Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here I go again ... need your help!

larryk56

Here I go again! Getting back into the hobby!
I'm going to buy a detector from one of the sponsors on this site so help me decide.

I am a person who likes to hunt for Coins and Jewelry ( mostly jewelry)
(A pocket full of change really won't excite me all that much)!

I will mostly detect tot lots, soccer fields - live in WI so salt water beaches not likely.

I want to buy me a decent detector and my budget is fairly open.

What's a good detector that is easy to use, that is going to be great for jewelry.

I liked the V3i (because of the polar plot) but I read that the machine
takes an engineering degree to set it up correctly?

Feedback appreciated

Larryk56,
Kind of a tough one.... Let me ask you this..... You mentioned getting back into the hobby....
What has been your experience in the past? What make model of detector or detectors had you used before?
For years I had been a tried and true Whites user.With a few bounty Hunters, Teknetics thrown in there. I'm mostly like you... A coinshooter slash jewelry.
This year, I have just bought a Garrett AT Pro due to trying to keep cost down a little and to try "the other guys" detector for a switch.
It is a very user friendly machine with enough advanced features for me ....for now at least...and as a plus..it is waterproof!...for me, it mostly fear of rain getting into the main box while hunting..

I can only tell you from only a little time running the ATP that I am very pleased with the new machine but that is only me.
I went from a Whites Specrum and Eagle two sl 90. From the 1990's took a few years break n recently. Re kindled the hobby a few years ago...

Also, I am a little behind on all the new technology of the new detectors out there now so i just built up my decision from what I really liked and what really worked well from the mach. In my past mixed in with alot of reading these forums...it is just what i did though.

You will probably get a huge assortment of opinions.... So ..what machines Have you ran before?
That may help you decide.... Good luck and
HH. HaloEffect426. :detecting:

I would suggest you read through the White's MXT forum Larry. I think it will do what you want in a detector.

I like finding everything but I am a jewelry hunter at my core.
I use all kinds but I have my favorites.
I have a Compadre in the arsenal and still pull it out from time to time if just for the shear fun of swinging that thing.
If you only use it in tot lots and next to fence lines and metal bench legs it should pay for itself quickly so like a putter in a holder's bag...you don't use it on every stroke but you can't play the game seriously without one.

My prime tools have been Fishers.
I found enough jewelry with an F2 to pay for the thing like 8X's over, silver and gold including chains, so it was natural for me to upgrade within the same family since I already knew lots of the language.
I got an F70 and this thing finds it all both shallow and deep, coins, jewelry, everything, and fairly easily in most sites under most conditions.
Great out of the box factory settings, learn to tweak a bit and you might be shocked at what it can do.
Any coil will work but the standard 10" elliptical concentric is THE premiere jewelry sniffer mounted on this thing...the audio response on jewelry using it is remarkable.
That coil paid for my entire rig within the first couple months in gold finds and never stopped.
Add the big F75 DD and the depth can get scary, throw the 5"DD sniper on this one for extreme iron or trash filled sites and it is a whole new ball game.

If I am not mistaken FTP is still offering the T2 classic for about $499 and the anniversary edition F75 for $599 both discounted by most dealer's while they have them.
These are some of the best values out there on the market right now, my opinion.
The F75 is now quiet with DST and most modern programs on board and has a discrimination spread that is perfect for jewelry hunting with an iron section from 1-15.
Out of the box factory settings will work for most sites, learn to tweak it a bit and no site is off limits, heavy iron, trash, mineralization filled dirt...anywhere.
The large DD coil can easily find targets in iron and heavy trash with the right settings, add the sniper and it makes it all easier.
Throw that optional elliptical concentric on this one and the same as on the F70....the response you get on jewelry is something to behold.

Nothing gets me going more than finding jewelry, especially gold, Fishers have done well for me over the years in this arena.

Rent, borrow and buddy up as there are many great detectors out now, much better than ever before. Be it vlf or pulse the field is amazing BUT one mans pleasure is yet anothers logistical nightmare. Simple and ez with no degree or $7000 needed ever anymore-take your time-John

I would look into the Whie's MXT (ALL) Pro It is like a bunch of detectors in one..
Coin / Jewelry
Relics
Prospecting
Knobs
Back light
Different tones
Ground grab
Locked forward pinpointing (works great with the sun ray probe)
The SEF 6x8" coil is great on it

Wow! - So nice to come to a community here and get all kinds of
suggestions. I thank all of you who chimed in!

In the past, I used a Tesoro Compadre - still have it for tot lots.
Used the AT pro and liked it ...but just wanted to try something new!

I'm leaning towards a Fisher F70 or the T2,

Will have to sleep on it those choices for now ....

What ever you buy, you will find something. Like any other tool -the more you use it the better you are! Most of all -Get headphones----------after1-----------------

Talked to him yesterday...since he is just getting back into it and plans on being mostly a tot lot and public park hunter he is going with the F2...for now.
I know for sure how well this thing finds coins and jewelry so a good choice in my opinion.

I would first find out which metal detectors work well in your area. Then.........I would shop around. Garrett meta detectors offers some great level entries and mid level machines at great prices. The ACE 400 or AT Series comes to mind. Good luck with whatever model you choose. :)