point too…. Lowering the recovery speed will give you more depth.
Not sure if it will help you locating those quarters better.
Are you having issues in dry sand or wet sand?
My thought is that the quarters are deeper and you are not missing them, but they are simply deeper than you realize.
I’m headed to beach next month and will be using an 800…. I’ll let you know what results I get on quarters.

Fwiw, I have a hell of a time pinpointing with the nox -- my plugs are 30% bigger than my etrac. In my soil, I don't even look at the depth gauge anymore.

On the beach, I'll pull often pull out my pinpointer first, to see if I can locate it that way, before scooping.

I missed this point too…. Lowering the recovery speed will give you more depth.
Not sure if it will help you locating those quarters better.
Are you having issues in dry sand or wet sand?
My thought is that the quarters are deeper and you are not missing them, but they are simply deeper than you realize.
I’m headed to beach next month and will be using an 800…. I’ll let you know what results I get on quarters.
The dry sand because that is where I hunt 90% of the time. Good luck at the beach, it has been very very good to me. Dig those low and mid tones that is were the gold is.

Fwiw, I have a hell of a time pinpointing with the nox -- my plugs are 30% bigger than my etrac. In my soil, I don't even look at the depth gauge anymore.

On the beach, I'll pull often pull out my pinpointer first, to see if I can locate it that way, before scooping.
I may have the same problem at the beach, but I do not have any issues inland.
I do not even use pin point.
I just X the signal and dig.
I will admit that in my opinion, the depth gauge not accurate, but I have gotten used to that by listening to how loud the signal is.

The dry sand because that is where I hunt 90% of the time. Good luck at the beach, it has been very very good to me. Dig those low and mid tones that is were the gold is.
That is surprising you are having trouble in the dry sand.
I’ll be using the 11” coil also when I go, but my scoop is pretty big.
Have you tried simply Xing the target without using pinpoint or the tip of tue coil?
I do not think you are missing them due to depth as I wrote before.

That is surprising you are having trouble in the dry sand.
I’ll be using the 11” coil also when I go, but my scoop is pretty big.
Have you tried simply Xing the target without using pinpoint or the tip of tue coil?
I do not think you are missing them due to depth as I wrote before.

I have a RTG 47" aluminum scoop which is small but weighs less then 3lbs. I think my problem might be the size of the smaller scoop. I used a big boy scoop (CKG) today and first scoop 9 out 10 times I got my target, problem solved. In addition, this is way you dig the low tones at the beach, this morning 3-4 VDI. 14K and the diamond is the real deal.
20210815_085341 (2).jpg
Screenshot_20210815-085435_Gallery.jpg

Very nice find…, I agree, a big scoop makes all the difference.
Especially near the surf where the waves are… you need to dig quick and find your target.
I believe you said you only hunt dry sand though.

Nice score on that diamond earring!!! :clapping: :clapping:
One other thing I do when I get over shallow targets is to raise the coil up some… this helps me whether I am inland or at the beach.